Author Topic: Launching hangs/gets stuck after hitting Commit  (Read 3010 times)

Launching hangs/gets stuck after hitting Commit
Picture = words

Light = host
Seventeen = me

So I was able to see my friend in the chat lobby just fine, and he created a game as host for me to join. I was able to join the game as it was forming, but once he hit Commit, we were left stuck on the screen above for 10+ minutes. We didn't wait longer than that, but I doubt it would have gotten anywhere if 10 minutes wasn't enough.

It just gets stuck saying the host status is "Mission sync" and mine is "Mission file xfer (transfer?)" Other than that, it just says "Sending update state packet" for me. I believe the host was seeing a bit more text in the panel in the bottom left.

If we can see each other and I can join his game as it's forming, port forwarding/static IP shouldn't even be a matter right?

Thanks for any help!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Launching hangs/gets stuck after hitting Commit
It just gets stuck saying the host status is "Mission sync" and mine is "Mission file xfer (transfer?)" Other than that, it just says "Sending update state packet" for me. I believe the host was seeing a bit more text in the panel in the bottom left.
Hanging for 10 mins doesn't seem right.  Even the largest mission should transfer far faster that that.  You may be able to get around this by sharing the mission between yourselves before playing?
If we can see each other and I can join his game as it's forming, port forwarding/static IP shouldn't even be a matter right?
Being able to join the game is what matters, although I would normally have said that the host always needs to forward 7808/tcp & 7808/udp
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Is the host running a 3rd party mission? If you just copy that manually to your Diaspora/Data/Missions folder you won't need to xfer the mission.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Apologies- the tab I kept open on this thread wasn't refreshed so I missed these replies.

To answer you both- we were trying to run the stock Asteroid Dogfight mission. I believe he has set up his ports correctly- other than that, would there be some setup process that we're missing? We're both on the FS2NET and can see each other on the FS2NET website and in the multiplayer lobby.

P.S. Gosh the lobby is a ghost town! I have never seen a single soul other than my friend and I.