Author Topic: Problem: War In Heaven Part 2 won't load mission  (Read 1551 times)

Problem: War In Heaven Part 2 won't load mission
Hello,

Both the Age of Aquarius and War In Heaven Part 1 worked flawlessly.  I'm encountering issues when trying to play War In Heaven 2.  Intro works but the game crash to desktop on 2nd load screen, with multiple errors:

bp2-dreamscape.fs2(line 121):
Error: Required token = [#Command Briefing] or [#Briefing], found [$Formula: ( = @missionindex[0] 0 ) ].
ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 12 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2.exe! <no symbol>

Clicking "Okay" repeatedly results in popping up of subsequent error messages that say "bp2-dreamscape.fs2(line 123)", 3rd error says "bp2-dreamscape.fs2(line 124)", 4th error says "bp2-dreamscape.fs2(line 126)", 5th error says "bp2-dreamscape.fs2(line 127)".  The rest of the error messages look to remain the same.  Eventually after clicking through all the error messages, it went back to the game screen with the message "attempt to load the mission failed"

I've checked the Troubleshooting thread but can't find any matching solution for my particular issue.  Your help is greatly appreciated.  I'm using version 3.7.2.11329 OpenGL, if this helps.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Problem: War In Heaven Part 2 won't load mission
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

Have you tried using this build?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
You're using a version too early for Tenebra (the most recent re-release uses formulas for fiction viewer entries, which wasn't supported in 3.7.2).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Thank you both for the quick reply.  While following instructions to pull the fs2_open.log file, I noticed there are also 3.7.4 executables in the wxLauncher dropdown list.  Switching to the "3.7.4 (RC2)" executable completely eliminated all errors and the game loads flawlessly now.  I've been using 3.7.2 all this time without ever noticing 3.7.4  :banghead:

On a side note, what is the difference between "3.7.4 (RC2)" and "3.7.4 (RC2 AVX)"?   

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Automated compiler optimization for AVX-capable processors. The performance difference is incredibly minor, but it's also "free" (nobody had to do any manual effort for it), so if your CPU is AVX-capable there's no reason not to run it.

Well, except for the fact that RC2 is outdated and you should use RC3 instead.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Yarn

Have you tried using this build?
That build is no longer available; it was taken down along with all others available at the time sometime between May 1 and May 10, 2016.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Also, there's now no reason to use the RC builds, as 3.7.4 final is out.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.