Author Topic: Colonized Systems  (Read 3633 times)

Offline -Norbert-

With the resently posted list of GTVA destroyers I was wondering how far the GTVA has actually spread since the end of FS2.

Did they found colonies or outposts on any planet that we haven't heard of so far? Are there plans to expand in the near future?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think the GTVA as presented in BP is not actively colonizing beyond the systems they held during FS2. Losing Capella and the economic upheaval that followed, as well as the fear of stumbling over another nest of shivans would probably keep the GTVA out of the colonization business.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline -Norbert-

The GTVA as a government most probably, but if a planet supports life, you're bound to find some pioneers who'll just "sail out into the blue" to build a new home there, especially with the grim situation in the GTVA terretory... unless of course the GTVA is blocking off the jumpnodes at the border and doesn't let anyone through. Considering how paranoid they are that wouldn't surprise me.

I always thought that the GTVA was a very small faction compared to most sci fi universes. Remember in the cutscenes we only see 20 systems shown, that set of 20 systems included both the homeworlds. So we can assume that the "core" is that area and there might be a bunch of smaller colonies on those jump lines that lead off the map into places we have never seen. However Capella was a fleet base if I recall and it had only 250 MILLION people. That is very small, especially when modern day earth has 7 billion. And in the BP verse Earth is said to have as much production as the rest of the GTVA (Or maybe it was 1/3) so I would assume that the population of the GTVA is only in the tens of billions, definitely not more than 50 billion.
Thats really really small.

The GTVA as a government most probably, but if a planet supports life, you're bound to find some pioneers who'll just "sail out into the blue" to build a new home there, especially with the grim situation in the GTVA terretory... unless of course the GTVA is blocking off the jumpnodes at the border and doesn't let anyone through. Considering how paranoid they are that wouldn't surprise me.

They'll absolutely be doing this, with the threat of Shivans beyond any uncharted node.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
My guess would be that the GTVA population is actually LESS than that of the Sol system. As previously stated, tev colonies are comparably minute in comparison to the homeworlds. Also, another thing to bear in mind is that the Vasudan population was decimated in FS1, and I find it difficult to believe that they would have re-populated to the same numbers in the years gone by!

In the whole of the GTVA, the population split is probably around 50% Human and 50% Vasudan, when you consider that both homeworlds were essentially lost to by the end of FS1.

As for expansion, the actual GTVA I very much doubt would have been able to expand. Far too much rebuilding to be done after FS2 and the focus was to "re-explore" Sol after the discovery of the Knossos portal. Yes, pioneers might well be exploring on their own, but are these people "officially" part of the GTVA? I would have to say no.

So far in WiH, we have seen Sol's forces having their rear ends whipped by the GTVA, although I do believe that Sol's numbers are actually greater, I feel that a comparison can be drawn between the Spartans and the Persians, except in this story... we are the Persians!

As the official lore goes, I could (and probably am) very wrong when it comes the numbers, but I believe that the circumstances I have presented would make more sense and might be something to take into consideration "if" the canon is to be re-done in a few places.
I do not feel... I think!

Offline Luis Dias

I'd suggest that probably GTVA command is heavily monitoring every single atom going through every known node going towards outer uncolonized systems and actively preventing any "private" travel in them, in order to prevent any random intersection with outside forces which will be, as we can imagine and in all odds, shivan.

I cannot imagine any other status quo given all we know in BP. Rheyah has imagined a different status quo wherein the GTVA allows this kind of adventurous exploration, but I think it doesn't fit in BP. I can however envisage stories about uncharted nodes discovered by unabiding citizens who will try to explore and profit from these sources.

Also don't forget that the amount of ships available to the GTVA during FS2 was TINY, remember that losing 10 capital ships over the course of a few missions was considered a major defeat. Their population must be really small.

Offline Aesaar

The Terran population of the GTVA is roughly equal to the population of Sol.

Offline crizza

Would love to learn something about the economy... is it largely controlled by the military command?
Are there rougue trader like mining ships and so on...

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Its some type of neo-capitalist economy with a large military industrial complex. The UEF is closer to a social market system with a large amount of central planning.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
I think I'm on the wrong side of the war haha!
I do not feel... I think!

Offline FIZ

UEF economy is run by a Shivan.  :pimp:

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Well, I think the shock of Act IV Act III was at least in part
Spoiler:
that the UEF is in many ways controlled by the Vishnans
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:17:21 pm by Mars »

Well, I think the shock of Act IV was at least in part
Spoiler:
that the UEF is in many ways controlled by the Vishnans
Just checking to make sure I didn't miss anything, by act 4 you mean war in heaven act 3 (of 5), right?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
For some reason (its been about a year since my last playthrough) I thought there were three acts included in the first release. Yes, that is what I meant.

Offline -Sara-

I'm more interested in how many fringe colonies not particularly being part of the GTVA (any longer) have set themselves up on the borders of GTVA territory, if any. If there are many of such colonies however and Sol would somehow reach out to them and promise them access to terra-forming technology as used on Mars, they may have potential passive allies. Then again maybe terraforming tech has always been public knowledge.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I'm more interested in how many fringe colonies not particularly being part of the GTVA (any longer) have set themselves up on the borders of GTVA territory, if any. If there are many of such colonies however and Sol would somehow reach out to them and promise them access to terra-forming technology as used on Mars, they may have potential passive allies. Then again maybe terraforming tech has always been public knowledge.
It does seem unlikely that every GTVA planet was colonized without at least a limited form of terraforming.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline -Sara-

It does seem unlikely that every GTVA planet was colonized without at least a limited form of terraforming.

I always somehow imagined they applied localized atmospheric zones, ie. domed cities, 9000 feet tall skycrapers with its own atmosphere, orbital habitation modules and so on.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:37:44 pm by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.