Author Topic: GTA Economy  (Read 4829 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah, but now we're just back where we started with what it says in the canon!

Offline Luis Dias

My comments were not directed at the canon as written in BP's page, more about the argumentation that surrounded it in the forums.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that, to some extent, Centaur Station wasn't designed by the Tev leadership to boost the economy so much as to keep themselves in power. Consider that a big reason for the GTVA existing is to protect its people from the Shivans. In the last war, despite their contingency plans succeeding in containing things, they ultimately failed, and they lost Capella and the Colossus -- which took 20 years and countless trillions of credits to build -- in the process. If the GTVA can't protect them with that, the argument of the man-on-the-street goes, then they aren't good for much.

So now there's riots, protests, and separatists movements not seen since the NTF Rebellion. When Admiral Petrarch comes forward to suggest going back to Sol, it gives the Terrans something to rally around and support. It doesn't matter whether it boosts the economy or not; indeed, from the Vasudan reaction to the news, the Terrans are throwing money at the portal they could be using to rebuild. What matters is that it keeps the GTVA in play until they get back to Sol and, hopefully, use its infrastructure to stabilize the economy. It was, in many ways, a stopgap solution, but it was better than civil war. Obviously, their priorities changed after the Sol gate was rebuilt.

Side note: While we're on the subject of the economic history of Blue Planet, I did a writeup on my wiki user page as to how the GTA's economic collapse during the Isolation could have played out. This isn't canon, just a reconstruction of what I've pieced together from canon sources. It's not completely finished -- I'm trying to document the history of a 50-year time frame, and it's taking a while.

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
I'm not exactly sure what the GTVA plans to gain by re-integrating sol into their economic fold. They must know they likely cannot hold back the Shivans even with the added economic base of sol.
(unless they play on using all of sol's resources to build their own juggernaut fleet, which is probably well beyond their current abilities)
Stuff

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I think the plan is to keep the Vishnans from executing their plot with humanity.

I'm not exactly sure what the GTVA plans to gain by re-integrating sol into their economic fold. They must know they likely cannot hold back the Shivans even with the added economic base of sol.
(unless they play on using all of sol's resources to build their own juggernaut fleet, which is probably well beyond their current abilities)

They hope to gain enough time in power to implement their new strategy, for which access to Sol's infrastructure would greatly help. It wouldn't be fleets of juggernauts; they tried building a Big Gun before, only to see the Shivans use a bigger one to kill it. Instead, they hope to make agility their ally, using shock jumps, beam alpha strikes, SSMs, and agile fighters to counter the Shivans. Doubtless they want to counter the Vishnans too, as soon as they figure out how; so far, their only means of doing so involve invasive measures that would be unacceptable to the people at large ("Walk the perimeter. Check your six. They come in through dreams.").

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

As long as the Shivans continue to be apparently unable to fix blown nodes, this is unlikely. The GTVA's general plan is most likely to find any Shivan entry point and throw a really big bomb down it. From what they know this is probably feasible, especially if they have Sol's ability to generate resource stockpiles and give them strategic mobility so they can throw more fleets and battlegroups around quickly.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
They hope to gain enough time in power to implement their new strategy, for which access to Sol's infrastructure would greatly help. It wouldn't be fleets of juggernauts; they tried building a Big Gun before, only to see the Shivans use a bigger one to kill it. Instead, they hope to make agility their ally, using shock jumps, beam alpha strikes, SSMs, and agile fighters to counter the Shivans. Doubtless they want to counter the Vishnans too, as soon as they figure out how; so far, their only means of doing so involve invasive measures that would be unacceptable to the people at large ("Walk the perimeter. Check your six. They come in through dreams.").

Except that may be a dead end too. All these tactics are essentially shivan-like; it's an open question whether the shivs can get beaten at their own game.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
If we accept the Shivans' methodology of randomly throwing tactics at the wall until something sticks even if amputating jump nodes initially works it seems inevitable they will try sending a fleet across the darkness of space at sub-light.  If they arrive before humanity has gone extinct of its own accord is up for debate. :D
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

There's more to Shivan behaviour than that. The Granite Hunter files shed a lot of light on the GTVA's high-level knowledge and plans, including what, if anything, they think they can do to safeguard a future for their people.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline CT27

Where are these "Granite Hunter files"?

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Except that may be a dead end too. All these tactics are essentially shivan-like; it's an open question whether the shivs can get beaten at their own game.

Oh, certainly. But based on what they've learned from the Second Incursion, they're probably convinced it's their best shot, absent exploiting blind spots in Vishnan predictive abilities to their advantage. And maybe not even then; all evidence suggests that the Shivans, while taking Vishnan orders, are somewhat independent of them. However, I don't expect the fruits of TEI to be effective for long, once the Shivans adapt.