Author Topic: Shadow Genesis crash  (Read 4773 times)

Offline MC_Kejml

• Drinks Kool-aid
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone experiences the same crash and maybe found a solution.

In the mission where you are going to KY Cygni with the Meleander, there is a cutscene-y mission where you talk with some other guy. The "Cutscene" begins with the large display of jump nodes, as you are moving  from Delta Majoris to KY Cygni. When the screen fades to black at the end, the game crashes.

The version I am using is:
3.7.3 82ae54a SSE;
flags used are
 -mod ShadowGenesis,MediaVPs_2014 -missile_lighting -3dshockwave -post_process -soft_particles -fxaa -fb_explosions
-enable_shadows -dualscanlines -no_glsl -disable_glsl_model -ambient_factor 75 -spec_exp 11 -spec_point 0.6
-spec_static 0.8 -spec_tube 0.4 -ogl_spec 60
and I run this on a AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor / AMD Radeon 7700.

Otherwise, the mod is GOOD. Character development, BoEs, new fighters and cruisers, a sequel to the FS2 we all know - Great work guys. I am really having a great time.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I'm glad you like it :). The best part of campaign is waiting for you, when your problem is solved.

We never tested SG with MVP 2014, so this may be a problem but I doubt so. Some people played SG with MVP 2014 with no problems. Keep in mind that you may find missing textures, as many old tile textures were removed from MVP 2014. Proper remake and extension is in WiP stage. Rerelease called Shadow Genesis: Reborn will be fully compatible with MediaVPs 2014.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline MC_Kejml

• Drinks Kool-aid
Alright, here goes the log.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline MC_Kejml

• Drinks Kool-aid
Hm. It appears I "circumvented" the error by using a 3 7 2 build, but now at the mission before "Devil's plain", gamma and epsilon wings self destruct and the mission is a looot harder. Huh.

Install patch for SG. Dunno if it helps but still...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Install patch for SG. Dunno if it helps but still...
OMG, how I could be that stupid :P.

1.1a is actually rebalancing a lot of crap in 1.0 release, fix numerous errors... And has one very pretty bomber! You can find it in release thread.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

I'm getting the bug as well.  The patch didn't seem to have ab effect.  It;s during the cutscene after the jump node map, after the first line of text.   I have tried it with the 3.7.2 and 3.7.3 builds and it does the same thing- Freespace open crashes.  Love the mod though, very impressive! Here is my debug log:

Code: [Select]
Assert: max_size > header_offset
File: cfile.cpp
Line: 1728
max_size (0) > header_offset in packfile D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Freespace 2\mediavps_3612\MV_RadarIcons.vp

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 12 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! SCP_DumpStack + 354 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! WinAssert + 288 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! cf_chksum_pack + 325 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! cf_build_pack_list + 1019 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! cf_build_root_list + 513 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! cf_build_secondary_filelist + 158 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! cfile_init + 398 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! game_init + 373 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! game_main + 519 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! WinMain + 330 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! __tmainCRTStartup + 358 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! WinMainCRTStartup + 15 bytes
KERNEL32.DLL! BaseThreadInitThunk + 36 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlUnicodeStringToInteger + 595 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlUnicodeStringToInteger + 542 bytes
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 03:01:04 pm by rackemrack »

No, debug log is a file named fs2_open.log located, in your case, in D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Freespace 2\data\
Anyway MV_RadarIcons.vp is broken. Redownload file through installer or get it manually from this topic. Then try again to get debug log of that crash.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
And SG is not supporting radar icons. I never tested it with radar icons, but I was thinking that it would work without problems. I quess it's not :P. Delete the file.

I promise I will make radar icons support in SG: Reborn.

Gotcha.  Here is the log file.  Thanks again.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Meh, I see nothing but bunch of old, crappy models. And the game reads things that it should not read, like particles for artillery cannons.

Did you delete radar icons?

He deleted it, it's in the log.
Anyway I was able to reproduce crash. Recent nightly is more informative:

ASSERTION: "pss->triggered_rotation_index >= 0" at modelanim.cpp:849
 Unable to find triggered rotation for ship Nirvana.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Hmmm... I never encounted anything like this before. Are you using any external shaders or something like this?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Hmmm... I never encounted anything like this before. Are you using any external shaders or something like this?
Game Settings Table: External shaders are DISABLED
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Is there any way to just simply skip this animation/mission so that I can keep going with the campaign?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
In current situation, the only way is to try older builds or playing missions directly from techroom. Use Ctrl+Shift+S in mission simulator.

Sorry for problems. SG is pretty old, and currently with no time and resources I have no way to update it or do anything else. I will try to reproduce the error myself when I get my PC back.

Seems missing turret13 in model for Nirvana.

@rackemrack
Put attached file into Freespace 2\Shadow Genesis 1.1\data\tables (create folders if they don't exist)
For me it fixed crash in that cutscene.

Woo hoo, yes that fixed it!  Thanks so much.  I was chomping at the bit to continue this mod.

Thanks again!

Ok, getting another crash towards what I assume is the end of the campaign.  When playing in normal mode (not debug), it crashes as soon as the Merdalion(sp) armada is jumping in, after Nibelheim installation is destroyed.  Here is the log file.  This campaign has been absolutely amazing, by the way.  Can't wait to see how it ends.