Author Topic: Error: Could not load in 2_CommandBrief-mb!  (Read 2371 times)

Error: Could not load in 2_CommandBrief-mb!
Hi,

As a new comer first of all I would like to congratulate each and everyone that has contributed to this massive overhaul of Freespace 2. It has always been one of my favorite games.

I have searched this forum for the solution of my problem to no avail. Would very much appreciate if anyone can point me to the right direction.

After installing the Blue Planet mod, I could not get past the intro of each campaign. The error message says:

Error: Could not load in 2_CommandBrief-mb!
File: window.cpp
Line: 81

ntdll.dll! NtWaitForSingleObject + 10 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 156 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_0_RC1_x64_SSE2.exe! <no symbol>
kernel32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 13 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlUserThreadStart + 33 bytes

Posted my debug log as well.

Thanks for the help.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Error: Could not load in 2_CommandBrief-mb!
Code: [Select]
  -mod bpcomplete,MediaVPs_2014,bpcomplete,MediaVPs_2014
Get the 0.12 RC2 version of wxLauncher here, which will work better with 3.8 (this specific bug has been fixed in recent Nightly Builds, but a newer wxLauncher will work better anyway).

Now, for the actual error you got: your installation of the 2014 MediaVPs is incomplete.
Code: [Select]
Found root pack 'C:\STEAM\steamapps\common\Freespace 2\MediaVPs_2014\MV_Assets.vp' with a checksum of 0x23b7997e
Found root pack 'C:\STEAM\steamapps\common\Freespace 2\MediaVPs_2014\MV_Effects.vp' with a checksum of 0x6fbd3357
At the very minimum, you need MV_Root.vp (which contains the interface file that the error is referring to). As you're using a 64-bit build of FSO and a GTX 950, you may also want MV_Advanced.vp and MV_A-Glows.vp, which contain larger textures (and complement the BP advanced texture VPs you already have installed). MV_CB_ANI_1.vp and MV_CB_ANI_2.vp contain higher-resolution versions of the original command briefing animations, which might come in handy if you ever want to play FreeSpace Blue. MV_Music.vp contains higher-quality versions of the original FS2 audio tracks; I can't remember if any of them are used in BP anywhere, but again, they'll come in handy in FreeSpace Blue.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Thanks  for the quick reply. I remember having some errors during my first attempt at fs open installation. It seems that the missing files you are referring to are the files that I did not download when I decided to go for a minimal install to avoid the errors.

I will re-download and report back.

Thanks.

Edit: I can't find the file :  MV_Root.vp in the fs open custom install menu.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 02:20:37 pm by consonance »

Here is the error I get when I try to install FSO:

The following errors were encountered:

FreeSpace Open 3.7.4 Windows Standard: The hash value for 'scptrackir.dll' did not agree with the expected value.  This could indicate a corrupted download or a problem with the mod.  If this problem persists over multiple attempts, contact the mod author for assistance.  The file has been deleted.
2014 FSU MediaVPs: The file 'MV_Root.7z' could not be downloaded.
MV_Assets: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
MV_Effects: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
MV_Music: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
MV_Advanced: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
MV_A-Glows: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
MV_RadarIcons: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
MV_CB_ANI_1: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
MV_CB_ANI_2: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
FreeSpace Open 3.7.4 Windows SSE: The hash value for 'scptrackir.dll' did not agree with the expected value.  This could indicate a corrupted download or a problem with the mod.  If this problem persists over multiple attempts, contact the mod author for assistance.  The file has been deleted.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Does this link work for you? It's the exact same URL the installer tries to download from, so if it works, then either the installer's problem was a temporary failure, or something else is going horribly wrong.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Hi again,

Thanks for your help. I was able to download the newer version(3.6.12) after deleting the properties file for the FSO installer. I re-configured my mods with the wxLauncher you provided.

Now having fun with this awesome scenario :)

Thanks again.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
newer version(3.6.12)
The 3.6.12 MediaVPs are older than the 2014 MediaVPs, and Blue Planet Complete is not compatible with them.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Well that's odd. The installer will not download MV_root for 2014 version. So I went for the other one. It seems to be working. I'm in act 2 now.

EDIT: I gave it another go. It did download the file for 2014 vp. Now waiting for other parts to finish downloading. Thanks for the heads up!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 04:43:51 pm by consonance »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
But unless you manually copied that MV_Root.vp over to the 2014 MediaVPs' folder (which you absolutely should not do), there's no way for FSO to find it, because BP's mod.ini doesn't reference the 3.6.12 MediaVPs, so wxLauncher won't put them into the -mod command-line option, so the same interface file should still be missing... so how is it working?

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

While downloading 3.6.12 it downloaded both versions I think. I checked the folder there are 2 of everything. Only difference is with file names.One ending in 3612, one standart ending.

But then again file sizes do not match. Not to worry, I'm downloading the correct one now.

EDIT: I did modify mod.ini to recognize 3.6.12 that may be the cause.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 04:51:13 pm by consonance »