Author Topic: Cockpits redux (Stable branch)  (Read 24921 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Re: Cockpits redux (Stable branch)
I just went back and tested this with the TerranCockpit, and it seems to work with a Myrmidon, can anyone give me a specific combination of model, ship, and table entry that does not work for them? (Preferably with retail, but if it requires a mod, that's fine as well)
-C

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I put the tbm into data\tables, vp into FS2 root folder and now the feature works as it should!
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline WMCoolmon

Alright, unless anybody has any more bugs to report, I'm going to consider this fixed, then.
-C

Why is my cockpit showing up as transparent? I checked the orignal texture and i didn't use alpha channels.

It's only the cockpit and not the hull.

And I'm still getting that studdering, but no only in-game, but also in F3 tech view and in the load out screens.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline WMCoolmon

The stuttering is most likely because this build is based on the stable branch, not taylor's Xt builds.

Can you send me a copy of the cockpit and mission (whatever I need to replicate the effect from retail or retail+mediaVPs)?
-C

I can give you the basics here, it should be hopefully enough to present the issue at hand (the window frame will be missing).  I think you'll get the necessary table entries from Saga's prologue *crosses fingers*  (If you absolutely need everything then here: http://scoobydoo.freespacemods.net/Finished_Mods/Additional-12-25-07.rar )

The mission is pretty generic

http://scoobydoo.freespacemods.net/Problems/transparent.rar

Edit: for the lagging, I believe you are correct there. The stable builds I don't think ever been lag-free.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 12:48:58 am by Scooby_Doo »

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
I think I managed to replicate your error, albeit, a tad differently. While I wasn't able to replicate the nebula's appearing in the cockpit, I discovered that if you fly close enough to an object, the object will actually clip through the cockpit. I first tried it out in WC Saga and and then tried it out in vanilla FS2.

I've posted videos of the bug here:
FS2 bug at 0:06 and 0:22
WCS bug at 0:23 and 0:38

It's also a nice demonstration of the new slewing and TrackIR features we have in the pipeline. It works really well with the cockpits BTW. ;)

My hunch is that it's a z-ordering problem coupled with the fact that ships don't actually have to collide with the cockpit model. I honestly don't really know until I actually take a look at the code.

EDIT: After taking a look at the screenshot you posted, I think the bug I posted is much more different than I thought. I thought it was just the 2D bitmaps being drawn over the 3D stuff but after looking at the ghostly pilot in your screenie, it's definitely involving opacity.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 06:31:50 am by Swifty »

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Now all we need is the ability to map HUD elements onto the cockpit model. Is this doable in the not so distant future? ;)

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I think that's something the Render to Texture stuff in the scripting area is working on.  Regardless, I'd hope that we have an easy way to switch between cockpit models and standard HUD in mission, via a keypress or something like most other flight sims.  I just never want to see cockpits forced on the user, you know?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Speaking of which- are there plans to add a toggle to the launcher for that? The Erinyes leaves little room for "peripheral" vision. ;)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Swifty

I think that's something the Render to Texture stuff in the scripting area is working on.  Regardless, I'd hope that we have an easy way to switch between cockpit models and standard HUD in mission, via a keypress or something like most other flight sims.  I just never want to see cockpits forced on the user, you know?
I guess the best way is to add another toggleable command flag to Viewer_mode indicating cockpit mode or floating head doctor mode. In this case, if the mod has defined gauges and instruments in the panels of the cockpit and disabled all or a subset of the HUD gauges, the modder will still have to take into account that the traditional floaty HUD layout will be rendered at the player's discretion. Maybe we can add a flag to ships.tbl indicating which views that the modder can allow.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 07:16:37 pm by Swifty »

Strange how it looks good for yours. Could this be a driver issue?  As for the ships appearing inside your cockpit, I believe that already occurs with the in-mesh cockpits.

Offline Swifty

Strange how it looks good for yours. Could this be a driver issue?  As for the ships appearing inside your cockpit, I believe that already occurs with the in-mesh cockpits.
Well, I did fix the muzzleflash bug seen in the Viper MkII video in my build. It's not committed into SVN yet. Try your cockpit with it and see if the problem is fixed. Make sure you make a backup copy of your pilot.

http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~chos/fs2_open_3_6_9.zip

BTW, slewing works differently now. Instead of holding down Free Look View (Pad0) and using the flight controls to look around, you'll have to assign keys to the new free look commands in the Misc tab of the Configuration screen.

Nope it still does it.... should I post the cob file?

Offline Swifty

Before you do, try out some of the other cockpits in this thread like Vasudan Admiral's and see if you get the same problem. Does the transparent cockpit problem persist only in WC Saga? Does it appear in different missions?

A Ha found the cause, well at least fixed it.  I had to rebuild the two DDS files.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I guess the best way is to add another toggleable command flag to Viewer_mode indicating cockpit mode or floating head doctor mode. In this case, if the mod has defined gauges and instruments in the panels of the cockpit and disabled all or a subset of the HUD gauges, the modder will still have to take into account that the traditional floaty HUD layout will be rendered at the player's discretion. Maybe we can add a flag to ships.tbl indicating which views that the modder can allow.

We'll probably need a new packet for multiplayer to sync up the players to the host as there would otherwise be an enormous advantage for those who switch off their cockpits.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well, some flight sims offer the ability to lock cockpits forced on, to be more simlike, but games like the old Star Wars series just let you switch out if you wanted to, no penalty or anything.  Except then, I think you actually lost some instrumentation, but nothing that really mattered in the heat of the battle anyway.  We could enable something like forced cockpits, but I would say just let everyone turn their cockpits off if they want, I would probably not want the cockpit on except for eyecandy or showing it off anyway, or possibly for an immersion factor in a campaign.  But in multi I usually want every edge I can get, lowered detail for higher framerate, no cockpit rendering, etc.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, we would rather prefer to enforce cockpit usage than to use standard FS2 hud. Ever heard the word 'immersion'? :)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ok, I suppose for a mod that would make sense, I just don't think I ever want to see FSO matches where it's required.  And usually immersion is left up to the player, unless it's a really hardcore flight sim, like IL-2 or something.  And even then the server can control whether or not it's up to the player.  Like I said, I like immersion for campaigns and all but not really for multi, it's all about being competitive usually.