Author Topic: RELEASE: "The Aftermath"  (Read 31361 times)

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Re: RELEASE: "The Aftermath"
I'm not sure.

I tried the campaign today and I´m really impressed...it`s great but even hard. Even the first mission. Endless waves of enemies attacking the convoy until disabling one of the craft - mission lost.

And I have some minor bugs, first of all the enemies are not shown on the radar (no red dots).

I am playing the version of cyborg17 with a self-compiled 3.7.1 build on Ubuntu 64 bit. The following error messages occur in the terminal when wxlauncher is started:

3.7.1 build after I want to start the campaign:
Code: [Select]
ERROR: "Can't open model file <jackal-e.pof>" at model/modelread.cpp:968
AL lib: ReleaseALC: 1 device not closed

3.7.0 release crashes directly:

ERROR: "mv_effects-sdf.tbm(line 16): Error: Required token = [#END] or [$Species_Name:], found [$Countermeasure Type: Type One] ." at parse/parselo.cpp:336

Any ideas?

Offline CT27

I tried the campaign today and I´m really impressed...it`s great but even hard. Even the first mission. Endless waves of enemies attacking the convoy until disabling one of the craft - mission lost.

And I have some minor bugs, first of all the enemies are not shown on the radar (no red dots).

I would advise keep playing.  Oddly enough the first mission is one of the harder ones in the game for quite a while.

Offline Cyborg17

I am playing the version of cyborg17 with a self-compiled 3.7.1 build on Ubuntu 64 bit. The following error messages occur in the terminal when wxlauncher is started:

3.7.1 build after I want to start the campaign:
ERROR: "Can't open model file <jackal-e.pof>" at model/modelread.cpp:968

3.7.0 release crashes directly:

ERROR: "mv_effects-sdf.tbm(line 16): Error: Required token = [#END] or [$Species_Name:], found [$Countermeasure Type: Type One] ." at parse/parselo.cpp:336

Any ideas?

One of the things to remember is that -- despite having an independent ships.tbl from BP:WIH2 to fix ship limit issues -- assets, effects, ai tables, etc. are mostly dependent on the one ones in BP.  Blue Planet is constantly on the cutting edge for their development so it usually requires up-to-date builds.  3.7.0 if I remember correctly is not compatible with the current BP release.  Please test to see if BP will run with your custom build, and if it won't then it probably won't be able to run Aftermath either.

I would suggest using 3.7.2 RC 3 if you can.

@Knarfe, have you tried the sensor range button?  Is your sensor range set to zero?  Do they display on other mods?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
3.7.0 is choking on the species-specific countermeasures in the 2014 MediaVPs.

jackal-E.pof is the model used for the UEF Kentauroi. As Cyborg17 says, you need Blue Planet installed.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

The old blueplanet mod is installed. Or do you mean the latest release? Will try 3.7.2 and report back

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
The old blueplanet mod is installed.
If you have the "old BP mod", you should be able to use the unmodified version of The Aftermath, no...?

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

No, it doesn’t work with the unmodified one. But this one with the new version seems to work with 3.7.1. Will come back in any case

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
This thing rivals Derelict and Shadow Genesis in terms of length, and while it's quite obvious that this is someone's first try at making a campaign, amount of work he put into this is outstanding. I'm wondering what happened with original author. I remember when he posted this on Sectorgame. With proper support from more experianced modders, this mod might end as a not bad thing. Something is wrong with weapon sounds. I don't have most of them. If someone wish to work on upgrading this mod, he should check the sounds.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Cyborg17

I may or may not have played through it with sound muted.... >.>

Offline CT27

I was able to hear most weapons except for the Rapier gun.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I had problems with Rapier and some primaries. AFAIK even Prometheus does not have sound and sound of the Kayser was different. In case of Kayser I'm not sure, maybe the author changed the sound himself. In case of rest of the muted weapons, this should be fixed.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline CT27

Out of curiosity, was the original producer of this campaign (Herkie) ever on this site or did he only stay on sectorgames?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I've never seen him here. He probably stopped posting on Sectorgame too.

@Knarfe, have you tried the sensor range button?  Is your sensor range set to zero?  Do they display on other mods?

No, it´s set to inifnite. Friendly ships are shown.

Offline CT27

This thing rivals Derelict and Shadow Genesis in terms of length, and while it's quite obvious that this is someone's first try at making a campaign, amount of work he put into this is outstanding. I'm wondering what happened with original author. I remember when he posted this on Sectorgame. With proper support from more experianced modders, this mod might end as a not bad thing. Something is wrong with weapon sounds. I don't have most of them. If someone wish to work on upgrading this mod, he should check the sounds.

I wouldn't classify this "bad" (just my opinion, no offense), but I would admit there's certainly room for improvement.  I've played "bad" campaigns before; for all it's flaws (and again, I'm not saying "The Aftermath" doesn't have flaws), but when I completed "The Aftermath" I kind of thought to myself, "Hm, that was kind of fun."  Sorry for my rambling. :)

As far as audio, I honestly didn't notice the Kayser sounded any different than other campaigns.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 01:15:26 pm by CT27 »

Offline Cyborg17

No, it´s set to inifnite. Friendly ships are shown.

This is a very odd bug.  Did you try just one mission?  If so, can you try another one to confirm the bug is not mission-specific?

Are enemy ships appearing in other mods, especially mods with similar dependencies?  (like blue planet)

Btw, after thinking things over, I think I may have jumped the gun on switching over to MVP 2014 since BP hasn't switched over yet.  Betrayal, in your case, could you try switching over to MediaVPS3612 in your mod ini?  If that doesn't work can you post your FSO log?

Offline CT27

By the way:

Congrats Cyborg17 on making it into this month's HLP newsletter by Axem for your work on getting "The Aftermath" re-released.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I think I may have jumped the gun on switching over to MVP 2014 since BP hasn't switched over yet.
It most certainly has.

secondarylist = blueplanet,mediavps_2014;

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so