Author Topic: Game palette code  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Since the release of the FS2 source code 15 years ago, one of the things that is left untouched: the handling of the game palette code. It requires the PCX file gamepalette1-01.pcx to load in. Basically it's the required palette file for all of the games and associated mods.

Ideally, the palette handling functionality could be redesigned so that it could be independent of any game palette PCX file.

I'd like to accept any suggestions on how to keep this up-to-date with modern standards of today's game engines like Unreal Engine 4, CryEngine V, id Tech 6 and of course, Unity.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Bryan, did you use your expertise as a visionary coder to investigate what the gamepalette file is used for?

(That's a rhetorical question btw, I know you didn't. Because, if you did, you'd know it's not actually used anywhere for anything, except as part of the check for whether or not FS2 is installed.)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

You forgot to namedrop Frostbyte.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Seriously though, the only thing the palette code is in need of is ripping out. We haven't done so yet because it basically doesn't harm anything.

Also seriously: As long as you, Bryan, continue to call yourself a "visionary coder", expect to be ridiculed every single time you post something like the above. Had you simply asked what this file is good for, you might have gotten a different, less snippy answer.

Offline m!m

Actually, I tried removing it but then found out that the nebula code does something weird with it and I couldn't understand how it could be properly replaced.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
Bryan, did you use your expertise as a visionary coder to investigate what the gamepalette file is used for?

(That's a rhetorical question btw, I know you didn't. Because, if you did, you'd know it's not actually used anywhere for anything, except as part of the check for whether or not FS2 is installed.)
I haven't yet. The game palette PCX file is in sparky_fs2.vp file, I know. I'll let you know when I do.
Seriously though, the only thing the palette code is in need of is ripping out. We haven't done so yet because it basically doesn't harm anything.

Also seriously: As long as you, Bryan, continue to call yourself a "visionary coder", expect to be ridiculed every single time you post something like the above. Had you simply asked what this file is good for, you might have gotten a different, less snippy answer.
All right, then. I noted.
Actually, I tried removing it but then found out that the nebula code does something weird with it and I couldn't understand how it could be properly replaced.
m!m, maybe you could make use of shaders and GPGPUs.
So, I'm considering this (along with particle system additions, improved lens flare support from The E, Vulkan?, OpenCollada support) to be added into my part of my build that will be started as soon as the FSO 3.8 release candidate 1 is out.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline m!m

Correction: The_E determined that the code I was referring to is actually unreachable without some weird debug hacking so this isn't actually true.

m!m, maybe you could make use of shaders and GPGPUs.
Do you even know what these words mean? From the way you are using them I would guess not.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So, I'm considering this (along with particle system additions, improved lens flare support from The E, Vulkan?, OpenCollada support) to be added into my part of my build that will be started as soon as the FSO 3.8 release candidate 1 is out.

Are you also planning to do any work yourself?

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Yes. I'm planning to implement your lens flare from your github branch, along with my features I've planned for the last two years.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Does that mean that you, singlehandedly, finished Vulkan and Collada support?

Offline Luis Dias

I'm guessing he kinda envisioned himself doing it. Because... that's what visionaries do, right? They env.... ok ok ok, sorry.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Actually, it's not on the FS2 game code. It's on FRED2 (now FRED2_Open) and also WXFred2. I've got through the GitHub's search.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
So I take it you didn't notice the "#if 0" line that completely disabled the first search result? Thanks for pointing out that other parts of FRED still call palette_load_table(), though.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
You're welcome, AdmiralRalwood. This information should apply to wxFRED2 as well.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
This information should apply to wxFRED2 as well.
What? No it ****ing well shouldn't. It won't even apply to FRED2 for very much longer.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Actually, it's not on the FS2 game code. It's on FRED2 (now FRED2_Open) and also WXFred2. I've got through the GitHub's search.

With me as the current author and project lead of wxFRED2, I can assert that there is no Vulkan nor Collada support on it.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.