Author Topic: As the tubes burn: The great Zoey Quin firestorm  (Read 28692 times)

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Re: As the tubes burn: The great Zoey Quin firestorm
You know, i think, the fact that ad hominem and generally angry or frustrated posts are up far higher than GenDisc norms (even higher than they were in the Israel/Gaza thread) is a good demonstration of why the internet is a ****storm over this.

I was already a bit suspicious of any conspiracy claims given that the game is currently being released for free (making it one of the least productive conspiracies ever) and the firespark for all of this is an ex-boyfriend post. So I came here to see what HLP thinks, since usually, even when we disagree, I get a better than reddit approximation of what the good arguments for each side are.

This... I don't know. Started out with some discussion of events then rapidly degenerated into people that supports one leaning or the other (wary of misogynists vs wary of SJW) continuing on that past going back and forth throwing the traditional talking points for each respective path, tons of dismissal-ism with a healthy dash of anger. Thanks for the MA study, since I actually need stuff like that to use in another ongoing argument, but other than that, geez. Can't we discuss what is really a not so big incident without all the fireballs?

Well I've been told I'm against equality because I can see with my own two eyes how unjustly a woman is being treated and am speaking out against those who think she's getting what's coming to her or at least think that we need to look patiently and benevolently upon the worst of humanity in the name of being fair and balanced. I don't need anyone's approval to denounce something hideous.

You want us to try to reconcile our passion with our need for civility, fine. Just make sure when you're asking me to hold back the "fireballs", you're not really asking me to care less about others. Because I'm not going to err on the side of apathy.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 08:20:38 pm by Mr. Vega »
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Lorric

Thanks for the MA study, since I actually need stuff like that to use in another ongoing argument
What is MA?

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Because I'm not going to err on the side of apathy.

I will. How else does one ensure complete objectivity?
"No"

Thanks for the MA study, since I actually need stuff like that to use in another ongoing argument
What is MA?

The standard abbreviation for Massachusetts.

Just make sure when you're asking me to hold back the "fireballs", you're not really asking me to care less about others. Because I'm not going to err on the side of apathy.

I'm not entirely sure when I implied anything that could be construed as that.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
You didn't. But requests for civility have a tendency to become calls for apathy in a short period of time.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
-John Maynard Keynes

It appears incontrovertible proof of corruption has surfaced involving RPS' John Walker. I.....I don't know what to believe anymore.

So RPS publishes from their secret office on the moon that has been staffed by cows, since their human staff came back to Earth to lobby the Reptillians in Congress to convince them to fake the moon landings in '60's and '70's, in order to minimize the disruption in said office.

Am I close?

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
AND THEN ZOE QUINN SLEPT WITH JOURNALISTS WHO HAD LEARNED THE TRUTH TO KEEP THEM SILENT
-John Maynard Keynes

GAMING JOURNALISM IS PEOPLE

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
I just got permabanned on the Escapist for posting articles of government sites getting hacked and claiming they were false flag operations started by the Quinnspiracy. Meanwhile, they're letting through posts arguing that women who "stay in their place are fine." Welcome to our gaming community.

Well, I'm going to keep being a little fly in the ointment.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 11:02:12 pm by Mr. Vega »
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I think everyone should stay in their place

Makes it easier to hit them with a bullet
"No"

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I wonder how much this is a case of 'Anyone but England'...

I've spent ages trying to explain to football fans who get annoyed over Scotland supporting 'anyone but England' during the World Cup that this is why they do it.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I love the face of reason on display here.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
I just got permabanned on the Escapist for posting articles of government sites getting hacked and claiming they were false flag operations started by the Quinnspiracy. Meanwhile, they're letting through posts arguing that women who "stay in their place are fine." Welcome to our gaming community.

Arouet? If so, then what exactly does it tell about the gaming community that repeating all-caps troll posting results in a ban, but non-trollishly (and without caps!) expressing an opinion, no matter how unsavoury/stupid/misguided/whatever, doesn't?

