Author Topic: DRADIS acronym -  (Read 4609 times)

Offline Horizon

I see people using the long-hand Direction, RAnge and DIStance. 

However, anyone who's used a radar will tell you Range IS Distance.  That's what 'range' means.  Range to target means Distance to it.  So Range and Distance on a radar as separate units of measurement...well, can someone explain what they mean by Range and Distance as two different units?

I always thought DRADIS stood for Directional Radiological Alarm Detection and Identification System.  Makes more sense to me.

What do you guys think?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I think it's a radar with coloured blips and stuff. Fancy names are for fancy people. I'm just there kill stuff.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I see people using the long-hand Direction, RAnge and DIStance. 

However, anyone who's used a radar will tell you Range IS Distance.  That's what 'range' means.  Range to target means Distance to it.  So Range and Distance on a radar as separate units of measurement...well, can someone explain what they mean by Range and Distance as two different units?

I always thought DRADIS stood for Directional Radiological Alarm Detection and Identification System.  Makes more sense to me.

What do you guys think?

Direction, RAnge, DIStance is canon. Sorry.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Direction, Range, and Discrimination makes much more sense to me even if it's not canon. A big part of DRADIS' functions is to discriminate different ship classes and their IFF signatures.

Offline newman

To play devil's advocate, range and distance don't necessarily have to mean the same thing. Range can mean range of perception - in this case, a spherical area around the ship inside which DRADIS can detect targets. Distance can then signify distance to targets and between them.

A bit of a stretch, I know, but sci-fi fans are used to stretching reality to cover for lazy writers anyway :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I thought Direction, Range, and Displacement was always the most parsimonious.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
The "Direction, RAnge, and DIStance" breakdown of the acronym "DRADIS" was listed in an early manuscript of the first half of the Miniseries. Since some major elements of this script were changed (such as Kobol being the sole home of the Colonies, and not separate worlds) in comparison to the completed teleplay, canonical use of this breakdown should be taken with some skepticism.

There is some evidence to suggest that the original breakdown is the canonical version. In "Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part I", Crashdown performs a DRADIS sweep of Kobol. The aerial survey is later presented to the President. For a brief moment, as Roslin takes the survey image out of Billy Keikeya's hand, the DRADIS information printed on the image is visible. The letters on the image are clear and are as follows:
Aerial Survey
D. 41376
Ra. 145.8
Dis. 43.5
The letters represent numerical values. While this is not conclusive evidence, it is consistent with the original manuscript definition.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Perhaps the sensor...

Determines the range* to a given contact group and then determines the sphere of infulence** of the contact group?

That actually may be a novel way of dealing with a massive number of contacts at once. For instance in a modern radar set, you may have a Range-While-Search mode (RWS), which will cover a broad range of contacts, but the set itself is rather passive - the radar will need to go into Single-Target-Track (STT) to pick a target to actively lock on to. Track-While-Scan (TWS), however, will actively keep dibs on many contacts simultaneously, but has a limit on how many it can track at any given time.

Thus, if you can break contacts up into large formations, and then break a selected formation down into multiple elements, you can deal with a very large number of contacts while not over-stressing on processing power (that may be a bit too 1980's, but all the aircraft I grew up loving had those limitations :p ). Combine that with a combat datalink, and you've got a great spread of data communication within a battlegroup.

* range => RA
** sphere of influence => diameter of a contact area => distance => DIS
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

I think it might be better explained in Astronomical terms.
D = Direction as in compass degrees with the ships nose being 0 degrees (yaw)
RA = Right Ascension  which is in degrees also with the horizon being 0 and directly overhead being 90 deg. and -90 for directly below (pitch)
DIS = Distance to target.
That would give you a 3 dimensional position reference

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
It's direction, range, and distance since it's a modified version of the RADAR acronym.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's direction, range, and distance since it's a modified version of the RADAR acronym.

I don't follow. Radio detection and ranging somehow maps to direction, range and distance?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
RA = Right Ascension  which is in degrees also with the horizon being 0 and directly overhead being 90 deg. and -90 for directly below (pitch)

I would otherwise agree but in astronomy context Right Ascension means the target's horizontal separation from a given reference point, and declination is its elevation from horizontal plane.

Reference point in astronomy is typically the point of vernal equinox; in three-dimensional coordinate system for a battlestar, you would probably use the direction of the bow as the fixed point of reference.

Right ascension in astronomy is typically given in hours, minutes and seconds (24 hours to full circle, 60 minutes to an hour, 60 seconds to a minute) because in the Equatorial coordinate-system, objects on celestial sphere seem to move due to Earth's rotation, and it made sense to bind their horizontal location with that horizontal movement; this was useful for porting the equatorial coordinates into local horizontal coordinates which are usually given in altitude (elevation from horizon) and azimuth (distance from north in degrees), both given in degrees.

Declination is given in degrees of angle above (or below) the equator.

The analogy of Equatorial coordinates vs Horizontal coordinates regarding the DRADIS is that if DRADIS used Declination, Right ascension and Distance, that means the navigational program would generate a reference coordinate system that would be the same for all ships, and movement in that system would be relative to this coordinate system. This would make some sense, as then the DRA coordinates of targets would remain constant even if your ship turned towards them or away from them; if all ships in your group used the same reference point, then you could use the same coordinate system to relay position information directly to other ships WITHOUT having them always convert the given values into their own local Horizontal coordinate system, in which the reference point would probably be the forward direction and the local "up" of the ship.

Perhaps the lead ship of a group of ships always transmits their initial reference frame to other ships' DRADIS systems and everyone uses this reference frame for the time they remain in the same system.

Note that ships in Ragtag Fleet always seem to perform jumps with same heading - perhaps this is to facilitate faster DRADIS synchronization, or something.

The "Direction, RAnge, and DIStance" breakdown of the acronym "DRADIS" was listed in an early manuscript of the first half of the Miniseries. Since some major elements of this script were changed (such as Kobol being the sole home of the Colonies, and not separate worlds) in comparison to the completed teleplay, canonical use of this breakdown should be taken with some skepticism.

There is some evidence to suggest that the original breakdown is the canonical version. In "Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part I", Crashdown performs a DRADIS sweep of Kobol. The aerial survey is later presented to the President. For a brief moment, as Roslin takes the survey image out of Billy Keikeya's hand, the DRADIS information printed on the image is visible. The letters on the image are clear and are as follows:
Aerial Survey
D. 41376
Ra. 145.8
Dis. 43.5
The letters represent numerical values. While this is not conclusive evidence, it is consistent with the original manuscript definition.

Well, the problem here is this:

Direction = 41376
Range     = 145.8
Distance  = 43.5

...sense, these values make none.

Even if you interpret the DRADIS acronym as Declination, Right Ascension, Distance, you get

Declination         41376
Right Ascension   145.8 
Distance                43.5

...it still doesn't make perfect sense because 41376 doesn't fit in any angular units I ever heard of.

I would expect D (be it direction or declination) to be given in degrees. Right ascension in astronomy is typically given as degrees but can be easily converted to degrees, so the RA value in this example fits.

However, if you swap the D. and Dis. values, you get this:

Declination         43.5  (degrees)
Right Ascension    145.8  (degrees)
Distance         41376  (metres)

...which makes sense in that it gives two reference points for direction and one for range, which is what you can work with in a polar equatorial coordinate system.

Given this consideration, my most likely explanation for that "aerial survey" thing is that they dun goofed.

Even if we considered that a goof-up, this still isn't any actual proof that this is what the DRADIS acronym would stand for. It would make some sense, but it isn't any sort of proof.

For all we know, DRADIS may not even be an official acronym but just something that sensor operators began using for reading out information readings, or for these two values always being shown in close proximity on the screen and being easy to pronounce together... and before you know it everyone starts to use the term.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline newman

I suspect this thread put way more thought into what DRADIS means than the show's writers ever did.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Splurge-Dis.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Horizon

Having been trained and practiced in celestial navigation, this actually stands a lot of reason. 

Offline Sobbsy

Before I read the 'canon' explanation of the term, I always assumed it stood for Direction, RAdius, DIStance... I assumed Radius because there's clearly a spherical radius around the source vessel that it scans beyond.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Well that just sounds needless..
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png