Author Topic: This is a ton of fun  (Read 2771 times)

Offline Darius

Saw this mod being showcased on my youtube feed, and was impressed enough to give it a go (how did I miss this after all this time).

I must say you've really done well in not only capturing the freespace feel but also managed to make a fun game experience (too many homeworld mods tend to skimp on gameplay value).

AI was pretty decent as well, and I note you're putting effort towards fixing the AI's production ship/warship disconnect in future patches. Good luck with that!

Now all we need is some way to combine Matth's BP Homeworld 2 mod with this!

Offline tempest6677

Thanks! That's great to hear! I'm glad you liked it.

Gameplay and feel is a huge focus. Right now we're finishing up with version 3.3- it's the version shown in the videos. It adds things like dynamic music (which I think is a first for HW2 modding) subspace recharge, an improved and cleaned research tree, and making things like capturing mechanics more stable. Making a clean, good looking UI has also been a focus. Orions and Hecates even have randomized nameplates, which is something I think is super cool. The balance and development guys have helped me out a ton identifying issues with how things work. The AI will currently behave more or less properly in the current version of the game, but I'm not sure how to squeeze much more effectiveness out of it.

I actually looked at the BP homeworld mod quite a bit- it's got a lot of quality models and really nailed the aesthetics...there's definitely some stuff in there that I'm not sure how he did it! Unfortunately, I can't really think of a way to mesh the earthers in with the way FSFC is currently set up. Right now the game relies on the fact that Terrans, Vasudans, and Shivans are all around in the different eras, so I don't have to do anything weird with scripting the starting fleets. It's probably doable, but I'm not sure if I could commit to that kind of overhaul.