Funnily enough, the ex now said this:
There was a typo up for a while that made it seem like Zoe and I were on break between March and June. This has apparently led some people to infer that her infidelity with Nathan Grayson began in early March. I want to clarify that I have no reason to believe or evidence to imply she was sleeping with him prior to late March or early April (though I believe they’d been friends for a while before that). This typo has since been corrected to make it clear we were on break between May and June. To be clear, if there was any conflict of interest between Zoe and Nathan regarding coverage of Depression Quest prior to April, I have no reason to believe that it was sexual in nature.

So even Quinn's angry ex does not agree with the first video. Hmmm.

Offline Lorric

Arouet? If so, then what exactly does it tell about the gaming community that repeating all-caps troll posting results in a ban, but non-trollishly (and without caps!) expressing an opinion, no matter how unsavoury/stupid/misguided/whatever, doesn't?
And who exactly gets to determine the criteria for that? That's a very slippery slope, and highly abusable. Very easy for the hammer to fall on people who the staff don't like. You shouldn't be able to get banned for expressing an opinion. And even if we assume the opinion is a form of unsavoury/stupid/misguided that just about everyone would agree on, they won't learn anything if they get banned.

No, I would contend that this is a very good thing, not a bad thing.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
And who exactly gets to determine the criteria for that? That's a very slippery slope, and highly abusable. Very easy for the hammer to fall on people who the staff don't like. You shouldn't be able to get banned for expressing an opinion. And even if we assume the opinion is a form of unsavoury/stupid/misguided that just about everyone would agree on, they won't learn anything if they get banned.

No, I would contend that this is a very good thing, not a bad thing.

Yes, that was kinda my point. The former getting banned but the latter not getting banned is exactly correct.

Of course if the latter persists on expressing insulting opinions in an obnoxious way and is being harmful to the community then they can be banned too, but that's a different matter entirely.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
My Internet died, therefore delayed response to stuff two pages ago:

Relevant to "discrimination against men": I've noticed that there are lot of reactionary anti-"rape culture" types (at least on the Internets), who pretty much assume that all accusations of rape are true.
**** people who make false accusations of rape-all five percent of them. They're condemning others who a were raped to have their cases ignored. There. You may now continue the attempt at distraction.

You know what's worse than snark? Wrong snark.

Relevant to "discrimination against men": I've noticed that there are lot of reactionary anti-"rape culture" types (at least on the Internets), who pretty much assume that all accusations of rape are true.
Pray tell, link to some facts that show that false rape accusations are somehow a bigger problem than actual ****ing rape.

What is this "bigger problem" nonsense? Discrimination is not some "race to the bottom", where only the category of people who have it worst get to claim "discrimination".

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
My Internet died, therefore delayed response to stuff two pages ago:

**** people who make false accusations of rape-all five percent of them. They're condemning others who a were raped to have their cases ignored. There. You may now continue the attempt at distraction.

You know what's worse than snark? Wrong snark.
Yes, it's probably much lower than 5%; it's hard to get an exact number due to wildly inconsistent record-keeping (and bias) among police departments.

Pray tell, link to some facts that show that false rape accusations are somehow a bigger problem than actual ****ing rape.

What is this "bigger problem" nonsense? Discrimination is not some "race to the bottom", where only the category of people who have it worst get to claim "discrimination".
No, only people actually discriminated against get to claim "discrimination".
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Being merely accused of a crime should not ruin your life or anything like that. The fact that it may do so is undeniable proof that those accused of crimes are discriminated against, and it is especially true for sex crimes due to more moral panic, and doubly so for men (sentencing gap).

Discrimination is absolutely not a zero sum game, it has many aspects that intersect in various ways and situations and it affects both genders.

Also, judicial crimes should be taken a lot more seriously than other crime. "Better let hundred criminals go than convict one innocent" rings a bell? Well, its true for rapists, too. So while false rape allegations are statistically much smaller issue than rape, it should not be needlesly trivialised.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.