Author Topic: [WIP] FS1 Upgrade  (Read 19587 times)

IIRC, you'll need a script, but it's trivial:

Code: [Select]
script-eval-block
   mn.Ships['Quack']
   .Name = 'Woof'

The game will get... weird about SEXPs referring to such a ship, so I recommend using when-argument:

when
   is-destroyed-delay Quack 0
   send-message
      #Command
      High
      Quack dead

probably won't work, but

when-argument
   any-of Quack Woof
   is-destroyed-delay  <argument> 0
   send-message
       #Command
       High
       Quack dead

should.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 10:00:16 pm by xenocartographer »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
So I'm pretty much ready for R1.1 release, and this time I was intending to create a more proper release thread including screenshots.  Unfortunately, my attempts to create screenshots are not working.  I tap the PrtScn button, and the screen briefly jumps, but nothing appears in the root directory, nor does hitting the paste button in Paint do the trick either.  What am I missing?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
The SCP has shifted the screenshot directory - I had the same reaction when I last tried taking screenshots. It's in... I'm not in front of my computer atm, but it's in your user directory, under appdata or something - do a search for screen* and you'll find them.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
%appdata% -> HardLightProductions -> FreespaceOpen

I'm not sure how, but I did find a way to revert the screenshot directory back into Freespace root folder. I think it's somehow related to "Store config in portable location" flag in the launcher.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Thanks.  That did the trick.  :)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Well, screenshots are working, but in attempting to create the checksums suggested in the Campaign Pre-Release Checklist Thread, the debug build doesn't generate the fs2_open.log file.  I'm guessing that the fast debug builds have that feature turned off.  Do I need to follow the MD5 checksum process, or is there a way to reactivate the debug checksum generator?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Again, the log file probably is being generated, but like the screenshots, it has moved to appdata.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Thanks again.  To anyone with this similar problem, be aware that it stores the error log file in the data subfolder, and not in the root folder.

I've released the first chapter (hopefully a functional version this time) in its own thread, HERE.  Most of the delay since the first release attempt has been due to the fact that I've gone headlong into Chapter 2.  I've already got missions 1 through 4 mostly done and I'm on to the second mission of the chapter 2 loop.  Be advised that the second loop will be 5 missions long.

Thanks for all your support.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
First post updated with current status.

So I've been doing some work on a mission involving the Titan class, but a debug build warned me of its lack of MOI, so I imported some from of another model, but now its doing some extremely rapid spinning around on its axis.  I'm trying to use the calculation option in PCS2 and hope that works, but I was wondering if anyone knows the best way to get a working MOI.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:08:11 pm by Trivial Psychic »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Update:

Loop2 Mission 2 is mostly done.  Now well into Mission 3.  I've got some pretty funny dialogue I'm using so you should all get a kick out of it when you're playing it.

The auto-generated MOI seemed to have fixed the break-dancing Titan issue.  I haven't tried it on any of the other ships that I copied MOI data for, though I haven't played any missions with those ships since I changed them.  Time will tell.  I've got 2 weeks of vacation coming, so hopefully I'll get some time to do some more serious FREDding, as I have no plans to go anywhere outside the city.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Cool that you're using the Titan, though frustrating for me that I forgot to do MoI on at least one of the models. Which one are you using? I can fix it for future DLs.

For your own future reference, PCS2 claims it's not very good at MoI, but it's fine, just autogen it if you ever come across ships without any MoI
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'm using the H and R variants.  I've included them in the current Ch1 release, though they aren't used in any missions.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
So I'm on to mission 4 of the ch2 Loop and I've got a group of Losna Heavy fighters that I'd like to fire Phoenix V missiles at a ship, and I tried to use the good-secondary-time sexp, but that missile isn't in the list of weapons available for the sexp.  That said, all of the weapons I've created for the mod and beam weapons DO show up, even if they're primaries.  What will allow the Phoenix to be available for the good-secondary-time sexp?  Will I have to create a special version of the missile to work properly?

I believe it only lists secondaries with the "huge" flag, but you should be able to use any weapon if you can tolerate the FRED errors.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I tried manually entering in Phoenix V, but not only does FRED give me grief over it, but FSO complains as well.  I've had to create a special version of the weapon for the Pirates with the Huge flag.  Unfortunately, that mission has proven a bit troublesome in setting its balance properly, so I've decided to temporarily suspend work on that mission and return to modifying the original missions, jumping ahead to M2-5.  I've decided to make the HoL ambush of the Galatea a bit more elaborate, but I've run into a bit of an issue with a different sexp and I was hoping for some experienced insight.

I've got a target I want to have destroyed, but not by fighters but by turrets... specifically one turret on a ship.  I've tried using the turret-set-target-priorities sexp, and I assume the string entry after "true" is where you list what targets you want the turret to fire on, in order of priority.  However, when I put the ship name in this space, FRED complains on mission save (I haven't tried it in mission yet).  Am I misunderstanding the purpose of this sexp?  Is the data supposed to be entered in a different method somehow?  Is it expected to complain but will do as I intend in mission without FSO complaints?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Has anyone come up with a way to confirm if a kamikaze ship has successfully rammed its target?  I've got a group of ships charging a destroyer and I want the player to get the bonus objective if all of them get destroyed before they ram.  I've tried to use an argument event that checks if they get destroyed outside a certain distance but it seems to be triggering all of them regardless.

when-argument
-any-of
--<6 ships>
-and
--is-destroyed-delay
---<argument>
-not
--<
---distance
----<argument>
----<Destroyer Name Classified>
-modify-variable
--ShipDestroyedCount(0)
--+
---ShipDestroyedCount(0)
-invalidate-argument
--<argument>

I also attached a message with to play that includes the variable, but it plays even if the ship is destroyed within the 400 M limit.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I think your problem is that when the ship is destroyed, it no longer exists for distance calculations. Have you tried using the damage-caused SEXP? If the ships don't actually shoot at their target the only damage they can cause is via ramming. That said I don't have time to check if damage caused will include kamikaze damage at the moment so it might not work.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Does setting a variable work with an Everytime sexp or does that slow down mission run time too much?  If not, maybe you can set a variable equal to the distance between the two ships until the kamikaze ship dies, and then use the variable to compare the last distance recorded?

You would probably need individual events for each ship, but it would probably work.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You wouldn't even need an every-time for that. A repeating when with a delay of 0 would have the same effect. But yeah, I could see that method working too.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Thanks for the ideas, but I have decided that the bonus objective is contingent on the cap-ship in question's hull staying above a certain level.  There's a secondary for that as well but its set lower.