Author Topic: Starshatter Downloads Page  (Read 149690 times)

Starshatter Downloads Page
Here's what you need to start playing Starshatter. First, if you haven't already, create a folder C:\Games. Now download the following files.

Full Game 521.04 MB

New Starshatter.exe Mirror 2.1 MB

Starshatter Reborn (effects mod) 35 MB

Unzip the full game to C:\Games. Now you have a folder C:\Games\Starshatter The Gathering Storm. Open up this folder and delete the player.cfg and video.cfg files. The game will recreate these files when you run the game the first time.

Next unzip Starshatter 5.1.66.7z into C:\Games\Starshatter The Gathering Storm and say yes to overwrite. Here's the release info for the contents of the zip.

Now unzip SS_Reborn.7z into C:\Games\Starshatter The Gathering Storm\Mods. This is an effects mod that also has a few fixes for things like carriers.

Right click Starshatter.exe and create a shortcut on the desktop. Right click the shortcut and select Properties. At the end of the target line add " -nosplash " (no quotes). This gets rid of the start up splash screen and speeds up the loading process. Set Compatibility to Windows XP SP2 and check the Disable Desktop Composition box. This fixes a problem with the cursor not reaching the bottom of the screen.

Now fire up the game and navigate to the options screen and change the resolution and whatever else you prefer. Some screen resolutions won't be available so if this is the case find the video.cfg in C:\Games\Starshatter The Gathering Storm and edit it with notepad. Afterwards right click on video.cfg and set it to Read Only. This will keep your resolution from changing every time you enable a mod.

Go into Mod Config and select SS Reborn and hit Enable. Hit Accept and restart the game.

Look in C:\Games\Starshatter The Gathering Storm\Manuals for the game manual.

IMPORTANT NOTE

In order to run, Starshatter Open needs the MSVC 2010 redistributable installed and DirectX updated to latest.

Links for the Redistributable:
x86 version: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555
x64 version: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14632

DirectX web installer: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 09:59:22 am by ngld »
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Re: Starshatter Downloads Page
Reserved for mods

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Question for people that have vox.7z from the gameupdates torrent.

Vox.dat is included in the full game download in the OP.  The SS_Reborn that's listed in the torrent is an old version though. You should download the one in the OP.

Edit: Ok, I just scrolled down and saw your question. The answer is yes vox.dat has to go into C:\Games\Starshatter The Gathering Storm.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 02:51:13 am by rscaper1070 »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Thanks. :)

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I am willing to help mirror these files on fsmods if it's okay with the project maintainers. A new subsection will be created.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Sure, the more mirrors the better.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Effects: http://freespacemods.net/download.php?view.839

Executable: http://freespacemods.net/download.php?view.838

I'll get the full game up in a bit. Trying to work things about behind satellite is difficult.
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I'll get the full game up in a bit. Trying to work things about behind satellite is difficult.

Tell me about it.  Who's your ISP?

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php?view.840

And there's the full game.

I was on Hughesnet jr2, but I'm back home now.

Formerly known as Swantz

I've run into a bit of trouble getting Starshatter to start up.  For the record, I followed the instructions in the opening post to the letter.  When I first attempted to launch the game it told me I was missing a DLL file.  Specifically, msvcr100.  I downloaded the missing DLL from dll-files.com and chucked it in the game directory.  This time when I attempted to start the game a new error message appeared.

Unfortunately, I don't believe the game generated an error log of any kind.  If someone can provide me with instructions on how to create one I will post it. 

I've attached an image of the error message I'm getting.   I hope that helps.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and it has the latest patches from Microsoft.  The graphics card is an NVIDIA Geforce 250 GTS.  The driver version is 296.10.  I know its not the latest version that was released this month.  I prefer to not update my video card drivers right after a new batch is released.  Just in case they missed any bugs.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Aurora Paradox

[attachment deleted by a ninja]
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:18:47 pm by Aurora Paradox »

This has to do with a missing Visual C++ Redistributable package but I can't remember which one. In the original install guide at starshattermods I had a link that The E provided that fixed this issue. As soon as we figure it out I'll update the OP.

For right now here's the MS Answers Page.

This has to do with a missing Visual C++ Redistributable package but I can't remember which one. In the original install guide at starshattermods I had a link that The E provided that fixed this issue. As soon as we figure it out I'll update the OP.

I download and installed Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Packager for (x64), Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package for (x64), and Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64).  I also downloaded and installed the security updates that were available for them.

Unfortunately, this did not resolve the issue.  I'm still receiving the same error message as before. 

