Author Topic: 20040405 test build - Win32 build of Linux tree, OGL fixes, preloads  (Read 13745 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
20040405 test build - Win32 build of Linux tree, OGL fixes, preloads
I haven't tried your suggestions (yet), but I've found that Unreal Tournament also seems to run OpenGL at the same refresh rate as FS2. I also had to force it to use it by showing all graphics APIs, rather than just the ones it thinks my card can handle.

So it may just be a system-specific issue. Yes, I do have the latest nVidia drivers. ;)
-C

http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/fsdoc/index.php/media%20VP

PLEASE KEEP THIS UPDATED.

really, please do, it is hell to write a guide without a single, reliable listing not somewhere halfway down a page in some thread.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline WMCoolmon

Updated.

Incidentally, how do you set a password? (Or can you?)
-C

ok, herre is how you log into the wiki.

you select a new username, a WikiWord, a word wich has at least2 caps, neither at the end. You input a random password, you only need to remember it. there, you're done, and you have your own login.

now, if you mean password protect a certain page from unauthorized editing, talk to Sanwich.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline WMCoolmon

No, I signed in with no password the first time. I couldn't find any way to make that a password. Is there a way?

Back to the build, I found that disabling -jpgtga got rid of the sun problem. -novbo didn't help the crash-on-warpout problem though. :sigh:
-C

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I think the targas look better, and they arent too big, so its all good.  Did wonders for the herc 2, just in making it look sharper and cleaner, instead of all blurry and sloppy.  All the capships that use that basic lights texture look better now, cleaner, and hi-resified.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You don't need a password on the Wiki unless you want to do admin stuff.

Offline redmenace

Originally posted by Turambar
Is it bad that I'm doing my hi-res textures in .tga format?

I am not sure if DDS has a alpha channel but you might want to consider using DDS for memory concerns. bigger downloads but more efficient.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

The only reason why you wouldn't want to use .dds is if there a smooth gradients in your textures.

Otherwise DXT5 should handle it just fine (it has an alpha channel in case you're wondering).

So be sure to check after compression if it's acceptable.

Offline Arc

Originally posted by WMCoolmon
It looks like it's about 60 hz. This is based on eyeballing a comparison b/t a screenshot of the main hall in FS2 and in Windows at 60, 70, 72, 75, and 85 hz.

Sorry if you already know this, but 2k/XP won't display OpenGL games at above 60Hz unless you force it to (I assume just when fullscreen - I don't play windowed). Something to do with MS removing the "Optimal" setting for the refresh rate, and it defaults to the lowest specified rate - 60Hz.

I use RefreshForce to do it:
http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/

With regard to the 4000+mb memory usage, um, this is just pure speculation, but perhaps the extra MB above your system capacity is actually virtual memory on your hard drives? I wouldn't rule out the possibility that FSO could be using over a gig on my virtual memory swap file...

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Over a gig is certainly plausible (note the size of the FS2 root dir if you had a full install), but 4GB+? Something's not right there. :nervous:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Okay, maybe not the sum total memory FS2 is using, but *MAYBE* its actually reporting all the memory in the system plus the total sum size of the virtual memory swapfile, whether that swapfile is being used by FS2 or not...i mean, swapfiles are often larger than 3GB, especially if you have a "static" (unchanging) swapfile customized in your System Properties...and even if you don't...it can be rather huge anyways.

I'm out of ideas...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 03:39:26 pm by 1644 »

I get that sometimes too.  And I KNOW I don't have 4GB of virtual memory (page file + real memory).

Offline WMCoolmon

FS2 should not, with today's technology, be taking up 4GB of space, unless you are utterly insane and
Originally posted by TopAce in another thread
Make a 65536x65536 subspace texture, remove the HTL flag and try to destroy the Lucifer. ;)

Including swapfiles. Especially swapfiles, because it means that accessing them would only be slightly faster than grabbing the data from a file.
-C