Author Topic: Warships of the TEI (GTD Titan WIP)  (Read 116936 times)

Offline Goblix

Re: Warships of the TEI (RLS: Diomedes - IP: Chimera)
Both of these ships are just stunning. I really love the direction you've taken with the ships giving them harder edges.

It's great to see these updated as well, visuals wise they were some of the ugliest ships in Blue Planet, the mod really needed this!

Great job, I'm anxious to see what you do with the other TEI warships.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Discussion in the other thread reminds me - when you redo the Raynor, please kill those awful mid-hull struts.

Discussion in the other thread reminds me - when you redo the Raynor, please kill those awful mid-hull struts.
Oh thank god.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
What do you call strut ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
There's a gap about two-thirds down the Raynor's hull that's bridged by these three girders. It doesn't make much sense, and sort of ruins the illusion that this is a colossal warship which can, in spite of its slim profile, shrug off thermonuclear-yield hits.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
So it doesn't bother you on both the Chimera and the Bellerophon, but suddenly, out of the blue, it's awful on the Raynor ?

It doesn't make much sense
Since when does it have to be ? Have you ever heard about something called Rule of Cool ?

So yeah, sure, let's remove all the distinctive features from our ships ! What could possibly go wrong ?

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The reason it doesn't bother me on the Chimera and the Belle is that it looks good there, and it doesn't on the Raynor. It's not cool, it doesn't contribute to its overall impact on the viewer (unlike on the corvettes, which are supposed to give the glass-cannon impression).

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I think it looks good where it is. It's also consistent with other Stratcomm's ships.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The Chimera and Bellerophon are basically beam cannons with engines attached to them. Making them bulkier would delay their entry into service, and make them more expensive, two things the GTVA can not really afford. Geting them out there now and then maybe bulking them up later makes more sense as it gets enormous amounts of firepower on target quickly.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

The Chimera and Bellerephon are both beam cannons with engines. They're designed to jump in, obliterate their target with one or two beam salvos, and get out. If they're destroyed in the course of this, they're expendable. It makes perfect sense for the GTVA to skimp on structure and armor on these ships in the interests of saving costs and increasing speed and maneuverability. You can even make a rule of cool argument about leaving the beam cannon tubes (which is what the spindles on these two ships are) open to space to promote cooling, even though in reality this wouldn't work.

The Raynor is designed to get in the thick of things and fight as a line warship, as evidenced by having its beams and torpedoes dispersed across its hull rather than all clustered forward. It needs to keep the admiral onboard safe while he directs the battle, and as a destroyer it is absolutely not expendable. The spindles don't line up to any of the Raynor's beam cannons; they're just there, and serve no purpose other than making the Raynor look like something you could snap over your knee like a twig.

The Raynor's spindles are the science fiction equivalent of this:

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The reason it doesn't bother me on the Chimera and the Belle is that it looks good there
Works for me.

and it doesn't on the Raynor.
Wait what.

It's not cool, it doesn't contribute to its overall impact on the viewer (unlike on the corvettes, which are supposed to give the glass-cannon impression).
140k HP and a frontal HBlue/BBlue pair still enter the glass cannon category to me. A Raynor is still Shivan beam fodder, much more than even the Chimera and Bellerophon if you look at volume/HP ratio.

In any case, who cares about all of that. We're all trying to make sense about stuff, which is completely irrelevant here. This gap is a distinctive feature, and there is just no viable reason to remove it out of the blue.

140k HP and a frontal HBlue/BBlue pair still enter the glass cannon category to me. A Raynor is still Shivan beam fodder, much more than even the Chimera and Bellerophon if you look at volume/HP ratio.
The HP of corvettes relative to destroyers in FreeSpace has never made a whole lot of sense.

In WiH, at least, the tabled hitpoints are (often) bull**** that get replaced with special hits and armor categories that reflect the ships' actual capabilities.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I concur, the Raynor's girders should disappear.
el hombre vicio...

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken