Author Topic: GTCv Deimos  (Read 86854 times)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
From that angle... it still looks like an elephant.
Try separating the lower engine from the frontal part just a little, maybe that will help.
And I agree, the dish and the spikes do not fit in there... if you want to fill the area, you can make a pipe come out of that part and connect with the area around the two beam turrets, something like a cooling system pipe of some kind (just a random idea).
el hombre vicio...

Offline Kolgena

I think the trunk appearance may be remedied if the front thruster is moved yet more forward, so that the "trunk" portion is shorter.

On the retail model, the nose thrusters seem to extend further down... it also makes them look shorter, hence that bottom turret placement seems slightly less wrong.
Apart from that, I agree with GalEmp and the others, it could do with less curviness and a less organic look.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah, I think you might have gone a little overboard with the smoothing. It looks like a plush toy~

The radar and sensor spikes also look out of place.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
So that's what the retail model looks like. Gotta say, it looks very different without its texture. Much, much simpler.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

I like where this is going.
Since the Deimos represents a new generation of battleships, this smooth approach is quite fitting IMO.

Besides, the elephantish look will vanish as soon as the model  is textured.

I think it looks more like an elephant seal anyway :P
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 11:22:08 am by SkycladGuardian »

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I think if it absolutely needs to be changed, the ventral thruster could be slightly shorter. Otherwise, the Deimos looks sleek, modern, and fast, and I love it.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Since the Deimos represents a new generation of battleships, this smooth approach is quite fitting IMO.
That's exactly what I'm going for.

Anyway, I'll probably change the bottom engine a little bit, mostly shortening it and making it a bit less trumpish, but I'm keeping the Deimos curvy.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I dunno, I only started liking your Medusa when it got really angular and detailed.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Funny thing is, it's, if anything, gotten LESS curvy since before the bottom engine was attached (mainly the body) and no one had a problem then! And now it's as if I've gone and killed all that is holy and dear to the world. In fact, I was told several times by several people to 'make it curvy and not a greeble monster like the Medusa' and that's what I've done, and now some of the very same want it reversed?
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Pardon us, we don't know what we want, but we'll recognize it when we see it  :p

That's about the only excuse I have for myself.
el hombre vicio...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Funny thing is, it's, if anything, gotten LESS curvy since before the bottom engine was attached (mainly the body) and no one had a problem then! And now it's as if I've gone and killed all that is holy and dear to the world. In fact, I was told several times by several people to 'make it curvy and not a greeble monster like the Medusa' and that's what I've done, and now some of the very same want it reversed?

The model is not far enough along to really judge it yet.

Offline Sololop

I can see it now.

Also, I know Hades knows how to make a ship look good. I'm sure he will revise it again and again until he has something that looks decidedly awesome, because that's just what he does.

That's what you get for listening to other people.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
All those people complaining about the greeble on the Medusa are retarded. You make greeble great, much better than you do smooth. I'd like to see more greeble on that Deimos.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
All those people complaining about the greeble on the Medusa are retarded. You make greeble great, much better than you do smooth. I'd like to see more greeble on that Deimos.

+1
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
It seems like why it looks more rounded is that the forward lower engines don't quite extend far enough down and go too far back? I donno.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Kolgena

I know this is contrary to what I usually do, but we should all shut up and let some more progress happen.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Thanks for posting that shot of the retail model. It helps me illustrate what I see as the primary lines of the Deimos. I don't want to see them too broken up; I'd prefer to see the massing of the high-poly Deimos defined by the smoothgroups of the original model.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
When you get down to it, the Deimos really isn't a blocky ship. There are many smooth lines going on there.