Author Topic: High Poly Leviathan  (Read 66314 times)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
As with anything, how the FSU as a staff vote is irrelephant. How the community decides is what will happen.

If everybody has in fact gotten used to Blue and wants to keep it that way, then that's where I'll decide it goes.
Alternatives to many things can be made possible by anybody after that.

Otherwise, this has quite clearly turned into a mess conversationally wise and I for one am only going to ask once that we bring the temperature down a notch or two.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I like blue leviathan for reasons:

1. Visual Identification (regardless of how easy it is to tell apart with the different geometry, it would probably be easier with different glows as well!)
2. Color Diversity (rainbows are fabulous, etc.)
3. Red, being the "hotter" color is on the Fenris which is lighter armored and faster "attack cruiser", blue the "cooler color" is on the heavier armored and slower "defensive cruiser"
4. With RedFenris and NotRedLeviathan, the red one goes three two times faster. This is the most important one.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

1. Visual Identification (regardless of how easy it is to tell apart with the different geometry, it would probably be easier with different glows as well!)
3. Red, being the "hotter" color is on the Fenris which is lighter armored and faster "attack cruiser", blue the "cooler color" is on the heavier armored and slower "defensive cruiser"
4. With RedFenris and NotRedLeviathan, the red one goes three two times faster. This is the most important one.

I'm quoting this post because I think it's right.

I'm quoting this post because I think it's right.

Me as well. Blue/red is a cool way of showing the difference between similar Terran units.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

1. We're leaning towards having hugely reduced glows on the side of the Leviathan. It's not going to be like Galemp's one where it looked like all of the more vital stuff didn't get armor put over it :p
2. I guess 1 will play in with this, but I think Oddgrim's idea was to have their base hull material be different well. (I concede this point, that bit before wasn't an argument against more than it was adding additional information).
3 That's a fair point, though what colors imply is suggestive. I think red is a bit more of an imposing color, personally and even as a fighter pilot the Fenris does not frighten me in the least, and the Leviathan isn't clam when it's in range.  :nervous:  (except in that one FS2 mission but I don't think a cargo container versus a Fenris is a fair fight (I'm not arguing against this point either, just providing a different PoV as I see and understand exactly what you mean)
4. I'm not entirely sure what you mean here.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Painting it red always makes it go faster.  Always.

Given that the Fenris will still have big red glows I don't think target identification is going to be an issue like people are making out. I do think the Levi should have some blue glows though, even if they're much more muted than the old model.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
4. I'm not entirely sure what you mean here.

Sorry about this. Pleasedon'tkillme.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Yeah, I realized my mistake soon after I posted that. :P Haven't done anything with 40K in a while so it slipped my mind.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Beautifully textured,light years ahead of the current model,keep up the excellent work!

Offline Skarab

Got excited to see a new comment regarding this work of art... what's the latest on its progress?  All has been quiet on this front for a bit now.

Offline Mpez

Got excited to see a new comment regarding this work of art
Same here. This song comes to my mind every time I see pics of the new model

progress?

Oddgrim has not been present since a couple of months so I guess that we will have to wait until he comes back. Then we can expect some updates on the projects he was making.
Please be patient.

Offline Aesaar

Seriously, stop asking for progress reports.  Do you think people go "oh someone asked if there's progress, now I can show everything I've done."?

People don't need you to remind them to update their model threads.  If they've done something, they'll show it.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Seriously, stop asking for progress reports.  Do you think people go "oh someone asked if there's progress, now I can show everything I've done."?

People don't need you to remind them to update their model threads.  If they've done something, they'll show it.

I don't really agree with this position. I don't think that its uncommon for projects to be pushed to the back burner and then quietly forgotten by modders - I do it all the time. A quick post on a thread might be enough to remind a modder about this or that cool old project that they were working on, and the knowledge that other people are still excited for it might possibly help motivated them to finish it.

Sure, a single word post might not be the best way to go about it, and obviously pestering people every few days would be counter predictive, but if there's not been a post in a long time  on a thread that you're excited about, I don't see the harm in a gentle, encouraging prod.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Aesaar

Speaking as a modeler, when I make decent progress on a model, I'm rather looking forward to seeing what people think of it.  I neither need nor want to be prodded about model progress, because when I've got something to show, I'll want to show it.

It's not like it's been years.  If Oddgrim hasn't posted anything, he's probably busy (which he is, since IIRC he's working on that Lord of Rigel project).  I don't think he needs to be reminded he has FSO models in progress.  I certainly wouldn't.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:52:59 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Speaking as a modeler, when I make decent progress on a model, I'm rather looking forward to seeing what people think of it.  I neither need nor want to be prodded about model progress, because when I've got something to show, I'll want to show it.

It's not like it's been years.  If Oddgrim hasn't posted anything, he's probably busy (which he is, since IIRC he's working on that Lords of Rigel project).  I don't think he needs to be reminded he has FSO models in progress.  I certainly wouldn't.

Your experience isn't the only one though. Also speaking as a modeller, I've finished projects that I had effectively forgotten about because someone reminded me about them.

Again, I'm not encouraging people to bump threads every week, our over and over again. There has to be a degree of common sense utilized, as with anything. But I've seen you make similar posts a couple of times now and, given that these kinda of little topic bumps are easily ignored and don't hurt anyone, I wanted to take this one as an opportunity to make it clear that "No progress requests" isn't any kind of hard and fast rule around here.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Aesaar

Alright, duly noted.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
You know, looking at this, I am somewhat confused as to just what ISN'T finished.

The model is complete has a working texture and from the browser preview it looks to have shine, glow and normal maps.
I know oddgrim mentioned something about adding more grime around the engines, but I can't see anyone noticing it that much once in game, and even if it ISN'T finished, it already looks tons better than what's in the game now.

So, yeah, aside from final "it's only 98% perfect" nitpicks and converting it for FSO use, what progress is there TO be made?
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons