Author Topic: AoA Video lag issue  (Read 1925 times)

AoA Video lag issue
Hello folks,
I hope I'm posting on the proper forum. If not, please excuse me and move the thread.
So the problem i'm having is that BP AoA is unplayably slow. Bear with me please.
I have an Acer Aspire V5-552G notebook with AMD Radeon HD8750M inside, and I'm aware that's a stripped down notebook piece of crap, but oh well.
When I start the first mission, and the expeditionary fleet appears readying for the Sol jump the framerate just goes to all hell, and I mean like 1 second teary movement followed by 3 seconds of complete freeze. I suffered through the cutscene, but when I finally got to launch from Orestes, or what the name is some 15 minutes later, the lag only became marginally better.
I've played through FS Port_mediavps, Silent Threat Reborn and FS2 Campaign with MediaVPS_3612 on all maxed settings with no lag problems on this same notebook, so i suppose my question is, is BP AoA really THAT much more demanding on video card or am I missing something obvious?
I followed all the advice in Readme here http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=70745.0 , even deleted the advanced files, as well as performance troubleshooting here http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=70511.0 , i reduced all the settings in both luncher and in game to total minimum, but it didn't seem to help one bit, the cutscene looks like crap but still lags.
I'm launching fs2_open_3_6_17_DEBUG_SSE2_BP.exe which came with the single file executable installer, but i tried the non-debug version first.
If it's indeed just my video card being piece of junk, let me know and I'll hide in shame in the corner and never bother anyone again  :(

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: AoA Video lag issue
Install the BP Compatibility Package pinned in this forum. Switch to 3.7.2 RC3. Enjoy!

It worked, thank you so very much! I'm all jittery and anxious to see where the story goes from the burned earth. This is gonna be one long friday night.  :D

Offline Kolgena

Also consider checking to see that your computer is both switching to the dedicated GPU (the 8750) and is clocking it up to high 3D speeds. At least on my laptop, I get problems with both those steps with an ATI card, and it can drop my performance by up to 80%.

Alright, I guess I can as well post here instead of making a new topic.
I'm now up to the (apparently) last mission in War in Heaven, Universal Truth, everything was going smoothly throughout AoA and most of WiH, although the loading times in WiH were crazy, like 2min+ on first bip, than instantly fills up and 20sec on last bip.
Now I get this:
For ship 'SJ Sathanas', detail level
mismatch. Table has 4,
POF has 3.
ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! SCP_DumpStack + 354 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! Warning + 416 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! ship_create + 721 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! parse_create_object_sub + 77 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! parse_create_object + 193 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! mission_parse_maybe_create_parse_object + 390 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! post_process_ships_wings + 111 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! post_process_mission + 69 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! parse_mission + 1520 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! parse_main + 449 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! mission_load + 228 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! game_start_mission + 184 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! game_enter_state + 511 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! gameseq_set_state + 310 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! game_process_event + 242 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! gameseq_process_events + 152 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! game_main + 782 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! WinMain + 330 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! __tmainCRTStartup + 358 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! WinMainCRTStartup + 15 bytes
kernel32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 18 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 99 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 54 bytes

Any insights into what's wrong/how to fix it please?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
That is a warning, not an error; you can either hit "no" and continue running a debug build, or you can switch to a release build and get much better performance.

Also, unless your CPU is over a decade old, you don't need to use a "NO-SSE" build; the standard should work fine.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Ahhhh don't play with debug builds  :shaking:

Well, I switched into debug mode to have something to post here. If I run normal mode, that game just crashes and stops responding during that loading screen.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
We've just released a new version of AoA and WiH. Please update to that.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Alright, updated through FSO installer and it worked. Amazing storytelling. Cant wait for acts 4 and 5.  :yes: