Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 907848 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
I put it near the top of the list because I'm a huge fan of heavy assault fighters and historically tend to overshoot flying anything more agile than a Myrmidon.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

The Nyx is noticeably more agile than a Myrmidon though. That's what makes it actually usable.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
It's legitimately almost exactly as agile as a Perseus or an Uhlan

Oof, on another topic, I was uninformed that most of the model names in the most recent version of BP Complete were changed, my mod folder suddenly threw up dozens of errors. Was thinking I went over the ship limit. Now that I've changed the model names in my table to reflect the BPC ones things work fine of course - I suppose it does make it far more obvious, for example GTCv_Chimera instead of corvette3t-01. It'd be nice to have 'changelogs' appear after running through the Installer, maybe I just haven't seen it though.

I hope development on BP will pick up soon. Axem's and in general the BP team's FREDing abilities amaze me every time I take a look at the mission files. As I always say, keep up the good work!

Oh, and the Nyx is my favorite in BP. Dual Balors on it, one or both Secondaries as Trebuchet and it's perfect for me.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline starlord

Is it actually me? I thought i recall having seen the Nyx with a SOC texture in act 3 in the jupiter mission vids... Especially visible with that golden cockpit.
As such, has the improved SOC Nyx made it into BP canon?
The wiki states it as being faster and more agile and able to use the maxim.

Yes, there are a few SOC painted Nyx in Eyes in the Storm.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline starlord

Do they have any performance changes compared to the standard issue Nyx?

Offline crizza

AFAIK better ETS and they can mount Maxims?

If I recall the tech room correctly, the ETS changes include a higher recharge rate, but a lower energy capacity.

Offline starlord

I see. So it has been made canon. A nice touch there...

Offline Kolgena

EMP hell?

Pretty much every mission where you're in a Vishnan ship in AoA loads the enemy shivans with EMPs. Dogfights are nonstop EMPS.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That doesn't sound right at all, and did not occur to me in testing. You sure you're not just experiencing this on Fallen Angel?

Offline Makhpella

• Kharak is burning!
I haven't used 3.7.4 since its release, so it might just be a nightly thing, General. This is me assuming you tested on a stable release, which would probably make sense. Wish I enjoyed AoA as much as WiH, hang on while I remember which one is Fallen Angel.

Found out. No. I'm at least 7% sure it is not just Fallen Angel, I am aware of the Banshee (I think) intron Aeshma wing that the Lucifer sends out on higher difficulties, so no. It's definitely not that. Nahemas spamming EMP missile is more likely.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:32:28 pm by Makhpella »
'I'm from the marksman school of conversation.' -Kovacs

Offline Darius

In the mission Preserving the Balance (maybe? Whatever the first vishnan mission was called) there is indeed a nahema wing armed with emps at the beginning. This was even in the first release.

Just finished replaying Tenebra, when I got to the final cutscene, I was surprised when I realized that the fighter pilot audio is from this
recording. gave the entire thing a very 'human' feel, letting you know that though wrapped inside plasma shielding and strapped to tons of collapsed-core alloy, firing subatomic particle bursts at each other. They're still just humans, they have to breath, are stressed out, and they are scared of dying.  The use of Blackhawk Down's version of "The Minstrel Boy" was excellent too. Keeps with that theme of war being dreadful and a low point of humanity, but unfortunately, a possibly unavoidable one.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 11:19:24 pm by Admiral Acorn Squash »

Offline Homura

I recently found the Blue Planet mod and wow its so awesome. Many thanks to the developer.

Right now there are 3 parts out of 5 released? There arent many websites to find news on. Is the project still going on?

Also while creating own missions with FRED2 i discovered the Durga Bomber and holy hell is this thing strong. One single high AI Durga can nuke a Destroyer in 2 minutes.
I hope you will be playing as a Durga in the next Arcs.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Blue Planet is a trilogy: there are currently two of three parts - Age of Aquarius and War in Heaven.
AoA was initially just a long, however interesting campaign. In Director's Cut, it has been split into 5 acts, but that is rather... symbolical. IMO, the only difference about the acts are several loading screens.
The second part of the trilogy, War in Heaven, currently has two of five acts completed (including voice acting), and the two are bundled together into "War in Heaven 1" campaign file. The third act, campaign "War in Heaven 2", has no voice acting and has been modified pretty extensively in Director's Cut "update". I'd say that it doesn't need pretty much anything aside from voice acting to be perfect (but I am just an another BP player - my view for a perfect campaign might be very different from the developers' one).
So: AoA - completed, WiH - around 2.75 acts of five. And there's a third part of the trilogy to be done :P
I suggest checking out some discussions on BP board, they are very interesting. And everything you can find written by BP team. I'd say that the game itself is a half, maybe two thirds of Blue Planet.
The project is definitely going on - it's just slow, real life stuff, modding/writing challenges, finishing a book in order to get money for the voice acting, anything else that can be time-demanding.

And 'bout the Durga - just read its tech description. The problem is that in-mission these bombers will have to face many more difficulties. Fighter screen, additional warships, some more sophisticated defences... Not to mention enemy warship stats bumped up a bit - like Delenda Est, devs had to increase Carthage's health a lot in order the mission to make sense. The team will follow the rules of their franchise, not some numbers in game that can be changed with ease in a moment's notice.
And some say that act 4 will be much, much related to bombing. There are even some YT videos on a channel called Dan Bell.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline -Norbert-

In Delenda Est they also had to make the front-beams of the Imperieuse invulnerable, because sometimes the UEF managed to disable them before they could wipe the UEF ships out, which resulted in the Imp being killed instead. ^^

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Design-wise, they are probably struggling to make this as fun as the rest of BP was. Bombers are just sluggish, slow and a big target in BP's deadly battlespace. I recall some new equipment being testing in some Youtube Channel to address this problem...
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Vidmaster, you mean this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDH82rjouf0

-Norbert-, this kinda gives me an idea for a very brutal move the UEF can do. With a Titan locked in a battle, someone could point-jump what's basically a crewless Custos FILLED with antimatter... Right into the frontal beam array. :P It's pretty close to the fighterbay, so that could make some serious damage.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.