Author Topic: Lightning Marshall 3: Where Eagles Dare error  (Read 1886 times)

Offline CT27

Lightning Marshall 3: Where Eagles Dare error
In mission 8 ("Crime Never Pays") in Lightning Marshall 3:  Where Eagles Dare, I ran into a technical problem.  The mission's technical designation is "LM3_08.FS2"

The objective is to capture a traitor on an NTF transport (the NTT Beauregard).  The two primary objectives were "Capture the traitor" and "Protect the Escher".

I did both of those objectives.  The allied transport docked with the Beauregard and then jumped out and eventually the Escher jumped out too.  However, when I pressed F4, the objectives hadn't been filled in green there.  I went to x64 compression for some time but nothing happened.  Neither did I get a directive to return to base.

When I did jump out it told me I failed the mission even though I actually satisfied both objectives.

Can anyone think of a reason why a mission wouldn't record completing the objectives as successful and allow me to pass on to the next mission normally?

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Re: Lightning Marshall 3: Where Eagles Dare error
Well, most likely the events and/or objectives in this mission are wrong :).

So i would like to help you... but for that, i have to know, which version of LM3 you are playing.

Because next to the original release of course, there are two different remastered versions out there.
fightermedic's with a different flight physic and macfie's with the original freespace physics
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline CT27

It's Macfie's version with the 'normal' FS type of physics.

I was using the final version of 3.8.0.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
That is indeed a strange mission... sometimes i have to question, what the FSCRP had actually fixed back then :nono:
Some bugs are maybe present, because previous FSO versions does things differently... but that does not explain much other errors, this mission has.

Not only there are no events to complete the mission in the case the SOC Lancer 1 dies...
It does not repair the engines on the transport when it should do it. But that seems to be an error in the game, because it does repair the Engines on the Beauregard only, if i use the <All Engines> instead Engines subsystem... that does not make much sense IMO.

Also the weapon loadout is a complete mess in this mission. So as it was never realized that the equipped weapons are not working on the available ships.

But this Mission Objective does not work, because it depends on a ship, that is only present in the mission, if you lose Lancer 1 (maybe one of the "previous version is different" thing). But if you lose Lancer 1, there are no events to solve the mission in the first place.
Also the second mission objective does not have to do much with the condition if the Escher depart the mission.. the Escher have only to be alive when the first objective is done. Very strange...

But i was able to fix and to finish this mission. Even there are a lot of events in this mission which could be optimized easily for better gameplay.

Copy the attached mission into the data\missions folder of FSCRP_The Lightning Marshal

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 06:44:41 pm by Novachen »
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline CT27

Thank you for your effort.

However, I ran into a problem with it.  When I loaded the mission, the warning popup came and said one weapon was missing.  I looked and it was unfortunately the HR-11 Katana (which is a pretty important weapon in TLM campaigns).  Is it possible this could get back in somehow?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:51:22 pm by CT27 »

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Huh... interestingly it seems, that i had another (older?) version of this mod installed in the data folder.
Even i do not have a clue which version that was.. in this the Katana is an ammo based weapon and there are some differences in the tables. Also the background of the mission is completely different.

But the errors in the mission itself were not  :)

Sorry about my oversight. I thought the files in data were the extraction of the proper version.

Offline CT27

It looks like it worked, thanks!  The Beauregard was captured and the Escher escaped and both of those objectives turned green in F4.

When I jumped out though it said there was no mission debriefing for this mission.  Although it may have been that way before, I can't remember.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Mh.. there is a debriefing stage for this mission.

But i have to admit, that i did not check that out. Because i was convinced that this would work  :D

The debriefing event for this stage looks also very unusual in comparsion of much other missions i saw, but actually it should work, because all the needed conditions are met during the mission.

Because the conditions for this stage to appear are:

NTT Beauregard needs to be have a Friendly IFF (is met with the docking of the Lancer transports)
NTT Beauregards have to depart the mission (is met with the jump out)
The SOCv Escher is not destroyed (should also be true if the ship was not destroyed before your jump out and should also be still true when this ship has departed(?))

Actually i do not have a clue why this is not working in the first place. Every condition is met.
Were you able to finish the mission to continue with the campaign?

Otherwise i could change the conditions easily to ensure, that they are met.

But nonetheless, seems, that at least this mission needs a lot of upgrading in the future. Maybe the FSCRP put LM again on the list :)
Or there are some errors in the behaviour of events in the game, like the "engine" vs "<all engines>" problem, where the first one does not work to reactivate a ship.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 05:24:44 pm by Novachen »

Offline CT27

A few days ago was when I played this mission in the campaign.  I had to do the thing where you died 5X to progress in the campaign.

My successful playing of the mission today (the objectives 'capture the traitor' and 'protect Escher' turned green and I got the successful debriefing music) was through me playing that mission in the techroom.  I'm going to presume that if I played it in the campaign I'd be able to progress (before you did your fix I would get a failure debriefing text about how I shouldn't jump out early and the failure debriefing music).  This is definitely better than the situation a few days ago so I thank you for your work so far. 

Can you think of why the successful debriefing text might not show up in the debriefing screen (all it said was "No debriefing for LM3_08")?

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
The debriefing does not show up, because it seems, that the specific conditions for them to appear is not met. Even i do not have a clue why this happens, because all mentioned conditions for the "best outcome" are met during the mission. The Beauregard get friendly, has departed and the Escher was not destroyed.
But at least one of this conditions does not trigger and so is not recognized by the game.

If you failure one of the objectives, you surely would get a debriefing stage. Because their conditions are very clearly set in the debriefing editor.

But i attached a version with edited debriefing conditions. The changed conditions should be fail-safe.

I took a deeper look into this mission and saw, that there is also a RTB directive next to a message, that is not triggered. So it seems, that it was intended, that you do not have to wait for the Escher to jump out.
So i changed some events and also set a departure cue for the Escher to jump out shortly after the Beauregard... but you do not have to wait for that.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 05:41:35 am by Novachen »

Offline CT27

Thank you!  The mission works and I got the debriefing text.  :)