Author Topic: Release: 3.6.12 Final  (Read 225680 times)

Re: Release: 3.6.12 Final
I tried that too chief, I've tried running it with each build installed one at a time. all I can think is since the FS updates found on here will not work without a working retail version of FS, my cd's have something wrong with them.  tried to copy the cd's and my computer can't read the second cd, so that being the one retail needs to work I thing something happened to the cd. Dunno, I just finished downloading Freespace 2 from GOG, lets see what happens now, if nothing else I can play retail at least.
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline Tomo

Nothing as in Freespace itself, no ne of the .exe's (standard build SSE, or SSE2) will work on the launcher, no thing all I get is the busy circle that Vista has then it all just seems like I never clicked anything. Doesn't matter where I put the launcher either, I tried it from the Freespace folder, the desktop , hell I even placed it in its own folder in the "c" drive.
My retail FS and FS2 work fine, I'm thinking I need to redownload everything for 3.6.10
Ok, what's the path of your FreeSpace2 executable?

If you open Windows Explorer and navigate to the FreeSpace2 executable file, the path should be visible - something like "C:\Games\FreeSpace2" or My Computer > Local Disk(C:) > Games > FreeSpace2

- Note that FS2 Open should *not* be placed in Program Files or Program Files (x86), and it is critical that it is not placed in a 'virtual' folder like My Documents or the Desktop as that will cause it to crash.

Secondly, the only parts of Retail FreeSpace2 that are actually required are the VPs (root_fs2.vp etc) and folder structure - the reason for needing a retail FS2 is licensing of the FreeSpace2 content - :V: spent a lot of time and energy developing that content and deserve to be paid for it.
(I just move these around when I get a new PC. Saves wear on the game disks)

Edit:
Mods, can this conversation be booted over to the Support board? Should have been moved ages ago really.

My path was......My Computer / C / Games / Freespace2.

But I think I found the problem last night, since my copy of Freespces itself didn't even work anymore I went to Good Old Games and bought a fresh copy of Freespace 2. Deleted everything and started over this morning. Buying a new copy when I had one is a very small price to pay ($6) to play my favorite game again.
I'm pretty sure something wasn't getting installed of my old cd's.
Now to go back and download all the 3.6.12 stuff again :)

Ok I'll just add to this post instead of starting a new one

The problem WAS my Freespace 2 disks, I installed Freespace from GOG and got the first set of SCP files from the start of this thread and all works fine, now to get all my mods back . Thank you everybody for the help, I'm darn sure I'll have a few more issues before I get it right.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 09:27:42 am by wolfen »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
And here we have an object lesson in why deleting everything and reinstalling FS2 shouldn't be your first port of call. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

And here we have an object lesson in why deleting everything and reinstalling FS2 shouldn't be your first port of call. :p

Yep

Basically I should have read this entire thread BEFORE I deleted the .exe's and tried to install 3.6.12, its apparent that I deleted something I shouldn't have, then I found out my second disk was bad and I lost everything. Oh well I live I learn, one good thing though I get to see my old Buddie Lt Ducacus again.
Been a long time sine I was there LOL
Turey's installer is downloading and opening Blue Planet 2 now. With luck I did it right this time. I have FS2 from GOG on the computer, the backup hard drive AND on a dvd. I ain't losing Freespace again because of being old andstupid.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 05:53:16 pm by wolfen »

Ok everything's done the installer is finished and its all in C/Games/Freespace2
I can get h the launcher 5.5f to fire up but that's all 3.6.12 DOES NOT run on my computer no matter which version I have regular, SSE or SSE2.
I get no error's no clipboard messages, but I did notice one thing if I start task manager Freespace is shown as running under the processes tab.
Do I need to just go back to 3.6.10? Freespace 2 ran fine until I tried to upgrade to 3.6.12

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Look at the data folder. Did the fs2_open.log get updated? If yes, can you post it?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If it says Freespace is running, kill it and try again.  See if it shows up and hangs again in the task manager process list.  Make sure it's in the process list and not just the Applications tab too.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

This is what was in the data folder:

==========================================================================
DEBUG SPEW: No debug_filter.cfg found, so only general, error, and warning
categories can be shown and no debug_filter.cfg info will be saved.
==========================================================================
FreeSpace version: 3.6.12
Passed cmdline options:
  -spec_exp 8.2
  -spec_static 3.5
  -spec_point 8.6
  -spec_tube 1.0
  -ambient_factor 70
  -env
  -mipmap
  -missile_lighting
  -glow
  -nomotiondebris
  -spec
  -normal
  -3dshockwave
  -orbradar
  -targetinfo
  -3dwarp
  -snd_preload
  -mod derelict,mediavps
Building file index...
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\derelict\DerelictPatch.vp' with a checksum of 0xf7d8fb86
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\derelict\DerelictSCP.vp' with a checksum of 0xac988b76
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\derelict\DerelictSCP1.vp' with a checksum of 0x0eff4777
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\derelict\DerelictSCP2.vp' with a checksum of 0x53d979a5
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\derelict\DerelictSCP3.vp' with a checksum of 0xaae56803
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\derelict\DerelictSCP4.vp' with a checksum of 0xf9adafdd
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\multi-mission-pack.vp' with a checksum of 0xcbf102d1
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\multi-voice-pack.vp' with a checksum of 0xd50e7442
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\Root_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xce10d76c
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\smarty_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xddeb3b1e
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\sparky_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x164fe65a
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\sparky_hi_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xa11d56f1
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\stu_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xd77da83a
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\tango1_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x4c25221e
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\tango2_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x86920b82
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\tango3_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x705e8d71
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\warble_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xd85c305d
Searching root 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\derelict\' ... 0 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\derelict\DerelictPatch.vp' ... 6 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\derelict\DerelictSCP.vp' ... 86 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\derelict\DerelictSCP1.vp' ... 1618 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\derelict\DerelictSCP2.vp' ... 200 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\derelict\DerelictSCP3.vp' ... 78 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\derelict\DerelictSCP4.vp' ... 203 files
Searching root 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\mediavps\' ... 0 files
Searching root 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\' ... 18 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\multi-mission-pack.vp' ... ERROR: ERANGE: String error. Please Report.
Trying to put into 32 byte buffer:
ÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌ.
File: cfilesystem.cpp
Line: 719
Int3(): From c:\temp\fs2_final_export\code\globalincs\windebug.cpp at line 1155

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Please delete the multi-mission.pack.vp, it's corrupted.

Did it You sir are a genius! thank you VERY much Freespace 2 now works again, I did however fine the 3.6.12d_INF and 3.6.12r_ INF do not work, however  3.6.12_INF_SSE and 3.6.12_INF_SSE2 work fine, 3.6.12r_INF and version d say something about a nebula missing.
I'm back I just killed two in derelict and I'm off now to try my luck at Blue Planet 2 :)
Ya know I think maybe first I'll copy this version of Freespace onto a dvd as it sits now.

Thank you VERY MUCH to everybody that helps me with this stuff, this is why I stay here, I ask questions I get treated like a person, and never flamed for not knowing .

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
First post updated with Visual Studio 6 builds.

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
If you don't know which one to get, get the first one.  If you don't know what SSE means, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions

:( I don't understand any of the gibberish in that article. Guessing it has something to do with whether you use a 32 or 64 bit system..I'm using a fairly new computer with Windows 7 32 bit, so which do I get?

Btw, first post in ages, and I've grown up a bit, so no more annoying orange text x] (for those of you who remember anyway o.O (mobius <.<))
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
SSE2

Offline m!m

SSE isn't related to 32-bit or 64-bit but it's an extension allowing faster calculations.
SSE(1) was introduced with the Pentium 3 and SSE2 with the Pentium 4 (AFIAK).
You can use CPU-Z to check your SSE capabilities but if you are able to use Windows 7 your CPU should be recent enough for SSE2.
If you want to stay safe just download the Inferno build without any SSE.

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Ah ok thanks, I'll go with SSE2 :D
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

I'm kinda curious what would happen if you try to run an SSE build on an older rig... Would it just not run, or would it do weird things?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It would either not start, or crash immediately.

Hey m!m.....Thanks for the cpu program :) I dl'd it and ran it, and found out why I can't make the .INF work :) My processor instructions line says  : MMX, SSE (1, 2, 3), EM64T.

That little program will be VERY useful if I ever need a new main board too :)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That actually, is still odd.  The non-SSE build should run on almost anything running Windows XP or greater, not sure about 2k, and definitely not 98 it seems.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays