Author Topic: Warships of the TEI (GTD Titan WIP)  (Read 116968 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: Warships of the TEI (RLS: Diomedes - IP: Chimera)
No man, those struts are a design feature. The front part and back part can separate and operate as independent ships yo.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Aesaar

The way those escape pod things are now... well. Let's just say I had no idea they were escape pod hatches until I read what they were supposed to be. They're not very recognizable as something an escape pod comes out of.

They're not hatches.  What you're looking at is the bottom of the Hermes model.

Honestly, the more I look at them, the more I dislike them, so I might just replace them with squarish hatches and leave it at that.  Getting eager to finish this thing and move on.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 07:50:47 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
On the topic of the Raynor discussion, I to, for what it's worth think the struts are a bad thing in the design.

Say what you will about a design's 'character' but when a facet of that character makes what is supposedly an impressive and powerful warship seem like a fragile floating stick it detracts from rather then adds to that character.

I love how no one seems to be complaining about the UEF ships, which are even more fragile in their construction on account of the spinny parts and the large quantities of exposed facilities...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
No, believe me, that's had plenty of discussion.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Well, in all truth, I'm sure it has. But, I will conclude that Stratcomm's ships have a great, unique style to them, and I certainly never found them offensive. In general, if one is looking for realism, or attempts at realism in combat spacecraft design, one is better off writing a new story all together - such realism was never one of FS's agendas to begin with.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That is true. Fortunately, realism is not the issue at stake, nor is anyone offended, and the topic of the general style of Stratcomm's ships has yet to arise.

Offline qwadtep

I for one love the struts on the Raynor. They look cool, and for all we know they're an accepted design weakness because they allow the front and back of the ship to be constructed/replaced separately without having to tear everything apart.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Does this have visible beams for all of its LOD's?

I dunno if this was mentioend before but its kinda disorentating to see a chimera jump in long distance with no beams, then they just suddenly appear at 6k or so.

Offline Droid803

Just make sure at least the beam disch texchures is on LOD1 and maybe LOD2 as well.
(´・ω・`)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
They were on his Diomedes, I'm sure he'll think about it for the rest :)
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Aesaar

Does this have visible beams for all of its LOD's?

I dunno if this was mentioend before but its kinda disorentating to see a chimera jump in long distance with no beams, then they just suddenly appear at 6k or so.

Just make sure at least the beam disch texchures is on LOD1 and maybe LOD2 as well.

Definitely.  One of the things that irks me about the current model is that the very obvious beam emitters disappear when it switches to LOD2 at 3500m.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:07:49 am by Aesaar »

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Square hatches would probably be better (apprechiate the work you put into putting the Hermes in like that though); if you had the pod's underside exposed like that it might get hit by a weapon. Having escape pods on the model is a great touch though; always wondered where they were on ships. :yes:
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Aesaar

About goddamn time I got this thing done.  Was sitting lod and debris half done for two weeks. 

GTCv Pilum and GTCv Hydra, part of the Serkr Hunter-Killer group. (click image for larger)

Download v1.01 (Mediafire)

Unlike the Diomedes, this one is a drop-in replacement.  All the table does is adjust LOD distances and add the "fire down normals" flag to the STerPulse turrets.

Also added a transport dockpoint.

Note I'm aware of the dark area around the nameplate.  The only explanation I can think of is Valathil's shadows not ignoring transparent surfaces.  If you're not using a shadows build, it doesn't show up.

Next in line is the Bellerophon, along with an update for the Diomedes, to resolve the debris issues, the faceting, and to generally increase the detail to the Chimera's level.

Feedback always welcome.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 01:21:04 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Droid803

Re: Warships of the TEI (RLS: Diomedes, Chimera - IP: Bellerophon)
Why is the nameplate still at the bottom :/ Makes it look all cramped because the bottom region is already smaller than the top.
Maybe I should have spoken up about it sooner, but I assumed it stuck to top since the last image was top.

EDIT: Also, the multipart turrets are faceted.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:11:28 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)

Offline Aesaar

The nameplate's on the bottom because I genuinely think it looks better there.  I guess I could make a nameplate on top version if it's that important.  Wouldn't take very long.

Blender really hates me.  I know I set smoothing on those turrets.  Twice.  *sigh*  Must figure out why it keeps on doing this.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm not sure about fire down normals. It'd be awesome...if it worked reliably.

Offline qwadtep

Yeah, I'm really not into the lower nameplate. Would look much less cluttered if moved up.

Love the lights on the wings though. Pretty.

Offline Droid803

I'm not sure about fire down normals. It'd be awesome...if it worked reliably.

"fire on target" ? IIRC that's what that flag was made for, so the AI doesn't get trigger happy with turrets and fire them before they're done turning.
(´・ω・`)

Offline Kolgena

Looks pretty good to me. I have no idea what fire-down-normals is, but I'd be fine with the nameplate if the background wasn't a random rectangle of dark grey.

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
GTC Chimera FTW...I think I might switch sides from he UEF to the GTVA if Aesar continues his awesome work!  :yes: :yes:

However, I do agree that the nameplate would look better higher up, it feels too congested compared to the upper-half of the ship.
That aside, I think that the new Chimera looks awesome on my desktop...  :nod:
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun