Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next >
Gaming Discussion / Re: Refurbished Win98 PC
« Last post by Det. Bullock on May 26, 2017, 01:38:21 pm »
When I move the mipmap slider to blurry, everything get's... well blurry, moving it to noisy makes things slightly sharper (maybe that has something to do with the wrapper you use?)
I've tried it now using the gunnery training mission as a reference (since you spawn still directly in front of a container), when set to "blurry" the container looks super-sharp while when set to "noisy" it has the classic "blurry" look (the same as the deafult the tie fighter windows port is stuck at).

I use the alternative Ddraw DLL originally made for X-wing Alliance:
https://github.com/rdoeffinger/xwa_ddraw_d3d11/releases/tag/v1.4.9

EDIT

Screenshots attached, I noticed I had dithering disabled for both of them though I don't know what was that for since it doesn't seem to do anything once activated (perhaps it's for software mode?).

Ah, I didn't move the slider all the way to the blurry end before. It appears the slider adjusts the distance at which mipmap levels are switched. Having the slider almost at the blurry end results in very blurry textures. But slamming it all the way to the blurry end, appears to completely disable mipmaps, resulting in a sharper image (plus mipmap aliasing artifacts).
I have to try that alternative DDraw.DLL, that works on modern systems, right? I have to replay Balance of Power with that kind of graphics someday.
Yes, IIRC the GOG version comes packed with it already, I installed it manually since they didn't implement it yet when I discovered it (before that I used an exe patch and DGvoodoo2 but the res remained the vanilla 640x480 no matter what).
The wrapper is made for modern systems in the first place, it's a DX11 wrapper, I play XvT on windows 7 64 bit with it.
Ah, well.  Then, retroactively, what I _meant_ was that even though it was released we didn't ship it with the updated version :P

So we still need to fix that by shipping an updated wxLauncher with an updated SDL2 :)
That's what I meant, even the last RC we shipped is still using 2.0.3.
To be clear, when you said
Probably cause we haven't shipped an updated wxLauncher since a newer version was released?
you meant that wxLauncher didn't get updated after SDL 2.0.4 was released? If so, that's incorrect; the first RC for wxLauncher 0.12 was released months after FSO had already updated to SDL 2.0.4.
The Modding Workshop / Re: Help please!
« Last post by Admiral Nelson on May 26, 2017, 12:36:47 pm »
Different gauges for different ships should be entirely possible.  I'm not myself that conversant with the scripting system.  I'd suggest bringing the WCS Open scripting.tbl over into the scripting forum and see if those familiar with LUA can provide alternative code to replace the commented out stuff that works in standard FSO.
Gaming Discussion / Re: Factorio- Automate ALL the Things!
« Last post by AdmiralRalwood on May 26, 2017, 12:33:22 pm »
Oil wells don't last for ****.
All resources don't last for ****; that's why you're supposed to continually expand and find ways to ship those resources back to your main factory. Oil wells are actually the best in this regard because they have a minimum yield; once you have the capability, you can throw speed module 3s into your pumpjacks and spread around some beacons with more in order to increase how much that minimum yield gives you.

In older versions, shipping oil had to be done by making barrels, then filling those barrels with oil, then putting the oil-filled barrels into a train, and emptying the barrels at the destination. Now there are fluid wagons, so liquids can be shipped by trains directly, so you can choose whether to ship crude oil, or whether to process the oil remotely and then ship the individual components back to your main factory (and, for good measure, pretty much every kind of liquid can now be barrelled up, so shipping all kinds of liquids can be done either way).
That's what I meant, even the last RC we shipped is still using 2.0.3.  We need a new stable release with 2.0.4 (or 2.0.5 if we can be _newer_ than the shipping FSO version).
Probably cause we haven't shipped an updated wxLauncher since a newer version was released?
But even the RC for 0.12 is still using SDL 2.0.3.
The Modding Workshop / Re: Help please!
« Last post by crazycanuck on May 26, 2017, 11:35:00 am »
Ok, so I either need a scripting guru or I need to work with the gauges I don't know much about the newer weapons gauge. Do you think it will be possible to make custom variants for each ship?
Gaming Discussion / Re: Factorio- Automate ALL the Things!
« Last post by z64555 on May 26, 2017, 10:45:58 am »
The transport belt madness challenge campaign really helped me with that, but then again it's not a tutorial.

@Cobra: Sorry m8! Didn't know you had made a topic about Factorio a year ago.  :banghead:
Gaming Discussion / Re: Refurbished Win98 PC
« Last post by Col. Fishguts on May 26, 2017, 10:30:24 am »
When I move the mipmap slider to blurry, everything get's... well blurry, moving it to noisy makes things slightly sharper (maybe that has something to do with the wrapper you use?)
I've tried it now using the gunnery training mission as a reference (since you spawn still directly in front of a container), when set to "blurry" the container looks super-sharp while when set to "noisy" it has the classic "blurry" look (the same as the deafult the tie fighter windows port is stuck at).

I use the alternative Ddraw DLL originally made for X-wing Alliance:
https://github.com/rdoeffinger/xwa_ddraw_d3d11/releases/tag/v1.4.9

EDIT

Screenshots attached, I noticed I had dithering disabled for both of them though I don't know what was that for since it doesn't seem to do anything once activated (perhaps it's for software mode?).

Ah, I didn't move the slider all the way to the blurry end before. It appears the slider adjusts the distance at which mipmap levels are switched. Having the slider almost at the blurry end results in very blurry textures. But slamming it all the way to the blurry end, appears to completely disable mipmaps, resulting in a sharper image (plus mipmap aliasing artifacts).
I have to try that alternative DDraw.DLL, that works on modern systems, right? I have to replay Balance of Power with that kind of graphics someday.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next >