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I've run into a bit of trouble getting Starshatter to start up.  For the record, I followed the instructions in the opening post to the letter.  When I first attempted to launch the game it told me I was missing a DLL file.  Specifically, msvcr100.  I downloaded the missing DLL from dll-files.com and chucked it in the game directory.  This time when I attempted to start the game a new error message appeared.

Please forget that a site like dll-files.com even exists :P Those things do generally more harm than good.

As for the error posted, that one generally hints at a corrupted registry. I generally do not like to advise it, but using one of the registry cleaning programs available may be able to help here.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline starlord

rscaper, out of curiosity, are also the modfiles like the solcom and guardian mods preserved or still accessible?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I was on Hughesnet jr2, but I'm back home now.

Solution for HughesNet:  Hotspot Shield (paid Elite version is faster with no ads, currently @ $29.95 a year, use code TechBargains20 to get a 20% discount off of that).

What happens: you get one of the most popular VPN services... and... well, just take a look at your HughesNet download allowance after downloading/uploading something.  Gosh darn, whoops, that's a crying shame.  :rolleyes:

My guess is HSS/HSS Elite is accidentally using some port that HughesNet is set to 'ignore' traffic on, perhaps for their corporate customers (the Front Desks at all of the Super 8s in my area use HN for whatever stupid reason.. it's slow, but it's steady and absolutely unlimited).

Anywho, if you're ever in a pinch, I'd use HSS, and if you're in a pinch with HN a lot, I'd fork over money for Elite (like I did, as I have to use it at home)

[grumble]FYI, HughesNet FAP caps are:

USD per month:$40$80$110Biz:$60$80$110$200$350
MB U&D allotted within any 24-hour timespan:250MB350MB450MBBiz:250MB350MB450MB850MB850MB
Speed (Down/Up):1Mb/200Kb1.5Mb/250Kb2.0Mb/300KbBiz:1Mb/200Kb1.5Mb/250Kb2Mb/300Kb3Mb/512Kb5Mb/1024Kb

Any amount uploaded/downloaded past your "FAP" or Fair Access Policy gets you landed in a 24-hour dial-up speed mode.  This is to ensure "Fair, fast speeds for all users" and blah blah blah.. unless you have $10, in which case they will reset your allowance.  Ooh, I get it, it's more fair if you have more money?  Anyways, there are some encouraging signs, you can "bank" a day's worth of download allowance (so if you don't use the Internet you get 200% of your download allowance until you use it), you do get two free "reset tokens" (which otherwise cost $10) per month, and there has always been a window from around 2AM-7AM where your download/upload activity does not count against you. EDIT: Oh, and the Up & Down speeds are "max", you never get anywhere near that, ever, except, I've heard, during your first month of service, which is the period where you can get out of your two-year contract with them without paying an early termination fee.[/grumble]
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 09:11:44 am by jr2 »

Offline braddw25

I download and installed Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Packager for (x64), Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package for (x64), and Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64).  I also downloaded and installed the security updates that were available for them.

Unfortunately, this did not resolve the issue.  I'm still receiving the same error message as before. 

Now that you have the C++ package installed try deleting the mvscr1000.dll or whatever it is from your starshatter directory. From what I have read the current error you are getting come from mismatching 32 and 64 bit programs. This is just a shot in the dark, but give it a try and see what happens. If you go back to getting the original error then some have solved this by copying the .dll into their system32 directory. By advised though that microsoft support does not think this is a good idea, but apparently it does work for some folks. I would at least try deleting the file from your starshatter directory and see what that does.

I have a different problem.
The new exe supplied above does not launch correctly. Without so much as a black screen, "Starshatter has encountered a problem and needs to close. The game runs fine with the original exe and dll. I found the attached log, but I don't know what the error indicates. It might have something to do with having a 32 bit system, but eh.

[attachment deleted by a ninja]

I have a different problem.
The new exe supplied above does not launch correctly. Without so much as a black screen, "Starshatter has encountered a problem and needs to close. The game runs fine with the original exe and dll. I found the attached log, but I don't know what the error indicates. It might have something to do with having a 32 bit system, but eh.

You could try putting the game in C:\Games but otherwise I don't know. If you have to use the original exe be sure and change the compatibility mode to Windows XP SP2 and turn off desktop composition.

rscaper, out of curiosity, are also the modfiles like the solcom and guardian mods preserved or still accessible?

I have quite a few and I'm sure braddw25 has even more. It's just a matter of uploading them all.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
inb4harddiskcrashofDOOM