Author Topic: Dusk Wars: Side Arcs Revealed!  (Read 10286 times)

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Dusk Wars: Side Arcs Revealed!
While Dusk Wars Act 2 is entering its final stages of development, I have decided to reveal one of two of my projects that will come after Dusk Wars Act 2 is released.

Without further stalling:

Dusk Wars: Andvari Conflict

A later project of mine which is still in its concept stage requires a setting stage, such a stage will be provided by this campaign. Dusk Wars: Andvari Conflict will cover Humanity's war against the Andvari Empire in the year 2345.

In the year 2345, the newly reborn Andvari Empire has entered a new age of imperialist belief. Their malevolent monarch would soon lead them on a rampage of destruction across the galaxy and one of their targets is a young race located within the Orion Arm, and that race would be known as the Humans.

What DWAC Will Include:

*A unique atmosphere while keeping the traditional Freespace feel
*Non-Retail Soundtrack provided by various sources
*A taste of what it's like to fight without beams yet with more then just boring blob turrets
*A medium sized campaign with an easy to follow story and various weapon and ship customization options

Do note that Dusk Wars: Andvari Conflict will not be the focus of my endeavors for there is another project that is dying to be released - Yes of course, Dusk Wars Act 2.

Following the release of Dusk Wars Act 2, the second project will be revealed. Until then, enjoy some screenshots of the progress!

Everything seen is subjected to change and do not represent the final product.

In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: Dusk Wars: Side Arcs Revealed!
Looks like a promising news :yes: . I'm still trying to read nameplate of the Orion. It's something like UED-03... Gundam :P ?
And one more question, is this connected to the standard Freespace universe anyhow?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
UED-03 Randam :D

I bet it's just some "randam" orion :D
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline NeonShivan

is this connected to the standard Freespace universe anyhow?

No, Dusk Wars will never relate with the standard Freespace universe.

If there is confusion about the Orion allow me to explain:

The Orion is the best ship to help with what I would like the Human faction to represent in this mod. I needed a destroyer that when compared to a destroyer like the Raynor or the Titan (not saying they will be used in future developments - just examples), it looks old fashion, primitive, but still has the capability of putting pride and fear into the hearts of many.

Plus I looked at ships like Scooby's beautiful Wing Commander ships and others, they didn't exactly fill the requirements ^^

In the mod, the Orion will be referred to as the Ursa, named from the constellation Ursa Major.

UED-03 Randam :D

I bet it's just some "randam" orion :D

Very randam indeed. But no, the ship's name is the UED-03 Arindam. It'll serve an important role in the mod.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

bta i ready to test your campaign

Offline NeonShivan

You're ready to test something that's isn't even remotely close to completion :P

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

yeach i know you was busy with least develempend
dude

Offline NeonShivan

It has been awhile, 4 months in fact since I've posted here but fear not this is not dead.

Taking what I've learned from Act II and the foolish mistakes that I have made, I shall make improvements to ensure that future releases will be as unique as possible with as little reliance from outside sources as much as possible.

With that said, I've decided to take the models currently sitting and collecting dust in Dusk Wars: The Andvari Conflict and add a little creative touch to them to make them look more unique and give Dusk Wars its own unique feel to it that it righteously deserves.

A good example of this will be the Calypso:

Before:

(Image from Betrayal's Workshop forum post)

After:

Further updates will arise when they become available :D

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
This corvette looks pretty good. Alrough it still has Freespace feel in it, it's a right direction. I was thinking about feedback I gave and I forgot about one thing: Don't use Orion, Apollo or whatever you have from Freespace. Use ONLY new ships. I see Apollo on the list, and AFAIK, the Ursa is Orion with BP Carthage textures, right? Rid it off! Orion is too memorable design. You can for example use the Zagreus, it's cool!

And one thing about the Kumari: Don't use current BP model. Just DON'T. Current Kumari is the Aeglos with Tcov1 and some other, custom tile slapped all across the hull. I don't know why BP Team did such abomination, presumably to improve game performance. Despite that, the result is terrible. I think you should use older version of Kumari, that You can find in Shadow Genesis modpack, and than, make a proper reskin.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline NeonShivan

Thank you for your feedback and I feel that this is a good start but:

1. The Kumari actually is the old Aeglos, I kept the name because in my opinion it stuck better then the Aeglos did.
2. I have thought about using the Zagreus but I could never find the most up to date high poly model, I remember one person handing it to me but it was lost with time and a dead computer so I no longer have such a model.
3. I was planning on replacing the Apollo at some point, but could never quite find a good model to replace it as of yet. There are a few candidates
4. If there was a way to obtain such a model then I may just use it.

My approach with the Terran's design is to make them feel more "Halo-ish" but without having the Halo feel, for example, I intend to give them a rather very dark-grey/blue appearance, so far the attempt appears to be working out fine. Thoughts on how to better improve the Calypso would be greatly appreciated!

