Author Topic: C08062008 - Debris After Tomorrow  (Read 12713 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
C08062008 - Debris After Tomorrow
Updates:
  • Fixed bug involving too many goals being assigned to a ship from wing orders
  • Fixed bug with debris textures from last build
  • Fixed cutscene bars and fade-in, fade-out SEXPs
  • Reimplemented debris lifetime and speed controls

New ships.tbl fields:
$Impact Spew:
$Debris:
   +Min Lifetime: 600.0
   +Max Lifetime: 1000.0
   +Min Speed: 0.0
   +Max Speed: 0.0
   +Min Rotation Speed: 0.0
   +Max Rotation Speed: 0.0

Screenshots:
Lucifer vs. Orion
Within the Orion
Lucifer's Lair
Wreckage

Link:
C08062008
-C

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Re: C08062008 - Debris After Tomorrow
Wooo! Good debris again! :D And hey that's an interesting way of creating hulks you have there.
Also, what are the default values these new settings go to if not defined, and what units are they in? It'd help to have a frame of reference for when making changes here. :)

Good stuff indeed.  :yes:
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Shade

Nice. I sense great potential in these debris changes :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yes, I particularly like the hulks.  One area I'm seeing that could use improvement these days, though, is the texture that gets slapped over the previously unseen areas of a debris chunk, that makes it look more like an asteroid instead of the guts of a ship.  As everything else gets prettier, those are really starting to look out of place.  Has anyone thought about redoing that texture to look more like severed decks within a ships hull?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Topgun

Doh! again!  I need to play the builds before you release them!

:yes:

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Again, that's kind of confusing.  Do you mean you need to play his previous builds, before he releases a new one to toy with?  And if so, don't worry about testing each build, just grab his latest one whenever you get a chance.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Wow. I might try this build out. I always liked the drifting (and blazing?) hulk effect that the later WC games had, it seems more realistic than having a ship always blow-up into bits.

Offline Topgun

no, I mean coders a releasing builds before I can have a chance to test them.
See what I mean!
anyway great work :yes:

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
See to me, it still sounds like you're trying to say you're the QA they should pass a build by, before they put it on the forums  :doubt:

Offline Topgun

I am.

:nervous:

:lol:

So is this committed to to trunk?  I can imagine that the WC saga guys have been looking forward to something like this for their mod.  In remember once reading once that they were.

Though what happens if AI tries to fly trough debris?   I remember loosing the Colossus after destroying the first sathanas because a huge hunk of debris went and collided with the ship. That was a real killer for me, right when I thought I had won the mission.

Don't get me wrong I personally love it and feel it really enhances game, in my perspective. But there are bound to be a few missions suddenly made more challenging.  Though I don't really mind redoing a mission. who knows on the other hand it could also make a mission slightly easier ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 09:37:15 pm by Darklord42 »

Offline Solatar

I'm using the cutscene bars. They look great, but instead of coming on when I turn them on and going off when I turn them on (I have them turned on the entire time) they just pop up whenever my subtitle sexps fire.

The fade out goes full black/white/red instead of gradually fading and fade in doesn't seem to have any effect.

:nervous:

Debris looks awesome. Won't break mission balance as far as I can tell because it's a table option per ship.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Couple of questions.

Firstly, would it be possibly, to have like a split debris? Where you can define to have half the ship float a little ways off, and it looks like the ship has been split into by the shockwave.

Secondly, Would it be possibly to up the HP on the debris, where when you shoot a hulk it adds momentum to the piece without destroying it, so that when it is hit it goes flying off. It would actually give the illusion that you are blowing off pieces.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline WMCoolmon

Again, that's kind of confusing.  Do you mean you need to play his previous builds, before he releases a new one to toy with?  And if so, don't worry about testing each build, just grab his latest one whenever you get a chance.

Yeah, all of these builds build upon one another, so the latest build will have all the features of and some extra bugfixes for the old builds.

So is this committed to to trunk?  I can imagine that the WC saga guys have been looking forward to something like this for their mod.  In remember once reading once that they were.

Though what happens if AI tries to fly trough debris?   I remember loosing the Colossus after destroying the first sathanas because a huge hunk of debris went and collided with the ship. That was a real killer for me, right when I thought I had won the mission.

Don't get me wrong I personally love it and feel it really enhances game, in my perspective. But there are bound to be a few missions suddenly made more challenging.  Though I don't really mind redoing a mission. who knows on the other hand it could also make a mission slightly easier ;)

It's not committed to trunk but I expect it to be. This sat in the unstable branch for quite awhile without problem, and it'll let people work on better debris for the MediaVPs and have it take effect in 3.6.10.

If AI tries to fly through debris, it'll be a problem if the AI doesn't have any debris avoidance code. I don't think it does, since it wasn't a big issue in Freespace 2, but I haven't actually checked. It'll be up to the people making the debris to make sure that it doesn't cause any problems. It's not going to change anything as long as the table settings aren't there.

Couple of questions.

Firstly, would it be possibly, to have like a split debris? Where you can define to have half the ship float a little ways off, and it looks like the ship has been split into by the shockwave.

Secondly, Would it be possibly to up the HP on the debris, where when you shoot a hulk it adds momentum to the piece without destroying it, so that when it is hit it goes flying off. It would actually give the illusion that you are blowing off pieces.

The first thing is already in. I guess I didn't mention it in the first post, but in addition to the above settings, I've also been using "$Expl Propagates: NO" to take screenshots. This is because for capital ships, Freespace 2 will split things up, and it looks a bit odd to have spaced-out debris just sitting there. Or at least it did when I was testing, but then again I was expecting to get ship hulks - so it might be something to play with on certain models and with different speed settings.

Second thing is that I've noticed debris seems pretty strong when hit with primaries. However, I haven't tried hitting it with a Tsunami or something. I would guess it'd be pretty easy to add momentum to the piece - rotational momentum might be a *****. I also don't know how well debris would handle collisions with each other or if that's what people would want, and finally, I'd also have to deal with the mass of the object as well. Obviously you don't want a Fenris-sized chunk moving as fast as a fighter-sized chunk when you hit it with something. I could simulate that with radius, but mass would be a lot more accurate and reasonable as well (and possibly seem more intuitively correct, as it would be a proportion of what the original ship did when you hit it.)
-C

Offline WMCoolmon

By the way, for the next build I'll probably rename the "Velocity" in the table fields to "Speed" since it's a scalar rather than a vector.
-C

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Odd issue is cropping up in this build...

When you hit the afterburners with a ship locked, you entire screen/HUD shake EXCEPT the target brackets.  It gives an extremely odd visual sensation, very distracting.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Already Mantis'd.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Already Mantis'd.

Thanks, I forgot to check.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Hm, do you have any idea what causes the electrical spark effect to make any texture near it to become pure white for a split second? It's annoying to see a white flashing ship when it is about to kick the bucket.

Offline WMCoolmon

Hm, do you have any idea what causes the electrical spark effect to make any texture near it to become pure white for a split second? It's annoying to see a white flashing ship when it is about to kick the bucket.

No - is this something specific to my builds? I noticed that there were some arc textures included with the shaders, so I would suspect it's something related to that.
-C