Author Topic: Please Test - Trunk r5020 Dec 29 2008 + some of taylor's (and echelon9's) fixes  (Read 8321 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Please Test - Trunk r5020 Dec 29 2008 + some of taylor's (and echelon9's) fixes
Taylor wanted me to get a test build out so this could make it into SVN sooner.  Please try this build out and report your findings on the comments noted below.

fso-WIN-20081229_r5020-glfixes.7z

The diff for r5022, if you're interested

The changes include:

The patch...

• Deals with a couple more debug warning messages that happen often, but are pretty much useless to debugging (or anything else).  Some messages happen a lot, are basically pointless, and do little more than hinder the search for real issues.

• Adds a minimize animation for the minimize-to-tray function of the standalone server.  I can't remember if I actually finished this completely, but I believe that I did.  If you want to test it then just do a build, start a standalone server, and minimize it.  If the little "animation" looks ok then it's good.  Before, the window would just disappear on minimize, which can cause a minor usability issue.

• Fixes a problem with movie playback under OS X when using an ATI card.  This may also fix a movie playback issue for Windows ATI users, where the movie plays in a small part of the screen even when they don't use the scaling option.  Whether it helps Windows users was never confirmed though, which is one of the reasons this needs to be in a general build rather than my multiplayer test builds that most people seemed to ignore unless they were into multi.

• Has some fixes and changes to lights in GL.  Two changes addressed definite bugs, with the other changes just being something that I had a personal problem with rather than being actual bugs.

• Fixes a problem with TEXTURE_RECTANGLE compatibility.  One of these issues was simply a bug, the other changes address issues with ATI compatibility that I found while working on the movie playback problem.  The movie code no longer uses TEXTURE_RECTANGLE, but the interface graphics still will if needed.

• Fixes various problems with the GL state code.  There were issues there with getting default values correct, resetting values, returning to the correct texture state properly, as well as how disabling/deleting textures was dealt with.  I'm not sure how these bugs might have manifested in the graphics code, but they were certainly some big issues with the code and even if nobody saw them now then it would almost certainly become a problem in the future.

Additionally, this contains a fix for GLSL on Macs, and another OpenGL tweak or two since the last test build in this thread.  So please try out this latest build one more time, and make sure nothing has broken on Windows yet.  It should be committed within a few days.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 03:51:23 pm by chief1983 »
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Member!

Re: Please Test - Trunk r5019 Dec 22 2008 + some of taylor's fixes
Hello.
Just wanna let you know that I have tested this build on my WinXP with ATI X1950XT and X1950Pro with OpenGL Version 6.14.10.7056 (Cat 7.11) and the movie problem is now fixed. All intro movies are now playing in fullscreen. In addition the game play feels much smoother.
Thank you very much for this!!! :yes: :D

Jeah this build rockz....

with my ATI x800 Pro i can now enjoy the Movies in the right size. Thanks a lot !!!!!

Greets Peter

Offline sfried

Awsome! It works.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 12:11:42 am by sfried »

But little question?

how i can disable the FPS  and the Datas in the upper right Corner ???

Greets Peter

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ok, looks like this is getting committed sometime this week.  FPS display should be a checkbox in the launcher, or try using a regular and not a debug build.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Please Test - Trunk r5020 Dec 29 2008 + some of taylor's fixes
Update, new build in first post.  Please check it out, it contains some OpenGL changes that we need to verify don't break anything on Windows before we commit them.

Offline neoterran

Re: Please Test - Trunk r5020 Dec 29 2008 + some of taylor's (and echelon9's) fixes
Umm, well if there are GLSL fixes for mac, shouldn't be also be able to get a mac build ?
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Please Test - Trunk r5020 Dec 29 2008 + some of taylor's (and echelon9's) fixes
Did you even look in this category:)  As I just got a reply from you in the other thread, it appears so.

Offline neoterran

Yes, my bad. And i'm finding some interesting things out, if you read that thread further :D
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline sfried

No problems encountered so far in the Dec. 29 build.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I guess I should report that I used it for a while with nary a hiccup as well, save for the odd barely noticeable skipping in the tech room, but that could have been there before.

Oh jes - was my mistake : i launched the Debug Build.
Now with regular no Frames showing ;)))

Greetings Peter

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
The new build seems to stutter and the framerate has dropped from the 5019 taylor build.  I'm running windows with an ATI x800 pro card.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Seems to work fine when I run it in windows on my Macbook Pro with a Geforce Nvidia 8600 so nothing broken as far as I can see.  In fact, I think it fixed a slight bug in FS port where sound wasn't lining up with the intro movie.  Or at least what I thought was a Fsport bug.  didn't happen on any other movie file.

Offline Echelon9

Seems to work fine when I run it in windows on my Macbook Pro with a Geforce Nvidia 8600 so nothing broken as far as I can see.
That's a really good data point to hear from that it is working fine. We'd love to be in position where running in OS X or in Windows on the same Macbook Pro hardware is pretty much equivalent (== not !=).

Well i thought you wanted to know that your fixes didn't break anything in windows no mater what the hardware was.  The fact that it is the same hardware would eliminate needless variables, so I'm not sure I understand your meaning.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ok, as it seems these changes have made everything far better than it sounds like they could have done any damage, it's been committed.  Will be in the next nightly build, r5028 or higher.

Offline jakeslogan

• Star Pilot
Heyyy, this is really great, this build fixes the prob "intro cutscene show up only in the upper-left corner of the screen and won't scale up to fullscreen" that even happened while I was using a GeforceFX5500 card with Nightly 5020 or 5024. Nice work!!!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 10:24:53 am by jakeslogan »
[size=20]Freespace 2 + Star Trek: Bridge Commander = Perfect Space Simulator Game.[/size]

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
i get a little improvement in fps except in huge explosions but all in all its great , thanks
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."