Author Topic: OLD FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 762552 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: FreeSpace Open Installer! Download it now!
Turey, I love what you've done, as both of these installers have saved my ass and a lot of time hunting for my FS2 discs. But is there any reason why the FSO installer (and the FS2 installer) is downloading at exactly 14.6 kb/s?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

I've tested the installer many times!
I notice it always slows way down when downloading Derelict, which takes hours. This has to be due to bandwidth limitations at the Derelict site. Plus who knows, there could be 1000 people using the installer as we speak. Hunter told me he's served 30,000 downloads in a year which is a LOT.

As an aside, last time I ran the Java installer it downloaded stuff but then never unzipped the files. Unfortunately I don't think Turey has any way of duplicating my specific problems, so they become anecdotal. :(

Yup, huggybaby, same exact problem here, last time I used NSIS the file host was down, then I tried java acouple hours later, and the host worked fine, never used the NSIS since, but I will now.

Good to know I'm not alone.  :blah:

To make sure I had a complete install, I used the ShivanSPS downloads, then the updater, then manually extracted the zips, then deleted unnecessary files...a real PIA.

I've spent days trying to make my own installer/updater and I finally gave up. NSIS, Installshield, Inno Setup, they're all written for coders it seems.

The best solution would be to implement something called "rsync", but it's a command line utility that requires support on the server side, so I gave up on that too.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
As an aside, last time I ran the Java installer it downloaded stuff but then never unzipped the files. Unfortunately I don't think Turey has any way of duplicating my specific problems, so they become anecdotal. :(

I am aware of this problem, and am working to fix it. However, my laptop just died, and while the hard drive is fine, it will be a while before I can get it into a compatible computer to work on it.

Turey, I love what you've done, as both of these installers have saved my ass and a lot of time hunting for my FS2 discs. But is there any reason why the FSO installer (and the FS2 installer) is downloading at exactly 14.6 kb/s?

I've had reports of 2kb/s, and reports of 300kb/s. There's really nothing I can do about this, as I'm not hosting the vast majority of these files.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

I am aware of this problem, and am working to fix it.
Very good, thanks.   :yes:

what files are downloading at 14KBps ?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
what files are downloading at 14KBps ?

The only ones I've heard complaints about are the Port files, but they're going through a bit of trouble with respect to downloads, so that's to be expected...
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Maybe Hunter could put Derelict on his site, that would help a lot.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Maybe Hunter could put Derelict on his site, that would help a lot.

Talk to RazorsKiss about Derelict. He's the one hosting it.

i already am, i repackaged it for my download site because it was in multiple file downloads, i just put it all into one zip file.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
* Turey got lucky: He found a computer with the JDK installed, and so had a chance to work on the Installer.

Java versions of Installer and Updater have been updated, changelog will be updated in ~10 min.

This problem:
As an aside, last time I ran the Java installer it downloaded stuff but then never unzipped the files.
should now be fixed, and the larger downloads now have a "% done" number. Also, several bugs have been fixed.

Don't expect a Java uninstaller anytime soon, as all the work I've done on it is on a hard drive I now have no way of reading, at least until my laptop is repaired.

Also, the unzipper now prints a checksum. Don't get too excited though, cause I'm not doing anything with it... yet. :nervous:

EDIT: Little bug with launcher6.ini fixed.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 12:05:43 pm by Turey »

Offline rms

Hi Turey!  I just did a clean install (on 12/28) of retail FS2, then ran your Java installer.  I saw a few problems:

1)  FSPort is at 3.0.4 now, yours installed 3.0.3
2)  An option is needed to install the FS1 and FS1:ST cutscenes!
3)  The only actual error occurred when trying to extract Transcend files.  I couldn't copy from the dos window, but it gave an error trying to extract to a sub-directory it couldn't find.  Looks like a packaging problem to me.

Everything else worked, as did the Updater, though it didn't flag any problem with Transcend.  Great stuff!

rms
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 10:04:07 am by rms »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
1)  FSPort is at 3.0.4 now, yours installed 3.0.3
Fixed.
2)  An option is needed to install the FS1 and FS1:ST cutscenes!
Fixed, but only the FS1 cutscenes. If you want, I'll put up the ST vids (Headz, Giant C, etc.) as well.
3)  The only actual error occurred when trying to extract Transcend files.  I couldn't copy from the dos window, but it gave an error trying to extract to a sub-directory it couldn't find.  Looks like a packaging problem to me.
Fixed.

Turey, can you add the link to the java to your first post? It's hidden on page 4 now unless I'm missing something.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Turey, can you add the link to the java to your first post? It's hidden on page 4 now unless I'm missing something.

Give me a half-hour or so, I'm working on updating the webpage to reflect the change to Java, then I'll do the first post.

Thanks, BTW, I just downloaded the update and there's no jar or exe, just class files, so I don't know how to make it run.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Thanks, BTW, I just downloaded the update and there's no jar or exe, just class files, so I don't know how to make it run.

You shouldn't need to get the .class files, just get this.

That's the same thing I have, just class files.   :doubt:

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
That's the same thing I have, just class files.   :doubt:

Do you mean that the link is just a .zip full of .class files? If so, just rename the .zip to .jar and run it.

If that doesn't work, you should be able (If you used my Java Utilities) to double-click FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.class, then just hit enter when it asks for parameters.