Author Topic: 20041007 build - *includes pilot file changes*  (Read 5233 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
20041007 build - *includes pilot file changes*
It took a bit longer to get this sucker ready than I had originally hoped but it's here now.  I'm not including a new IBX VP, just grab the one from the other thread or let the game generate it's own or use what you've already got.

http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/willrobinson/20041007-win32.zip

No new warnings, just remember to save your pilots and crap like that.  No format changes so all existing files will work the same but here is the general rundown of changes new to this build:

- Current CVS (includes the missing graphics fix)

- Make D3D look right when run in a window at 640x480

- Final IBX code with some error checking.  It should now handle partially generated files without crashing.  It will try and read as much as possible from the file and then delete it so it can be properly generated again on the next load.  I cleaned this up a lot and still kept it pretty simple.  Nothing fancy, just the right amount to get the job done.  For code that nobody but me was going to get to use I think this turned out pretty well.

- Reworked the talking head memory leak fix.  It won't reference anything out of the anim now and just sends it through anim_free() until it's done, has a problem or tries to free more than 25 times (to avoid an endless loop).  Hopefully this means that it won't crash on "A Game of TAG" and "Enter the Dragon" but we'll see.  At the very least absolutely every bit of this code will be skipped if you have the talking head HUD box turned off.  If it still crashes even with the box turned off then it's crashing somewhere else.

- Include some updated OpenGL rendering code.  This will only send the data to the card that's actually going to be used.  It will also keep all of that data in a single array rather than 3 which should be a bit more efficient.

- Try and prevent the situations where the game would try and load a mission from a campaign file that's not available.  This will happen when you use a mod and it's campaign and then don't use the mod but still have the campaign selected.  Usually it will crash in this case but now it will try and load the campaign savefile, know that the actual campaign isn't available and treat it that way.  As part of this there will now be a popup dialog telling you that the campaign is unavailable when you try to enter the ready room.  Before you would click and it would do nothing.

- Try to fix a situation where some stats and the techroom data would get carried over if you switch the active campaign.  Previously it was relying on the old pilot code to reset entries but that isn't good enough with the new code.  To try and prevent data loss it will clear the current info immediately before loading the new/saved information.  This should be the last bug in the pilot code as far as I can find.

- Since OpenGL line drawing is fixed this has the old way of rendering the jump nodes (as pure lines).  This has been tested to work with the current POF as well as the original in both OGL and D3D.  I haven't really tested for speed changes but it doesn't appear to have any slow down when the jumpnode is in view and when it's not.

Report any bugs.  Depending on how many people seem to test this and how many new problems are found I'll start getting all of this committed to CVS this weekend so that all builds will have the new IBX and pilot code.

Cool!

*downloads

Thanks, Taylor!

Something I noticed...in some campaigns my pilot will have 2232 kills, while in others i'll have 2361 kills.

How does that work? :wtf:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 10:51:50 am by 1278 »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Blitzerland
Something I noticed...in some campaigns my pilot will have 2232 kills, while in others i'll have 2361 kills.

Kill counts are kept in the campaign savefile so when you switch campaigns the kill counts change too.  That was done because the stats block is dependant on the ships table and will therefore change when using a different mod.  It wouldn't be difficult to add a lifetime stats to the pilot file though, it would just not include per ship counts.  I don't have a plan to add this on a whim but if the idea is popular I can code in the stats and interface changes at any point.

Note also that one of the pilot file bugs allowed some stats, in some cases, to carry over between campaigns when you switched them in game.  This would mainly happen when you start a campaign for the first time.  In that case it would end up carrying over all of the stats from the campaign you'd been playing into the new campaign.  In another case it could carry over some per ship kills.  I figured that out after I noticed 12 kills for the Knossos after playing FSPort for a while ;)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I just tested this build and noticed something weird.  When I jump out, the warp vortex is 75% missing.  Only 90 degrees of the vortex on the right side is visible.  Now, this was my first time trying out -2d_nebulapoof so it may have something to do with that.  I also noticed a command line flag for TBP warp effects.  Perhaps in implimenting this, something with normal got screwed.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
*Deeply hopes this build will work this time.*
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Trivial Psychic:  I know it means you can't use the same pilots but try the build Kazan posted yesterday.  If it happens there then it's deffinitely something in CVS that we'll have to look for.  If not then it's this build and something I have to look for. ;)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Are there any improvement about framerate and loading time ??
For Loading Time, i mean the time a mission have to loads before reach the briefing.

Because since some days, Freespace 2 or others mods takes very long moment to load a mission. So, i don't imagine the result on Fs2 online.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
That's the IBX model code; it actually takes a lot less time on average to load in a model, but if the model isn't converted yet (or if the pof's been changed) then it takes forever.  If multi worries you, make sure you load all ships in to a mission at least once before you play online.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I just noticed this new build.  Can you shed any light on this build?  By its filename, it would seem to be one of yours, possibly with the colaboration of Lightspeed.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
I just noticed this new build.  Can you shed any light on this build?  By its filename, it would seem to be one of yours, possibly with the colaboration of Lightspeed.

Yeah, it's to test some graphics stuff with the new EFF format and a small change to the particle code.  It should also have working animated beam textures but that's not really tested.  Other than that it's the same as the last PCX thread build.

All of the new pilot code is in CVS now which is why I put it in the "testing" directory.  Anything that's in the "willrobinson" directory can be considered experimental or possibly damaging (ie. the pilot test builds).  Just for future reference, when you go looking.  Oh and don't touch "that_player" as it's a horrible, horrible virus that could destroy the world!!  Deleting it from a public directory is number 152 on my todo list so I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
All of the LSD builds might be a risk to your health :D

It's pretty buggy so far, but since taylor rocks (which he has proven over and over again) I'm sure the problems will be sorted out soon enough :yes: :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I guess I should point out for those who don't visit SectorGame that the new SCP builds include a whole bunch of new SEXPs etc that Goober added this last month.

Especially of interest to FREDers will be the new conditionals which (among other things) allow you to make a list ships and then have a sexp trigger when all, any or random amount of them come true.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yep - I should have a build up tomorrow. :)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by Goober5000
Yep - I should have a build up tomorrow. :)

Will this address the "issues" I was reporting?

*waits with baited breath*
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions