Author Topic: Shivan techroom entries  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Logrus

Shivan techroom entries
WTF did I just read? Onboard ecosystems, introns, manifestation, dismemberment, pilot integration... And left by a certain husband.
Where did Alliance get all that data from? Does the Alliance know the true nature of shivans? What are all those behavioral patterns?
And the database article mentions merely the same old five limbs and compound eyes... Am I the only one who is quite puzzled by all this?
Could someone please comment? General Batutta?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Shivan techroom entries
I'd expect Alliance gathered a ton of data during the second shivan incursion, both from analysing battles, various combat encounters and reconnaissance data, and GTVI own intel efforts via stealth reconnaissance and possibly capture or shivan crafts and specimen (we know they did capture a wing of mara). They've also had two decades to analyse that data alongside all that was gathered during the great war. And they've probably dedicated pretty much unlimited budget to shivan research.

I don't think it's improbable that most of what you can read in the new tech descriptions simply comes from advanced pattern analysis of this gigantic amount of raw data.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

They got it through good old fashioned observation. It describes Shivan internal dynamics. We know a great deal about the ~true nature~ of the Shivans by now, the big question is the teleology. This phone keyboard is not good enough to explain any better.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
We know a great deal about the ~true nature~ of the Shivans by now
The GTVA doesn't though, or at least not in the terms Laporte was told the story with. They've probably deduced a good part of it via analysis though.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

It had a very Peter Watts feel, I loved it.

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Read NEMESIS NOW..
And I still feel like I need a PhD in xenobiology or something to understand some of that... :P

I think I can explain most of it, what's confusing you?

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That was probably an exaggeration - on a second read-through, I think I get most of what it's saying. I get thrown off a bit by the sophisticated language, though. The same reason while it took me a while to understand the techroom entries, probably, since I had to decipher how the GTVA's scientists viewed Shivan behaviour and what not.

Nice work on those, by the way - I found the proposal of the Lilith being some sort of freak mutation especially interesting, and the description of what goes on in the Rahu was just plain creepy.

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
I was planning on writing up a huge analysis of everything we know about the Shivans from BP's lore. The new tech room entries snapped a lot of pieces into place for me. Totally forgot about the NEM.NOW document though - that will surely be useful.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yes wow, please please do that. Also look out for new or altered dialog in UT2!

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
Ooooooh. Looks like I'll want to do a complete replay, AoA through Tenebra, before digging in to this project. Which may take me a month or so to get started on. My CogSci senior thesis is sucking away all my time and energy.  :(

I fully intend to do this, though. We're all accustomed to glacially-paced deliverance on promises around here, right? :p