Author Topic: [RELEASE] Shadow Genesis: 2017 Edition  (Read 179030 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: The Shadow is coming... SHADOW GENESIS: RELEASE
Text-to-speech, for those who want a robovoice reading mission dialog.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
@Betrayal: You're welcome. I'm not the first one to find that problem and it's solution, I think someone else hit it earlier in the thread.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Going off what Aurora Paradox just said, there is a minor bug with the mod.ini. The way the 1.1a patch is configured, many of the new weapons lack sounds. If you open up the mod.ini and switch the secondarylist around so that the main Shadow Genesis release is in front of the MediaVPs, the problem is resolved.
It didn't wanted to work with that configuration for unknown reason. It just didn't read basic Shadow Genesis 1.0 folder. If it's working now, thats great. Thanks for the help.
is there a way to enable TTS for this mod?  I'm using build Freespace Open build 3.7.0.  TTS is enabled in the launcher settings
Err... :P What is TTS?

I'm referring to text to speech.  The ability hear the mission briefings and mission dialogue through the voice of Microsoft Anna. 

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
I ran into a bug on Mission 26: Long Road Home. Wasp and Driller don't seem to be properly ship-guardianed; I attempted the mission a couple times and they kept getting shot down.

Also, I'm having the bug where a Penetrator or Penetrator II only does a few percent damage to Nightmare beam cannons. Bizarrely, the bug only happens when I use the missiles at close range; when I fire them from a long distance they do proper damage.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
I'm getting a repeated CTD on mission 40. It seems to happen randomly; I'm not sure what causes it. At any rate it's preventing me from finishing the mission.

EDIT: I think the problem was me having my graphics settings too high. Normally I run the game on medium-ish settings, but this time I turned my model detail up to high so I could see Hiven in all his glory. And then I forgot to turn them back down.

Unfortunately, even with that problem fixed I'm having trouble beating this mission, so if anyone has advice I'd love to hear it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 10:06:21 pm by InsaneBaron »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Hiven is actually a very low poly model, but SG has pretty big number of graphical effects and size of battles is a little bit bigger than in standard FS2. I warned about a decent computer U need to play :P What's your problem with this mission? Is this the one with disarming Hiven? It's pretty easy...
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Just grab Titan/HYPACS, Excalibur and PLENTY of Penetrators and take down beams one after one. 15 minutes is enough time to take down all of them, but you will advance to the next mission even if some beams are still operational when Hiven departs. And Nightmare fighters should also not be a problem if you have the Vampire armed with Excalibur and Overwhelm.

As for mission 26 (sorry for so late reply), do you play with patch 1.1? If so, Penetrator's accuracy should be just fine. But still do not expect it to be too accurate if you are too close when firing. Penetrator is a long-range missile.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Just grab Titan/HYPACS, Excalibur and PLENTY of Penetrators and take down beams one after one. 15 minutes is enough time to take down all of them, but you will advance to the next mission even if some beams are still operational when Hiven departs. And Nightmare fighters should also not be a problem if you have the Vampire armed with Excalibur and Overwhelm.

As for mission 26 (sorry for so late reply), do you play with patch 1.1? If so, Penetrator's accuracy should be just fine. But still do not expect it to be too accurate if you are too close when firing. Penetrator is a long-range missile.

Thanks, I'll try that. Regarding Mission 26, I was playing on patch 1.1, but yes, I was using the missiles at pretty close range, so that makes sense.

@Betrayal: My main problem has been trying to protect the bombers without getting killed myself. I'm getting better at it though.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
What exactly kills you? Enemy fighters? Hiven's cannons?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
What exactly kills you? Enemy fighters? Hiven's cannons?

Well, I just beat the mission. :) I was getting killed by a combination of Phantasm fighters and beams from the cruisers (Rouge mainly). Solution: use Titans, prioritize the cruiser's AA beams.

I managed to destroy all of Hiven's beams except the seemingly-indestructible main one, getting myself an achievement in the process.

Incidentally, I'm up to 19 achievements now, and according to the list there are two more achievements on the next mission, so if I can get one of them I'll be able to play the special loop.

Overall, excellent campaign so far!  :yes:

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Yeah, Titan/HyPAcS is the point. Nightmare cruiser is a very challenging enemy. Most of the missions and enemies were designed to force the player to develop individual tactics for each one of them, and each mission. Control of your wingmates is very important as well. I think we will point that with 1.2 patch, when it's released. Many players found SG "badly balanced" because of it's difficulty level, while we just used more realistic fighting model :P.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Yeah, Titan/HyPAcS is the point. Nightmare cruiser is a very challenging enemy. Most of the missions and enemies were designed to force the player to develop individual tactics for each one of them, and each mission. Control of your wingmates is very important as well. I think we will point that with 1.2 patch, when it's released. Many players found SG "badly balanced" because of it's difficulty level, while we just used more realistic fighting model :P.

Personally I don't think it's "badly balanced", I just think it's "harder than normal", which is fine by me.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Agreed, Shadow Genesis is harder then your usual campaign, but it's nicer this way.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Thanks for your kind comments :)

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Agreed, Shadow Genesis is harder then your usual campaign, but it's nicer this way.

Here's how I like to look at it. Two campaigns I would give high scores to for mission design are Warzone and Sol: A History. But S:AH is significantly harder than Warzone. There's no one target level of difficulty that all campaigns should aim at.

Deciding on the difficulty level is like deciding whether or not to have a speaking player character: there's no one right answer, and the more variety we have the better. People who like one kind of campaign can play it, people who prefer the other kind can play that, and people who can enjoy both get some variety in their FreeSpace diet.

So Betrayal, Macielos, I don't think you guys need to reduce the difficulty. It's good to have some hard campaigns and some easier ones, and SG's difficulty is part of what makes it stand out. There are a number of things I'd like to see fixed in the next patch, but difficulty isn't one of them.

And you're welcome! I'll let you know if I succeed in earning the special loop.'

EDIT: out of curiosity, how many of Hiven's beams need to be destroyed in order to complete mission 40?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:49:24 pm by InsaneBaron »

Offline CT27

I'd say reduce the overall difficulty just a tad.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
EDIT: out of curiosity, how many of Hiven's beams need to be destroyed in order to complete mission 40?
AFAIK... None of them :P. The point is that it will make next mission much harder. Hell yeah, I love this one.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
AFAIK... None of them :P. The point is that it will make next mission much harder. Hell yeah, I love this one.

Ah, I see. Well, in that case I'll still have to destroy his main cannon, but I won't have to get distracted by the primary and secondary beams, so I'd say I did pretty well.

anyone share the experience how to finish the mission 37?
I stuck in this mission for 2 nights,I have tried so many ways,but I don't have enough time to disarm enemy's main beam,anyone share the experience plz?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Use Excalibur/HyPAcS or Excalibur/Titan for primary weapons and Penetrators II/Overwhelm/Szczerbiec for secondary. Arm your wingman with Penetrators II. Order each of your wingman to disarm different beam cannon of Nightmare's cruisers. One wingman to one cannon. You should personaly focus on main cannons on Nightmares's artillery frigates [Meshulam-class]. Some beams of Nightmare destroyers are indestructible till' our reinforcements arrive. Don't care about the base and most of our fleet, only about Subspace Perturber. If any terran artillery frigates survived, protect them as well as you can.