Author Topic: Is there going to be another TEI "Wave"?  (Read 3902 times)

Offline CT27

Is there going to be another TEI "Wave"?
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=80789.0

Rather than bump this thread of mine^ I figured to start another discussion.

Do you think there will be another TEI Wave (Wave 3) or is Wave 2 going to cover all capital/fighter craft developed for the UEF war?  I.e., what "wave" will the Gorgon superbomber fall under?

Offline Snarks

Re: Is there going to be another TEI "Wave"?
I always found it convenient that wave 2 happened after AoA, especially since wave 2 consists of fighters and bombers. You would think the smaller crafts would get deployed first before the larger capital ships. It seem to me that the lore was built around this wave concept because the devs didn't have access or had time to all the fancy fighter/bomber models. Or maybe the GTVA was fine with its FS2 era designs. The Vasudans certainly seem content about it.

Realistically, I would expect there to be more next gen fighters/bombers than just the Aurora and Kulas. (The Kulas itself is strange because it's a light fighter, a converted civilian vehicle, would make more sense as a trainer or reservist craft). The TEI destroyers and corvettes should take more time (both in complexity of design and in construction time).

Then again, we know that the TEI capital ships were an attempt to improve the capital ship performance of the GTVA given that the Hecate didn't have enough frontline firepower. So combine this with the satisfactory designs of FS2 ships, and there wouldn't be a dire need for new fighters/bombers.

I'm not sure if a wave 3 really exists. I imagine the TEI is one continuous process with designs being put out as soon as they are satisfactory. Wave 2 stuff just seems like special adaptations for the Sol Theatre. I think you can argue a lot of wave 2 wouldn't even exist if Sol had just capitulated normally.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 07:17:19 pm by Snarks »

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
What about Esarai's Phoenix Rising frigate? Will it appear among the TEI Wave 3 ships?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
TEI wave 1 included mostly cheap, flexible fighters, EWAR enhancements, Sath-killer corvettes, and modular weapons because that was what the GTVA needed. They didn't need advanced fighters because the Second Incursion Shivans didn't present a major strike craft quality threat beyond 'scads of bombers'.

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
TEI wave 1 included mostly cheap, flexible fighters, EWAR enhancements, Sath-killer corvettes, and modular weapons because that was what the GTVA needed. They didn't need advanced fighters because the Second Incursion Shivans didn't present a major strike craft quality threat beyond 'scads of bombers'.

Speaking of TEI ships, how exactly is an Erebus supposed to defeat a Sathanas Juggernaut?
Stuff

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
By shooting it without getting shot, basically.

Offline Veers

I like this concept.
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline CT27

Avoid the beams and you won't get hit?

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever

Reeaally? Well this calls for a little testing...
Stuff

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, you've got A Time for Heroes!

Modern naval combat works the same way. Find first, fix the solution first, hit first.

Offline Darius

Adapting elements of the surviveability onion to FreeSpace combat:

1) Do not be there - containment of the enemy to avoid conflict in the first place. Node denial and pre-emptive strikes.
2) If you have to be there, do not be seen - strategic perception, stealth, keeping assets position and composition secret.
3) If you get seen, do not get engaged - outrange the enemy with local SSMs, artillery or strikecraft assets
4) If you are engaged, do not get hit - agility and speed, beam jamming and countermeasures
5) If you get hit, do not get killed - active armour, damage control, critical systems redundancy

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Well, you've got A Time for Heroes!

Modern naval combat works the same way. Find first, fix the solution first, hit first.

That's true, I'd forgotten about that mission,

Containing 80-100 of them might be a challenge though.

5) If you get hit, do not get killed - active armour, damage control, critical systems redundancy

Well, if your in weapons range of a Sathanas, your pretty much toast
Stuff

Offline Aesaar

Well, if your in weapons range of a Sathanas, your pretty much toast
Only if you're in front of it.