Author Topic: Alpha 1 meets Alpha 1  (Read 5296 times)

Offline -Norbert-

With the desperate situation of FS2 and it being mentioned how the GTVA forces are stretched very thin several times, I wouldn't be surprised if they allowed younger than usual volunteers to pilot, or maybe even drafted such people.

And looking at the tutorial they didn't exactly learn much during flight school either. :P

Offline Aesaar

I can't recall if Steele's age is ever explicitly expressed anywhere (though I wouldn't be surprised), but admirals in current navies (much like generals in armies) tend to be older than in their 40s, especially during peace-time but also during war time. In time of war, the average age of both junior and senior officers of course drops, up to the ranks of captains and majors at least - sometimes even colonels, depending on how long the conflict lasts. But for a conflict to start reducing the average age of high ranking officers, it needs to be quite a long war indeed - and I would say that post-Capellan GTVA has been essentially peace-time (for what it's worth).
Steele's dossier says he was born in 2340.  WiH takes place in late 2385.  Steele's 45.

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
It would be a little bit of a stretch for Steele to be only in his mid-40's and be a ranking officer, but we've been repeatedly told and shown that he's very capable in his position.  (Maybe TEI had more than just ship and fighter designs--looking for a better kind of military mind as well?)

Bei Jr being about the same age and on an entirely different career track isn't odd, and there are references in the reading material that Bei Jr might've screwed the pooch once or twice--effectively dead-ending himself until retirement.  At the same time, GTVA isn't going to fritter away experienced personnel after Capella, not if they can help it.
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Well, there was stuff about Bei Jr's 'consistently excellent flight record' somewhere. Aside from not saving that Elysium which would be pretty damn hard to do even for a player. Even if you go for the Nahemas the Dragons would just pump it full of Hornets and make it go boom pretty damn quickly.
He was an ensign in Capella and Commander 18 years later. 4 ranks in 18 years of peace time isn't bad, not everyone can rocket through the ranks.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Aesaar

It would be a little bit of a stretch for Steele to be only in his mid-40's and be a ranking officer, but we've been repeatedly told and shown that he's very capable in his position.  (Maybe TEI had more than just ship and fighter designs--looking for a better kind of military mind as well?)

Bei Jr being about the same age and on an entirely different career track isn't odd, and there are references in the reading material that Bei Jr might've screwed the pooch once or twice--effectively dead-ending himself until retirement.  At the same time, GTVA isn't going to fritter away experienced personnel after Capella, not if they can help it.
I didn't say anything about career tracks, I just mentioned that it's amusing to me that Steele and Bei Jr are the same age because Bei Jr is very naive and a bit of an idiot and Steele is not.

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
It's somewhere in the Granite Hunter files.  Consistently good flight performance and good reports from his fellow soldiers, or something like that.  He had a really bad day in Capella (and that was not really his fault).  Otherwise they would've just screened him out on a psych evaluation.  I'm just thinking that Bei's career really just stalled out and he didn't have the heart to just up and quit.

I know this might turn the conversation in a dark direction, but I think it really speaks to Bei Jr's character that he didn't just give it all up and suicide after Capella.  His family dead, father estranged, probably lots of friends lost, future destroyed by Shivans...

In a way, Bei and Laporte's meeting during UT2 IS Alpha 1 meeting Alpha 1, though in a second-or-third-cousins kinda way.  (I'm darting around a lot, and not explaining my thoughts very well here.  Does anyone else here hate working night shifts?)  Bei was an FS2-era pilot, whereas Laporte is Fedayeen--and FS1 Alpha 1 is/was part of that group.
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Maybe FS2's Alpha 1  is Al'Faddil (not sure if spelled right...)  he's an experienced officer and pilot, (I think they'd send their best on a mission as important as the 14th BG) has a Eyrines for his personal fighter (they don't hand those out to just anyone), and Xinny and Zero come out to rescue him when he's captured.

Absolutely no proof, but he fits the profile.   :nervous:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Maybe FS2's Alpha 1  is Al'Faddil (not sure if spelled right...)  he's an experienced officer and pilot, (I think they'd send their best on a mission as important as the 14th BG) has a Eyrines for his personal fighter (they don't hand those out to just anyone), and Xinny and Zero come out to rescue him when he's captured.

This is now my headcanon.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline CT27

Since FS2 Alpha 1 fought in the Second Incursion (and since fear of the Shivans has led the GTVA to be more militarized in general than the UEF), would FS2 Alpha 1 support Steele's military campaign in Sol?

Offline Snarks

Oh dear. Alpha 1 blew up in my game then.   :(

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

Oh dear. Alpha 1 blew up in my game then.   :(
...How?
Spoiler:
If you lose the fight, they extract him and then blow up the ship.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Snarks

I must have read it wrong then. Hurray!?

Spoiler:
I thought the ship blew up following a chaotic firefight, leaving no survivors from either side. It's a tough mission though, not necessarily in terms of difficulty, but having to fight Xinny and Zero.