Author Topic: Hosting Request - Frontlines  (Read 3973 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Hosting Request - Frontlines
OK, so mostly I think people know I've restarted work on my Frontlines project - the thread with progress is here. I've reached a point where I'd really like to start getting some beta testers to give me feedback on the missions I've completed so far, and I think that the easiest way to do that would be a private forum.

I know that typically projects need to show a degree of completion before they can be accepted for hosting. All I can really point to publicly are the released models (Mars and Ramses) which were developed for the mod. However, I'm more than happy to supply any skeptical admins (and it'd probably be fair to be skeptical, really, given my history :p ) with the missions that have been completed so far.

At present, I have 4 missions completed (pending beta testing), and I'm probably about an hour's worth of FREDding off bringing a fifth to that state five missions completed. Several more are in various states of completion for a campaign that will only have 7 to 10 missions total when released. For the record, the larger number is fairly unlikely, and would require me to complete two more assets (this tug and a large Vasudan station) before release, and so will likely get shifted to another campaign. Including the in-game cutscene mission that mjn.mixael has agreed to make, I'm expecting the campaign will probably have 9 missions.

For now, I'm not really too fussed about a website, as I have no HTML skills whatsoever, and I have my stuff on the wiki that just needs an update when I have a spare few hours. All I really need is a private forum to talk with beta testers about the missions and assets. If necessary, I can go off site for that, but it would be more convenient to have it here, since anyone who volunteers to beta test will probably already be registered here. As for badges, public forums, that sort of thing, well, it'd be nice, but I'm not too worried in all honesty.

Happy to give any more details for anyone who needs them or is curious.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:55:43 pm by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Hosting Request - Frontlines
That could probably be arranged.  We've done the same thing (i.e. just a private forum) a few times in the past.

But I'm more interested in whether this has the potential to affect TI. :p

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
In what way?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 10:51:16 pm by Black Wolf »
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Whether work on Frontlines will delay a TI release, due to competition for your attention.  FREDding or model work, for example.

But I'm hardly in a position to frown on anybody balancing multiple projects at one time, aren't I? :nervous:

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I suppose it's possible, but the truth is that I tend to work obsessively on whatever piques my interest at any given moment. For the last couple of months, it's been this. Soon, it will be TI again, and then this will get left alone for a little while. I'm trying to get it out before that happens. :p
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I got a private forum for Luyten Civil War, and it did split my attention from FotG and Scroll. Concentrating on that one project wasn't a criterion then.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
And I'm not saying that it's a criterion now.  I'm just giving BW a hard time because I'm impatient to see TI Act 1 released. :)

I should be able to set up the forum by this evening, assuming nobody else does it before then.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Thanks Goob, I really appreciate it.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
K, board and membergroup added.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
"Tentatively hosted" - I love it. :lol:

Thanks Goob.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
:yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Progress has been rapid over the last month or so, and I'm anticipating a release in the first half of May (very likely the 9th, but that's not official yet by any stretch - there are a few small elements that may hold us up, but if they look like pushing us beyond, say, the end of May we'll release without them). You're welcome to check out the mission status thread on internal to confirm our progress levels - skepticism would not be outrageous in FS modding after all. :)

Can I safely assume that we will be moving to full hosted status when we release? If so, I'd appreciate the opportunity to get a public forum established a few days before release - would give me a chance to post a few polls I want to see, as well as give people time to get the inevitable "First!" and "Welcome" threads out of their systems before we start dealing with the (equally inevitable) bug reports and reviews. :)
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I think that's a pretty safe bet. :)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
So, Goob, can we pull the trigger on this? If you want to, check out our Mission Status thread to see where we're at. Of the missions not marked complete, I'm pretty confident that M6 is finished, just needs to be tested, M11 is 20 minutes of work. M9 is the only one that might delay us past our release date, but I really, really don't think that's likely - if me and Lepanto can't knock something up before I head back to Perth on Tuesday, then I still have three dedicated Freespace days (the 7th, 8th and 9th) to finish up the last few details, including whatever might be left of the cutscene mission - at this point, I can't see any reason why we'd miss our May 9th release date.

The only thing that might conceivably hold us up would be mjn's CBAnims, but I'm happy to release without them and upload them later as a patch if that's what it comes to to make the deadline.

I've attached a badge option - it's not very good, but I'm kinda ambivalent about project badges anyway - it's mostly to please the rest of the team. :p

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Even if it misses the release date I'd love to see a subforum up so people can get excited and know that something big's coming.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Cool cool cool.  I'll set this up when I get home.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Even if it misses the release date I'd love to see a subforum up so people can get excited and know that something big's coming.

Well, something medium sized, for now - 9 missions in themain campaign, plus a cutscene mission, and a three mission training campaign. I was deliberately aiming at a project of limited scope, so that the release wouldn't be drawn out for ages and ages - as it stands, it'll be just under a year between starting this particular iteration (2334) and release.

It'll scale up as we (hopefully) release further minicampaigns.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't think quality is particularly related to size, and quality is the impression you've given.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Board added, with a placeholder description until I get something from Black Wolf. :p

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Thanks Goob. I'll come up with something suitably clever for the description tomorrow - one thing though - could the name be changed from "Frontlines 2334" to just "Frontlines"? We're hoping that 2334 will just be the first minicampaign in a project that will ultimately include campaigns from other eras, so it will eventually be out of date anyway.
Rarely Updated P3D.