Author Topic: HLP Newsletter - January 2013  (Read 13279 times)

Re: HLP Newsletter - January 2013
Indeed, this newsletter was awesome.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Finished Aeos Affair.. It's a decently entertaining Shivan Gauntlet without any real polish. There are hints of some sort of story, but it's pretty clearly just a reason to stick a crapton of hostile Shivans in a mission and to tell the player to go kill them all.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Oh right, the spotlight thingie.  I have the monumental task of a full BP playthrough waiting for me, so I'd better sneak that in beforehand.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm a little sad that few people seem to even be playing the highlighted campaign. If Axem's going to go through all this trouble, we should make it a point to participate. (Especially those of us who rarely set aside time to play campaigns anymore.)

So yes, go play it!  :nod:
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
To be fair, I have played it at some point in the past. :p But it has been a while.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Well, I finished off the Aeos affair today.  As Mjn mentioned, the story is a bit thin and it seems a bit jarring in places, especially some of the command briefings.  The author also obviously liked Myrma-bombers, which just seem out of place/cheesy to me.  It's probably most effective as a skill challenge, which I sorta negated by playing most of it on Easy  :nervous:  (hey, JAD3 is next in my play list!!!)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
I just finished Aeoss Affair too. I found missions really confusing from the start, so I changed my difficulty to easy.
Story-wise, I wasn't convinced. This campaign pretends you are defending a remote area while the GTVA is fighting against the Second Incursion so they won't send much help your way. But until the arrival of the Sathanas fleet, you've got a stronger Shivan presence in Aeoss that in the Nebula theater.
Spoiler:
Shivans even throw a Sathanas at you, and when command fails to track it, they just go "it'll be back, don't worry" :confused:
The campaign not only uses Myrmidons as bombers, but it uses for everything. That is not cool, I like variety.
There are good ideas in there, like the mission were you have to activate the satellites (which were difficult to find as hell) and
Spoiler:
the mission where you have to protect the kamikaze ships to destroy the Sathanas.
I did appreciate the tons of bonus objectives which were properly included in the mission debriefing. I like that :). However, mission briefings and debriefings were generally odd.
So, in the end, I didn't like this campaign much. Maybe I should play it for the challenge at higher difficulties but I can't find the will to do it if the story is not compelling.