Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid V - A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME  (Read 3107 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Metal Gear Solid V - A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME
Played it for a couple hours today. It's the most Hideo Kojima game Hideo Kojima has ever Kojima'd, and it is amazing.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Re: Metal Gear Solid V - A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME
Konami still sucks
Stuff

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
It's the most Hideo Kojima game Hideo Kojima has ever Kojima'd

Meaning?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Meaning that unless you are already invested into the Metal Gear mythos and accustomed to the kind of quirks Kojima brings to the table as a game and narrative designer, this is not the game for you.

If you are, however, it's a must-play.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Its been getting excellent reviews and the game play and sandbox looks stellar.

If I've never Metal Gear'd before would I be able to pick up and play with this one or am I not going to have a clue what is going on?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Its been getting excellent reviews and the game play and sandbox looks stellar.

If I've never Metal Gear'd before would I be able to pick up and play with this one or am I not going to have a clue what is going on?

You're very likely to not have a clue whatsoever. The game is probably still going to be fun (because the gameplay is excellent), but the story will probably end up being very frustrating indeed. The game assumes, at the very least, a working knowledge of the events of MGS3 and MGS: Peace Walker (which are the games preceding it in the MGS chronology); if you do not have that, you will have absolutely no clue who all the people you're interacting with are or why you should care about them or what it is they're trying to accomplish.

I don't think it's necessary to have played these games (Peace Walker in particular is a very long game in its own right), but I think you do want to read up on what happened or watch the cutscenes on youtube. If you do decide to play them, be warned that you'll definitely need a console, as neither MGS3 nor PW have been released on PC. Personally, I would recommend the MGS HD Collection for PS3 and 360, as you'll be getting all of the relevant titles there (and you'll get the absolute mind**** that is MGS2 thrown in on top).

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I say just jump in. You'll be able to delight in how insanely bat**** everything is.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I got about half an hour into the original MGS once before the archaic mechanics and what-the-hell-is-this general atmosphere turned me off.  Someday I need to take another crack at it.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I say just jump in. You'll be able to delight in how insanely bat**** everything is.

That'll work for storyline, but not as long for side missions.

Though sheep rising into the sky on balloons is funny a few times.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Okay, I've been checking up some of the gameplay footage and I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on this experience, does it play well on PC?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, it's a very good port.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Awesome.

One last question, since this is a console prime I assume there isn't going to be some game of the year package right round the corner?  I'd like to avoid a situation like Human Revolution where the Director's Cut blows the original out of the water.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's possible. There are strong indications that a significant part of the ending was cut at the last minute; it's entirely plausible that Konami will pretty that stuff up and release it as DLC.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I wouldn't count on it. Isn't the studio pretty much gone?

Konami has been rapacious about monetizing this game (selling the demo for $40!), but I have a hard time believing they still have budget or manpower to finish the cut content...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Last I heard was that Kojima was still under contract with Konami until December.

i'm fairly sure that they're not going to call him back to make dlc at this point
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Last I heard was that Kojima was still under contract with Konami until December.

If they think they can get enough for DLC out of him in that time, they're crazier than the purple worm in flapjaw space.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Slayer's never Metal Gear'd before first impressions!

Snake Plissken in Escape from the Hospital!  Plus Big Trouble in Little Afghanistan!

This is a really beautiful game, granted I haven't been keeping up with the bleeding edge of the AAA curve for a while but it hits a lot of the same visually impressive open world notes I felt from Red Dead Redemption.  Haven't dug real deep into it yet but I'm starting to wonder if scary floaty ginger and Johnny Storm were not simply a result of people injecting me with stimulants and the foreign bodies jutting from my brain case.  The do it your own way gameplay is very rewarding and being able to plan and execute the means to the objective quite satisfying.  While some of the menu navigation is a little unwieldy the development options seem pretty impressive.  There appears to be a lot of depth neath the very pretty trappings.

I will update as I progress.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
To echo jim sterling: **** konami

I've only seen bits and pieces of this game on youtube, and everything I've seen of it have been crazy in a good way.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Snarks

So I've played it and beaten it. I have to say it's a very technically proficient game with excellent gameplay. However, the narrative is very unlike any of the other MGS or MG games. Parts of this is due to story reasons or perhaps a lack of polish on the script before a forced release. To put it shortly, it's a very good game but a very poor MGS game.