Author Topic: [Preview] Knossos 0.5.3  (Read 23087 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: [Preview] Knossos 0.5.3
Ah, that makes more sense lol.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline m!m

I am hoping that any dependency management system will keep track of mods installed only as dependencies vs those specifically installed by the user.  This way during an uninstall, any orphaned dependencies can be prompted to be removed as well, or left behind by the user.  Any orphaned deps elected to remain should probably be added to the requested mods at that point.  An exception could be mods that only exist to be dependencies, something we don't really have yet, but maybe could at some point in the future with this new system, similar to how the Source Engine is broken out.  Those things could be cleaned up without prompting if they ever existed.  This is mostly just to keep in mind for potential future iterations, but tracking requested vs dependencies is probably something to get right out of the gate.  It's a feature of most of the better package managers out there that some of the less mature ones commonly lack, which can be frustrating.
Distinguishing between requested mods and dependency mods would be nice to have but is not really necessary right now. As you said, all mods that are currently "actual" mods that can be played. If we ever add support for mods that are only dependencies then it would also require UI changes (since those mods should not show up in the Explore or Play sections by default).

Modifying mod installs has been implemented a while back and currently only the UI for it is missing (it got lost during the UI rewrite). I want to add it back but I'll have to think about the UI. The modify button sounds fine but I'm not sure how the dialog after that should look. The simplest case would be a list of checkboxes (one for each package). The user could then check or uncheck the packages they want to (un)install.
Could the existing installation dialog be reused? It already has a list of all packages with checkboxes so after the user made their choice Knossos could figure out which packages should be deleted and which should be installed.

The uninstall issue consists of two bugs: a) I need to implement a check which disallows uninstallation of any mod which is required by others and b) your uninstallation failed. I think b) is due to the fact that the mod.json doesn't actually contain a list of files. Since this is a special case and I agree with mjn, I should just hide the uninstall button for the retail mod.
The retail prompt (the popup that asks you to select a FS2 folder or exe) should always show up if the FS2 mod doesn't exist. I guess I need to correct the condition for that.
I agree. Uninstalling retail FSO is not a very common task so disallowing that completely shouldn't cause any issues.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
If we ever add support for mods that are only dependencies then it would also require UI changes (since those mods should not show up in the Explore or Play sections by default).
Especially since we already have mods that are only dependencies: the FSO builds.
FSO is displayed the same as mods because Knossos mostly treats it the same, that said I want to add a filter which hides builds and make it the default. I think the sorting menu would be a good place for this.

On an unrelated note, Knossos currently hides installed mods from the explore tab. This makes it impossible to install more than one version, it also makes it impossible to see which versions are available. I want to show all mods on the explore tab but mark the installed mods either with an icon or maybe by dimming them.

Offline m!m

FSO is displayed the same as mods because Knossos mostly treats it the same, that said I want to add a filter which hides builds and make it the default. I think the sorting menu would be a good place for this.
The same filter could be applied to these "dependency mods" so that they aren't shown by default but the user can chose to show them.

Can you actually "Play" an FSO executable? I remember that I saw a Play button on an FSO entry at some point but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Recently I changed the Play button to only show on mods and TCs, so the answer is no. It was there before though (and it would still work if shown now).
The filter I had in mind was a simple if(mod.type != 'engine'), if we assign a special type to dependency mods then we could filter those out the same way but I'm not sure if that makes sense. I guess we'll have to wait and look at it once a use case for that appears.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
I've uploaded the fixed FSO version, made it impossible to uninstall mods which others depend on, added a check to the upload code to prevent file conflicts and I've fixed the error on the settings screen (I forgot a string to integer conversion).
That should hopefully fix most of the reported errors.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
On an unrelated note, Knossos currently hides installed mods from the explore tab. This makes it impossible to install more than one version, it also makes it impossible to see which versions are available. I want to show all mods on the explore tab but mark the installed mods either with an icon or maybe by dimming them.

Good idea. I'll toy with some options to see what looks best and is clearest from a UI standpoint.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Whatever you changed recently fixed a lot of functionality! :yes:

A few things to look at from my poking around this afternoon.

I had BP, FSO, and MVPs already installed. They showed on the Explore tab with "Install" as an option. I clicked it and it really just did an update of some sort? Might want to make sure that was intended functionality and if so, when that's the case, the button should say "Update" instead of "Install".

Additionally, during the install, I still had the option to click "Install" on the Explore tab even though just under that button was another button with the install progress.

I still can't launch Retail.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Yeah, I fixed a few bugs which I found thanks to the automatic error reporting. The update button should work as intended now if you use the home tab (you can try it by uninstalling FSO, going to the explore tab, clicking details for FSO, selecting version 3.8.0-1 and then clicking install. When you now go to the home tab, the FSO block should have an update button).

You're right, the explore tab should show an update button where appropriate. The reason that Knossos doesn't do it, yet, is that for this to work I need to query both lists (local and remote mods). As mentioned above, this already works on the home tab but I should also implement it for the explore tab.

The duplicated install button is a simple oversight and should be easy to fix.

To fix your retail issue: open the FS2 folder which contains your retail files. There should be a mod.json file, open it and then replace ">=3.8.0-RC3" with ">=3.8.0-1". Restart Knossos (or click refresh) and try launching retail again.

I've changed the explore tab to also display installed mods, they should be marked by the little green icon in the upper-right corner. It's easy to miss but once you know it, it should be enough of an indicator.
The install button in your case installed the new version but didn't touch your old version; now you have both! The update button actually removes the previous version. Beside the fact that it doesn't prompt which packages to install (it always installs the packages you had before) it behaves the same as the install button.

I've also implemented banners. Feel free to test them.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yay! Banners!

:yes: on the other issues.

Separately, when I created a new mod and selected a build, I got the "web cursor not found" issue.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Argh. I never tested that on Windows. FSO doesn't use a window for that error message on Linux which is why it didn't show up there. If you just click "Exit", then everything still works as intended since FSO is just run to get the flag list. In that situation FSO shouldn't even load anything since I'm already passing -parse_cmdline_only.
This is annoying because that means I need either the retail files or a TC to get the flag list.

I can add a workaround which checks if either of those is installed and use that when retrieving the flag list. That should cover 99% of cases but the error would still show up if you created a mod before installing anything. =/
I'd rather fix this in FSO.

EDIT: I thought of a better workaround. Since FSO just checks if it can load an image called "cursorweb", I could create an empty image and save it as data/interface/cursorweb.png in Knossos' folder and start FSO there. Then it could load the cursor thus suppressing the error message. Now I just need to find out if this works...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:48:31 pm by ngld »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Knossos Alpha Build

I may have helped design the UI, but Ngld has done the real work here. Like seriously.. check this out.

Few bugs aside, and the footage is pretty heavily sped up in places, this thing is already working quite well. Last night I created and uploaded the MediaVPs version 3.6.10 - 2014 and BtA smoothly. That video was on a different computer, so it's a completely fresh install of FS2 and mods. So easy!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Very nice work! :yes:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Knossos Alpha Build

I may have helped design the UI, but Ngld has done the real work here. Like seriously.. check this out.

Few bugs aside, and the footage is pretty heavily sped up in places, this thing is already working quite well. Last night I created and uploaded the MediaVPs version 3.6.10 - 2014 and BtA smoothly. That video was on a different computer, so it's a completely fresh install of FS2 and mods. So easy!

Sweet.  Now we just need a torpedobeats or other cool type soundtrack and we can make a promo video.  ;)

Hidden Text: Show

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Aaah, holy**** that looks amazing. Good work you turbonerds  :yes: :yes: :yes:

(Hah, mjn.mixael you fool, now everyone knows your password is ⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫)

Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Aaah, holy**** that looks amazing. Good work you turbonerds  :yes: :yes: :yes:

(Hah, mjn.mixael you fool, now everyone knows your password is ⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫)

:lol: