Author Topic: Freespace vs. X crossover debate...sigh :D  (Read 54642 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Freespace vs. X crossover debate...sigh :D
Yeah, but by that argument, FreeSpace weapons are also considerably weaker than their fluff suggests.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Star Wars fluff says both, at different places, at different points in real life's plot line.  The Empire Stikes Back novelization, I believe, has the figures for the uber-turrets.  I will try to find it.

I'm pretty sure that it would take >or= 3 Star Destroyers to challenge an Orion. Think about how strong the hulls of FS ships have to be to withstand stellar hazards, and then take into account that SW ships use ray/particle/deflector shields for such things. I think the Orion would have absolute control of such a battle. This argument applies only if you accept the fact that Shivan shields on the Lucy are completely different in their operation and effect.
I shat all over that Shivan fighter....right up 'till his buddy got me.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
We have zero evidence for that.

We have zero evidence for that.

"Damn the torpedoes, Full speed ahead!" I don't much care for evidence when we're comparing two (hopefully) ficticious universes.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Exactly.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
On that note, Arwings could take the SATHANAS FLEET SINGLE HANDEDLY :p
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Just aim for the yellow weak spots!

Fluff text for any universe tends to be complete bull****.

I always just go with onscreen evidence and that evidence suggests the ISDs are pretty damn weak. I think a Deimos vs an ISD could give a good accounting of itself but would ultimately lose. Whereas an Orion or Typhon would probably squeek out a victory.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Here's another method for rating universes:

Set all weapons technology equal.  The same systems that operate behind turbolasers operate the Terran Huge Turret, etc...

In this scenario, FS pwns. 

Turbolasers appear to be about the size of a WWII AA gun or battleship deck gun. 

THTs are larger than your average house, and the barrels' diameter is the length of a fighter.  Thus, THT = turbolaser on steroids in said equivalency scenario. 

I'm probably going to get upbraided for being all about size, so I'll move on to a more comprehensive argument:

On-screen evidence is the best indicator of actual power, and the lasers used in bombardment in KOTOR are a little more powerful than a cruise missile. 

In FS, we never see a canonical planetary bombardment, but seeing how large and powerful the blasts of nuclear devices are w/o any atmosphere to transfer kinetic energy, just unleashing one Harbinger or Helios in atmo would = serious s**t.

Also, seeing that beam cannons can do equivalent damage, we can assume a beam would cause damage similar to a nuclear device if fired towards a planet.  I'm not sure about EU, but to my knowledge, no movie-era SW starships carry similar firepower.

SW does have hyperspace, and while it may be faster than subspace travel, the ships must arrive in the same orientation as departure, and must use hyperspace lanes,  very similar to subspace nodes, thus limiting maneuverability.

The argument that an ISD could traverse the entire GTVA in a matter of minutes needs more supporting evidence.  How far apart are GTVA systems?  What stellar obstacles are in the way?  Subspace allows a ship to move without fearing collision with another celestial body.

Interdictors would not be able to stop a FS fleet jump.  No canon examples of an FS ship being pulled out of subspace due to gravity exist, giving FS ships a safe haven from attack since no node technology exists in SW.

And as for Orion v. ISD, an FS1 Orion might barely squeak out a victory, FS2-era would dominate.  Even with the shields, an ISD's can be lowered by sustained turbolaser fire.  A beam cannon is equivalent to thousands of turbolaser blasts, and could quickly pierce these shields and make quick work of the ISD's hull.

Is it just me, or does the ISD's hull seem incredibly thin compared to the Orion's?
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Is it just me, or does the ISD's hull seem incredibly thin compared to the Orion's?

Different 'verse, they rely on shielding, which is better than armour, it repairs itself.  Similar with Star trek.... now warhammerverse would probably make the Orion look like tissue paper armour.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Set all weapons technology equal.  The same systems that operate behind turbolasers operate the Terran Huge Turret, etc...

Not at all, since we have no idea what the table values for the ISD's guns are. What about ISD-mounted beam weapons, as seen on the Open Circle Fleet (not strictly ISDs, but actually more primitive ships)?

Turbolasers appear to be about the size of a WWII AA gun or battleship deck gun. THTs are larger than your average house, and the barrels' diameter is the length of a fighter.  Thus, THT = turbolaser on steroids in said equivalency scenario. 

In FS canon the same weapons are fired from turrets of vastly varying size so this is hardly relevant. Look at the flak firing from those COLOSSAL Hecate turrets!

I'm probably going to get upbraided for being all about size, so I'll move on to a more comprehensive argument:

On-screen evidence is the best indicator of actual power, and the lasers used in bombardment in KOTOR are a little more powerful than a cruise missile. 

In FS, we never see a canonical planetary bombardment, but seeing how large and powerful the blasts of nuclear devices are w/o any atmosphere to transfer kinetic energy, just unleashing one Harbinger or Helios in atmo would = serious s**t.

Actually, the blasts of the nuclear weapons in FS are pretty tiny compared to what they should be on FS scales.

Also, seeing that beam cannons can do equivalent damage, we can assume a beam would cause damage similar to a nuclear device if fired towards a planet.  I'm not sure about EU, but to my knowledge, no movie-era SW starships carry similar firepower.

Yeah, but the SWverse seems to blow up planets - fully disintegrating them, not just taking out the surface! - so it's kind of a wash.

SW does have hyperspace, and while it may be faster than subspace travel, the ships must arrive in the same orientation as departure, and must use hyperspace lanes,  very similar to subspace nodes, thus limiting maneuverability.

How is the orientation thing at all important?

Hyperspace lanes aren't anything like subspace nodes. Hyperspace offers tremendous freedom over long distances. Subspace offers in-system freedom or tiny linear hops between close systems.

The argument that an ISD could traverse the entire GTVA in a matter of minutes needs more supporting evidence.  How far apart are GTVA systems?

Use a basic star chart: almost all GTVA systems are real stars. 

What stellar obstacles are in the way?  Subspace allows a ship to move without fearing collision with another celestial body.

Given canonical travel times, a Star Wars ship moving in a straight line would probably cross GTVA space in seconds. These guys can get across the galaxy in a reasonable timespan. GTVA space is literally a tiny chunk of one spiral arm.

Interdictors would not be able to stop a FS fleet jump.  No canon examples of an FS ship being pulled out of subspace due to gravity exist, giving FS ships a safe haven from attack since no node technology exists in SW.

We have no idea whether they would or wouldn't. There's no grounds for comparison.

Using nodes to travel in the SWverse, however, is akin to moving your troops by wheelchair and tricycle.

And as for Orion v. ISD, an FS1 Orion might barely squeak out a victory, FS2-era would dominate.  Even with the shields, an ISD's can be lowered by sustained turbolaser fire.  A beam cannon is equivalent to thousands of turbolaser blasts, and could quickly pierce these shields and make quick work of the ISD's hull.

We have no idea what a beam cannon is equivalent to.

The point of all this is that any comparison between the two universes requires a ridiculous amount of assumption and wank.

Furthermore, the fundamental idea that the coolness of a universe is somehow related to whether it can beat another universe is just absurd.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
A-wing hits SSD, SSD dies. . . .  Perseus hits an Orion, Perseus bounces off Orion. Orion is tougher ;)
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Terran Laser - destroys a asteroid in a single hit
Turbolaser - destroys an asteroid in a single hit

Work out the minimal energy needed to do that and work from there.

All said, FS does feel more powerfull. In Star Wars, the ships trade loads and loads of turbolaser shots and seem to do comparatively little damage.
In FS2, all it takes for even a large ship to blow up is a few beam hits
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
All said, FS does feel more powerfull. In Star Wars, the ships trade loads and loads of turbolaser shots and seem to do comparatively little damage.
In FS2, all it takes for even a large ship to blow up is a few beam hits
Star Wars does have some insane stuff though, the Empire alone is capable of building numerous artificial planetoids, which the GTVA has no hope in hell of doing at their technological level.

