Author Topic: 3.6.9 Release Candidate 8 - "The Countdown..."  (Read 18158 times)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: 3.6.9 Release Candidate 8 - "The Countdown..."
Somehow the build managed to affect desktop gamma settings, everything changed to a darker tone after playing the game... if I remember right, I changed the gamma slightly in F2, then quit with Shift+Esc and I don't know why or how, but the gamma setting stayed behind. The colours reverted back to normal after restarting the machine...

I'm on my parents' PC, which has an ATi Radeon 9200 SE with original drivers [sic, don't blame me on that], Windows XP SP2, AMD64 3000+ XP, 512 MB DDR-SDRAM. Was using the MediaVP 3.6.8 zeta without Advanced effects... Even withhout them, this poor thing can only run the game at 30 fps max, facing empty space. :rolleyes:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Dysko

Somehow the build managed to affect desktop gamma settings, everything changed to a darker tone after playing the game... if I remember right, I changed the gamma slightly in F2, then quit with Shift+Esc and I don't know why or how, but the gamma setting stayed behind. The colours reverted back to normal after restarting the machine...

I'm on my parents' PC, which has an ATi Radeon 9200 SE with original drivers [sic, don't blame me on that], Windows XP SP2, AMD64 3000+ XP, 512 MB DDR-SDRAM. Was using the MediaVP 3.6.8 zeta without Advanced effects... Even withhout them, this poor thing can only run the game at 30 fps max, facing empty space. :rolleyes:
I had a similar problem also with the previous build: if I didn't shut down the game correctly, everything was brighter. I resolved the problem re-running FS2 and re-closing it.

I know, it's a stupid method... :nervous:
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Which drivers are you using? I was using the Omega drivers, but was getting ATIogl crashes. I just switched to the Ngo drivers. They are current, and come with advanced tray tools which expose some amazing features I've never seen before. I'm not crashing anymore, but my fingers are crossed.

I am using 6.12 without the CCC. I don't get any actual crashes when alt-tabbing, but I have to open a new interface window blindly in order to make things show up again, and there is often a long delay before it gets back into the game. It takes less time and effort to just exit out of the game and get back in instead of going through that. :p

I had a similar problem also with the previous build: if I didn't shut down the game correctly, everything was brighter. I resolved the problem re-running FS2 and re-closing it.

I used to do exactly the same thing. :D

This build doesn't have the brightness bug on my end though.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I have it.

The campaign list still has that bug...
The screen flip thing, or the have-to-kill-it-to-get-out thing?  The screen flip thing will just have to wait.  The only time that I've actually had it fixed a bunch of ATI users reported that they would only get a single color instead of a background, so I had to break it again for them.

Is there an ETA for the release of 3.7? As you know we are interested on the unlimited Species tbl...
"Many years from now...", as a best guess. ;)

There is an awful lot of new features slated for 3.7, and a tremendous amount of code is going to get added, removed, or completely rewritten.  It will be ready when it's ready, but it's far too early to give any sort of real guess as to when that might be.

I have opened FRED RC8. The ships names font colour is different...now it's dark.
I placed a Mjolnir a few dozen metres away from the player, and both the camera coords and the coords of the Mjolnir displayed near its name became white and not readable. Though now it's ok, I want to know if this problem is serious or not.
Hmm, might be related to the secondary color fix I had made.  I double check on that, it would be an easy thing to fix if that was the cause.

The game does have to exit properly in order to be able to reset the gamma.  As Darth DySkO mentioned, you should be able to fix it just by running the game again and then exiting.  Another option is to juse run with the -no_set_gamma option to disable gamma setting at all.  Perhaps not the best option if you actually need to use the gamma setting, but it should beat having to restart your machine when the gamma doesn't get reset properly.

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but in the mission after Bearbaiting, High Noon, sometimes I don't receive orders to jump out. This happened in the previous build as well.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Sorry if this is the wrong place, but in the mission after Bearbaiting, High Noon, sometimes I don't receive orders to jump out. This happened in the previous build as well.

That's not related to the build I don't think... did you try destroying both wings of Basilisks?

That's not related to the build I don't think... did you try destroying both wings of Basilisks?
Ahh, that could be it, I was concentrating on killing the big ship, not the fighters, but all my objectives were completed anyway.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Do you get the following message?

"Well done, secure the area and our work here will finished."

If so are you sure you've wiped out all of Cancer wing?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I am having issues with rc8.  whenever i start a mission, the game keeps pausing on me.  everytime i press escape the game immediately pauses again.  if i alt tab to finder and then go back to freespace, it seems to fix the issue and i can unpause the game, but i don't know why.  this happened with rc7 too, but alt tabbing out didn't fix it in that build.

Offline Dysko

:nervous:
Please, don't kill me:
I don't know why, but now RC8 seems to work perfectly :wtf:
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Kaine

bar a few table errors in debug mode, and a strange crash in weapon config screen that i've been unable to replicate, this RC is a winner.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Tried out the debug on OGL fullscreen using a mod with missing textures (on purpose, I don't use nameplates and I don't know how to make blanks to cover them up :P).

1024x768 for the game, 1280x1024 for desktop. Chose a ship with the missing texture and I get sent to the desktop. I clear the error and try to go back in, but I end up seeing Windows in the game resolution. ALT-TAB a few times and I get back in, but everything just jerks. One jerk, the ship (in Techroom) is facing you, on the next jerk after roughly 2-3 seconds, it's facing left and so on.

I do feel that somewhere along the line (not just this build), Alt-Tab got worse, but I don't think it's a driver problem because I didn't see any changes caused by drivers to my PCI 5700LE for a long while now (new drivers work on my old card, but the changes now affect only the newer cards e.g. 6-series and above). Unless they added something without documenting... :blah:

Otherwise the build is all good and dandy on my end.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
debug build causes a CTD right after mission is loaded.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
With no errors?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Another strange thing happened with FRED Open:

Yesterday I could move a chosen ship with the numpad and A,Z,-,+ ecc. today I move and rotate only the camera,as usual.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Do you get the following message?

"Well done, secure the area and our work here will finished."

If so are you sure you've wiped out all of Cancer wing?

I THINK I heard the "Well done" message, and Cancer wing was destroyed.

Someone should probably move this since it's OT.

BTW, I did find a small thing the other day, the mission was Exodus, and in the briefing there is a line that is read twice, the one that goes "We need to deploy your..."

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Which mission?

The CTD is actually an Int3(), but without the fs2_open.log it's impossible to tell where it came from.  I get these quite a bit in Prologue though, due to sexp issues (which are mostly just hitting on code which isn't properly updated to handle what you guys are doing), but there isn't anything we can do about that until after 3.6.9 since it would require an extra month or two of build testing before we're sure no AI was broken.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Another strange thing happened with FRED Open:

Yesterday I could move a chosen ship with the numpad and A,Z,-,+ ecc. today I move and rotate only the camera,as usual.

You probably pressed the "T" key by accident.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Which mission?

The CTD is actually an Int3(), but without the fs2_open.log it's impossible to tell where it came from.  I get these quite a bit in Prologue though, due to sexp issues (which are mostly just hitting on code which isn't properly updated to handle what you guys are doing), but there isn't anything we can do about that until after 3.6.9 since it would require an extra month or two of build testing before we're sure no AI was broken.

Can't tell for sure now. I believe the 5th mission. But: older debug builds (hoopla for instance) work.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
You probably pressed the "T" key by accident.

Yeah. I have completely ignored that function...until now.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]