Author Topic: Small Ship, Big Warp  (Read 953 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Small Ship, Big Warp
So I've been continuing to FRED for my FS: Augmented project, and in one of the chapter 2 loop missions, I've got a wing of GTT Hunter transports jumping in.  For those who don't know, the Hunter is a reskin of the Vasudan Amun class bombers, to be a light Terran transport.  After doing some size comparisons, I decided that a dockpoint on the belly of the Hunter would be just the right size for a VC 3 cargo container to be docked, making it into a light freighter.  While this works properly, As the docked pairing jump in (at least in the one mission I've included them in) the size of the jump vortex is destroyer sized (though the sound matches that for a standard warp sound).  Upon departing, after depositing their cargo, they generate the proper sized vortex.  Does anyone know what could be responsible for this?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: Small Ship, Big Warp
Likely a calculation bungle on FSO's part - docking causes messes at the best if times - but it might be a pof issue with the cargo container. Try it with other containers, and see if the problem persists (also worth checking whether the container causes the same issue docked to other freighters). That should help you narrow down whether the source is the freigher or the container.

If there's something out of place with the VC3 pof, check the submodel radii and reset any that look too large, and make sure there are no pof data points hundreds of metres away from the model surfaces(there shouldn't be, and I'm not100% sure it would matter if there were, but worth a check).

If it's the Hunter, then I'm not sure. Try giving it the freighter flag rather than the transport flag, maybe?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The function dock_calc_max_cross_sectional_radius_perpendicular_to_axis calculates the size of the jump vortex for a group of docked ships.  I suspect what's happening is that the VC3 is unusually large compared to the Hunter, and as a result the proper radius size which encompasses the bottom of the VC3 also extends unexpectedly far above the top of the Hunter.

It's also possible that I messed up the calculations for that function; the math is rather complicated.