Author Topic: [Release] GTM Hippocrates  (Read 15423 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: [Release] GTM Hippocrates
Why? because of the existence of the mod.ini in the PBR? if I move that file somewhere else would the rest of the mod would be taken as \data\ ? as it should, given its location?
If not, then why put it in MediaVPs_2014\data\ ? wouldn't it be more logical to put it at Freespace2\ level? I'd thought by game logic, would take priority and replace MediaVPs_2014 corresponding files, because that's the intention and its location correlates that, not operating this way would make no sense, unless the mod.ini file would affect this behavior necessarily, from my POV, or is there another reason for this?

Wait, you have the PBR mod located in MediaVPs_2014\data\?  That's not correct: you should move the PBR folder to the root FS2 folder and select it as your active mod, since it has the main MediaVPs in its secondary list anyway.  In general you don't want to add any extra files to the MediaVPs mod folder, or the root FS2 directory's own \data\ folder for that matter.  There's far less of a chance of conflicts if you treat anything you download separately as its own mod.

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
  • Don't get mad, consequences are revenging you.
Yeah I do, oh OK, now I got it, thank you for the clarification Mongoose  :yes:
Edit: I did it because Cobra recommended it
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 04:00:44 am by technopredator »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I did it because Cobra recommended it
No he didn't; he told you to put this (the GTM Hippocrates) in your MediaVPs folder, because it's not a separate mod.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
Put the data folder in your mediavps folder. It's not like the base install doesn't have the same folders or anything...
Yes he did

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Put the data folder in your mediavps folder. It's not like the base install doesn't have the same folders or anything...
Yes he did
No he didn't; he told you to put this (the GTM Hippocrates) in your MediaVPs folder, because it's not a separate mod.

do... do you know what thread you're currently in?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
Oh wait, oh I see, I mixed with the MediaVPs_2014 one, I'm dyslexic so crossing over info happens to me, I stand corrected

Offline CT27

The OP said it has a fighterbay.

I tried this (I put the files in the right sections in my Media VPs 2014 folder) in the campaigns Boomerang and Trouble At Home, and it didn't have a fighterbay subsystem listed in either of those when I cycled through subsystems.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
The OP said it has a fighterbay.

I tried this (I put the files in the right sections in my Media VPs 2014 folder) in the campaigns Boomerang and Trouble At Home, and it didn't have a fighterbay subsystem listed in either of those when I cycled through subsystems.
This is probably caused by "untargettable" flag. This is intentional.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline CT27

What do you mean by that?  It will have a fighterbay in some campaigns and not in some other campaigns?

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
What do you mean by that?  It will have a fighterbay in some campaigns and not in some other campaigns?

It basically means that the subsystem is stealth, your fighter's targeting system can't see it but the game can.

Fighter Bays don't do anything unless the FREDer programs other ships to enter/exit them, This ship did not have one before, so It's unused in missions that were made before it.

The new fighter bay was made "Untargetable" so that you won't get distracted by it when flicking though the ship's subsystems.  Not that necessary, but an understandable choice nonetheless.   :pimp:

If You want, you can make the fighter bay targetable by changing the ship.tbm
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299