The Shivans OTOH, well that's another story. ;)

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
As I can see,

A megaton of force should release roughly 4000 megajoules. Given this data, this means that a Harbinger bomb should release 20 terajoules. That's already in the terajoule-range, so FS fluff = SW fluff, probably.

But in either universes the fluff can still be disproven. As a conclusion of the above paragraph, it requires 31 Harbingers to take down an Orion. And that's - 620 terajoules. 620 Terajoules, or  to take down a 6,600 long armored brick of metal with shielding and armor. That's 155 gigatons needed to take 2 kilometres of metal - and yet you could take down an entire city with the Hiroshima nuke, which is only 15 kilotons. A Harbinger bomb could probably blast apart 333 000 present-day cities clustered together...with ONE harbinger, that means that an Orion equals 10,333,333 cities in durability. WOW  :shaking:

Also, this means that Freespace fluff IS true, considering extratremendous shielding of the Orion. Or, it is NOT true.

Considering FS fluff IS true, then the Lucy's Twin Flux Cannons means death to a hundred million present-day cities. And, if you want its "Blue Beam" to be as strong as a BFRed, then...

it pwns 300,000,000 present-day Hiroshimas. Yet in the vid it clearly ransacks just a SINGLE Vasudan city. Is the fluff true or not??

If we could manage to mod a missile dealing damage equal to a BFRed, or as said above, equal to the Lucy's blue beam that demolished Vasuda, then that means this missile would mean doom to the entire world in one shockwave.

Meaning to say that, if the Lucifer's blue beam wasn't concentrated in just one spot, then it would ransack Earth in one pulse. ONE PULSE   :shaking: :shaking:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:40:23 am by Marcov »
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Set all weapons technology equal.  The same systems that operate behind turbolasers operate the Terran Huge Turret, etc...

Turbolasers appear to be about the size of a WWII AA gun or battleship deck gun.  

THTs are larger than your average house, and the barrels' diameter is the length of a fighter.  Thus, THT = turbolaser on steroids in said equivalency scenario.  

Also, seeing that beam cannons can do equivalent damage, we can assume a beam would cause damage similar to a nuclear device if fired towards a planet.  I'm not sure about EU, but to my knowledge, no movie-era SW starships carry similar firepower.

SW does have hyperspace, and while it may be faster than subspace travel, the ships must arrive in the same orientation as departure, and must use hyperspace lanes,  very similar to subspace nodes, thus limiting maneuverability.

The argument that an ISD could traverse the entire GTVA in a matter of minutes needs more supporting evidence.  How far apart are GTVA systems?  What stellar obstacles are in the way?  Subspace allows a ship to move without fearing collision with another celestial body.

Interdictors would not be able to stop a FS fleet jump.  No canon examples of an FS ship being pulled out of subspace due to gravity exist, giving FS ships a safe haven from attack since no node technology exists in SW.

And as for Orion v. ISD, an FS1 Orion might barely squeak out a victory, FS2-era would dominate.  Even with the shields, an ISD's can be lowered by sustained turbolaser fire.  A beam cannon is equivalent to thousands of turbolaser blasts, and could quickly pierce these shields and make quick work of the ISD's hull.

This is what I'm talking about; and Battutta went and made an argument based on .tbl files. WTF, Battutta?

EDIT: I attempted to call out the wrong person. Sorry Colonel Dekker. Long Live the Queen!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 05:27:07 pm by kaloonzu »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
My argument stands :p
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

This is a Freespace message board therefore Freespace wins against all others, be it Star Trek, Star Wars or Babylon 5.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
*a long post*

This is what I'm talking about; and Battutta went and made an argument based on .tbl files. WTF, Battutta?

EDIT: I attempted to call out the wrong person. Sorry Colonel Dekker. Long Live the Queen!

If you think my argument was based on .tbl files then you are not reading.

Go back and read it again.

My entire point is that this debate is silly because

a) there are no grounds for comparison and

b) the Culture wipes the floor with everybody.