Author Topic: War in Heaven Voice Acting — VICTORY IS LIFE!  (Read 113335 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: War in Heaven Voice Acting Death March
You'll know when we release the final cast :P

Sorry to be so vague, but that's the best answer available. If you see a role you think you can do, feel free to submit your takes. Having a choice is not a bad thing, after all.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I don't always agree with how my voices sounds at times. I usually do a little editing before using it for things like vids and etc. But what the hey, you gotta take chances sometime, right? There's always the possibility you might somehow surprise yourself one day. ;)
Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Do the changes with your throat. ;P

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Are you sure you want Solaris Control to sound all croaky and sick?  :lol:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'd love to help but my voice is cringe-worthy material. Nevertheless the best of luck, and I might try again some time later.

A lot of people say this, but you should leave it up to us to judge! Accents can cover up all kinds of flaws.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
STARWOLF1991 and SARKOTH are the first to hurl themselves on the guns! Glory to these pioneers.

Listen, I hear a lot of 'I'd love to submit, but I sound awful'. That's our job to decide. If your recording equipment isn't complete **** and if you can hold a level tone and sound competent, odds are you'll find a place somewhere. Throw your bodies into the breach! Overwhelm the script!

Offline Luis Dias

Yeah got it. I will try it later. It's true that everyone thinks their own voice to be ghastly when it's not (I actually know no one who answers otherwise), but it's also true that I do find my voice absolutely horrible. So I'll pretend my judgement is stoopid for some minutes and will try to do something.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Dekker, please audition for Prathanya, the EOD guy!

As a reward for Continued Mass Auditions (Sarkoth recorded the entire Kassim role, props to him for dedication!), I've updated the first post with an audio preview of one of our central characters.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Brie sounds awesome. :O

I think the bane of many would-be voice actors is hearing your own recordings. If there are ways to handle that such as recordings made during a skype-esque video call where immediate feedback can be given, who knows if that helps.

I'm glad to see the VA moving along though and indeed, the voice actor behind Brie is really great. Hope to see more updates in time.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I think the bane of many would-be voice actors is hearing your own recordings.
This is absolutely true; and there's nothing to be done about it except hearing your own recording, submitting it anyway, and getting feedback.

I recorded a line and thought it sounded terrible, but submitted it anyway because I know that somebody has to submit lines for this thing to ever get finished. Battuta listened to it, encouraged me, and now I've auditioned for four roles. Try it and see what happens!
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You can get on IRC with us and link dialogue to get real time feedback.

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
I have to admit that speaking lines in as a lot more fun than I would have imagined. I actually dropped playing Act1 of the unification war for today just to keep recording. I am probably just going to go fully overboard and will throw in a lot. Quantity does not imply less quality though. And seeing that the record is at six roles per head already, I don't think that's necessarily overdoing it. But just in case more than one voice gets into the final version (if any), I try to give each character a noticeably different voice. So far, so good.

You can get on IRC with us and link dialogue to get real time feedback.

*contemplating if it would be a wise idea, visiting the long forgotten wolves' den of channels that start with "#"* Probably not, going to pass on that.
Only the one passed trough darkness obtains the right to ask for light

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I saw from the script's autonotifications that you submitted for Alliance News and another role - if you've sent that email already, it didn't reach me yet, but it might be that you're just noting them off as you record and haven't hit 'send' yet.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
*contemplating if it would be a wise idea, visiting the long forgotten wolves' den of channels that start with "#"* Probably not, going to pass on that.

#bp is best channel tho. No fears, we do not bite. Unless you are food. Then we will.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Does anyone think it would be possible to get Ronny Cox to portray Ken?
Stuff

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I emailed him and Terran Command a while ago, but never heard back.  :(

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
That's unfortunate, maybe I'll give it a try
Stuff

Battuta, another email with another package of recorded submissions is heading your way very shortly! Also dropped a comment on the doco as before for others. That will make eight different submissions split over two packages you'll have from me; time to sit back and let others have a go. ;)
Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Made a lot of progress on stage directions for Simms' script today. Simms is the single biggest chunk of work left anywhere in the script, so it's all downhill from there. As expected, the toughest part is going to be The Intervention, which is an absolute monster.

Send me more auditions so I can post more samples. The next step of our death march (voice acting or DEATH) will be to reach out to other voice acting communities, so let me know if you've got any candidates to nominate.