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
1. The Kumari actually is the old Aeglos, I kept the name because in my opinion it stuck better then the Aeglos did.
Than use some new name :P

2. I have thought about using the Zagreus but I could never find the most up to date high poly model, I remember one person handing it to me but it was lost with time and a dead computer so I no longer have such a model.
HTL of Zagreus was included in Dawn of Sol modpack. I think there is a version with new turrets somewhere. PM Droid803 for this.

BTW. Marauder and Fenrir are Phanes and Aletheia from my old conversions thread? I really would like to see them together in some project.

Offline NeonShivan

Than use some new name :P

Now that I got a fresh reminder of what Kumari means...I think I should...

Doesn't quite fit the naming system the Terrans follows.

Kumari, or Kumari Devi, is the tradition of worshiping young pre-pubescent girls as manifestations of the divine female energy or devi in Hindu religious traditions.

HTL of Zagreus was included in Dawn of Sol modpack. I think there is a version with new turrets somewhere. PM Droid803 for this.

Was thinking of asking Droid since I believe I received a better Zagreus from him.

Marauder and Fenrir are Phanes and Aletheia from my old conversions thread?

No they arent, they're actually due for removal, I'll be replacing them with the Tyr and Vidar perhaps, or something else if better models can be identified. I have plans for the Phanes and the Aletheia for something else entirely.

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline NeonShivan

Did some changes here and there and quite a few ships have been removed and changed to fit my style.

The Fenrir's model which was the Bellerophon from the Inferno Model Dump has been replaced with a retextured Tyr cruiser from Inferno Alliance.

I attempted to give the Tyr a more "UNSC feel" with its textures with a more dark grey/black armor plating. Overall I feel I did the best I could to make something with tile mapping look good but I'll post a better screenshot of the new Fenrir and let you guys decide what should be changed.

EDIT:

Here's the Fenrir in better lighting:

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 05:42:05 pm by BTA »

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I'm not sure if Tyr is a good choice either, as it's mostly based on Fenris. I think You should look for something other.

Offline NeonShivan

I'm not sure if Tyr is a good choice either, as it's mostly based on Fenris. I think You should look for something other.

What do you suggest my friend?

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Check PM. We will figure it out.

Offline NeonShivan

I've decided to take up Betrayal's advice on how to approach the TDC Fleet. As a result, here's an example of the progress:

Everything seen here is subject to change

The Ursa line of destroyers are the pride of any Earth, Capellan, or Syndicate fleet. Boosting a crew of over 10,000, the Ursa is one of the strongest warships in the Terran arsenal. Once the product of the Syndicate, the design blueprints would eventually be sold to Naeve Industries and Naos Fleet Yards of the Naeve Republic and the United Earth Government respectively. However, some construction is handled independently by Deneb Shipyards, although 99% of the Ursas made by the company are sold the UEG. Only one was sold to a foreign bidder in the Syndicate.

Armament:

1x Triple Barrel Heavy Osmium Railgun
6x Triple Barrel Standard Light Depleted Uranium Railgun
Secondary Pulse Turret Batteries
Anti-Fighter Autocannons
Tertiary 120mm Ship to Ship Mass Drivers

Armor:

200 centimeter thick military grade Titanium composite plating

The lore and weapon setup is also subject to change.

One final thing...

No kill like overkill:

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I think it's a good direction :yes:. Remember to keep your textures in proper sizes if You don't want Your BoEs laggy. You will get what I promised at friday.

And give Tychicus pair of big freaking cannons :D.

Offline NeonShivan

I think it's time for a little lore post with pictures, like seriously...who doesn't love reading?!

not me!

Andvari technology has always been decades ahead of its Terran counterparts ever since their first arrival into Terran space nearly a century before. While being one of the first races in the galaxy to achieve space fairing status, the Andvari have always been behind with their technological advantage due to their sudden and yet mysterious exile from their original home system eons beforehand (when held in comparison to the expansionist Anshari Imperium and the zealous Bal'ran Empire) but still hold at just the basis of Tier 2 on the revised Kardashev Technological Achievement Scale. During the War of 2345, the Andvari presented us (through rather violent means) their vast understanding of the sub-atomic universe and the power of light , as well as understanding their polar opposites. Many of their weapon systems revolve around the usage of photon energies and a form of physics which even today, remains a mystery to physicists. However, the one weapon system we found quite easy to understand and comprehend today was their main capital weapon systems, their "Fusion Cannons" which fired pure anti-matter contained in a powerful magnetic field devastated countless TDC warships during the war and annihilated many colonies.

-Retired Admiral Forge, former CO of the NRD Basilisk

TL;DR - Andvari have god weapons compared to you. Enjoy to pictures!

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline NeonShivan

2 missions down...28 more to go. Time for an update!

Thanks to Betrayal, Dusk Wars has received some lovely new assets including the Mystery Mod's exclusive Solomon, renamed the TDCv Calypso for uniqueness:

Now assuming you can do basic math, DWAC is expected to have at most 30 missions, however some may get cut or replaced so the final number is believed to be less than 30.

I will also be attempting to use some of my own simple skyboxes (never done such a thing before so I expect them to come out terrible :P) as well as skyboxes from community members (with proper credit given of course).

Enjoy, until more screenies come to brighten up your day.

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh