Author Topic: Starshatter Downloads Page  (Read 150101 times)

Offline braddw25

Re: Starshatter Downloads Page
rscaper, out of curiosity, are also the modfiles like the solcom and guardian mods preserved or still accessible?

Mike,

All of the mods that were uploaded at Starshattermods.com were preserved on wdboyds ftp site. I have been able to transfer them all to my hard drive and am now in the process of uploading them to

www.spacesimcentral.com

It will take some, but all of the mods will eventually be posted including the two you mentioned and one other one that might interest you called Renegad Legion. LOL I actually am planning on revisiting that mod now that I have gotten better at 3d modelling to upgrade some of the ship meshes to make them look better. By the way, speaking of RL and our old mod team is akalabeth still around? Haven't heard from him in ages.

I've run into a bit of trouble getting Starshatter to start up.  For the record, I followed the instructions in the opening post to the letter.  When I first attempted to launch the game it told me I was missing a DLL file.  Specifically, msvcr100.  I downloaded the missing DLL from dll-files.com and chucked it in the game directory.  This time when I attempted to start the game a new error message appeared.

Please forget that a site like dll-files.com even exists :P Those things do generally more harm than good.

As for the error posted, that one generally hints at a corrupted registry. I generally do not like to advise it, but using one of the registry cleaning programs available may be able to help here.

I ran the registry cleaner built into CCleaner recently and it came back clean.  This Windows install is not that old.  Maybe a year tops. 

This has to do with a missing Visual C++ Redistributable package but I can't remember which one. In the original install guide at starshattermods I had a link that The E provided that fixed this issue. As soon as we figure it out I'll update the OP.

For right now here's the MS Answers Page.

I download and installed Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Packager for (x64), Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package for (x64), and Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64).  I also downloaded and installed the security updates that were available for them.

Unfortunately, this did not resolve the issue.  I'm still receiving the same error message as before. 

Now that you have the C++ package installed try deleting the mvscr1000.dll or whatever it is from your starshatter directory. From what I have read the current error you are getting come from mismatching 32 and 64 bit programs. This is just a shot in the dark, but give it a try and see what happens. If you go back to getting the original error then some have solved this by copying the .dll into their system32 directory. By advised though that microsoft support does not think this is a good idea, but apparently it does work for some folks. I would at least try deleting the file from your starshatter directory and see what that does.

I already tried removing the DLL file.  The game just goes back to telling me I'm missing it.  I also ran a search of my entire main drive.  Turns out my computer already has the so called missing DLL file.  I think it might be a different version though.

I also checked and I have the latest Direct X files.  I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this. 

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I have Starshatter with an nVidia card and Win 7 x64 and it works.  Have you tried installing the DirectX 9.0c redistributable package from June 2010?  IIRC MS stopped included all necessary DirectX files to run older games, so you need that to run them.  I didn't have to, but Steam has installed 'DirectX' files for older games many times, so I think that covered it for me.  EDIT: Steam has also installed MS Visual C++ 20xx packages too.. IDK which ones, but I have 2005, 2008, and 2010 in add/remove programs at this point.  Maybe 2005?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 03:22:44 pm by jr2 »

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
rscaper, out of curiosity, are also the modfiles like the solcom and guardian mods preserved or still accessible?

Mike,

All of the mods that were uploaded at Starshattermods.com were preserved on wdboyds ftp site. I have been able to transfer them all to my hard drive and am now in the process of uploading them to

www.spacesimcentral.com

It will take some, but all of the mods will eventually be posted including the two you mentioned and one other one that might interest you called Renegad Legion. LOL I actually am planning on revisiting that mod now that I have gotten better at 3d modelling to upgrade some of the ship meshes to make them look better. By the way, speaking of RL and our old mod team is akalabeth still around? Haven't heard from him in ages.
Could you point me towards that ftp site?
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline braddw25

I would love to point you there, but it's a privately owned and password protected ftp site. I am not sure that the owner would be happy with me if I were to give out his sign in information.  If there is something specific that you want, let me know and I can make sure to get it uploaded to spacesimcentral now. I anticipate all of the mods being uploaded to ssc by the end of this week anyway. At that time all the mods will be available to anyone who wants them.

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I would love to point you there, but it's a privately owned and password protected ftp site. I am not sure that the owner would be happy with me if I were to give out his sign in information.  If there is something specific that you want, let me know and I can make sure to get it uploaded to spacesimcentral now. I anticipate all of the mods being uploaded to ssc by the end of this week anyway. At that time all the mods will be available to anyone who wants them.
That's fine, I was just going to mirror everything on fsmods. I'll just wait until you get them up and upload them myself, or I can give you a temporary ftp account for fsmods.
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline braddw25

That's fine, I was just going to mirror everything on fsmods. I'll just wait until you get them up and upload them myself, or I can give you a temporary ftp account for fsmods.

However you would like to do this is fine with me. You can either download them, or if you want to save yourself the time, give me the ftp address and I can upload them just like I'm doing at SSM. Whichever you prefer is fine with me. Thanks for offering to host the mods too. I appreciate it.

Offline braddw25

All of the mods from the old site are now available in the download section of spacesimcentral.

Offline starlord

great! good to know that the uniques like the honor harrington, andromeda, and star frontire: knight hawks are preserved! kudos to all!

Bradd, out of curiosity, did you also manage to contact achilles?

Offline braddw25

great! good to know that the uniques like the honor harrington, andromeda, and star frontire: knight hawks are preserved! kudos to all!

Bradd, out of curiosity, did you also manage to contact achilles?

Unfortunately I have not been able to find him. I sent an email to his last known address and I got a message back saying that it was not a valid address. He was far and away the most active modder we had, and I really hope he'll find his way here soon.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
You could try doing a google search for his e-mail address to see if you can find a place that he still frequents, IIRC I did that once to track someone down.  You could also try using the IM part of the deal; maybe he still uses that (I doubt it but hey!) e.g., [email protected] < just try using Yahoo IM and see if they are ever on, even if they don't ever check that e-mail any more.

Offline braddw25

You could try doing a google search for his e-mail address to see if you can find a place that he still frequents, IIRC I did that once to track someone down.  You could also try using the IM part of the deal; maybe he still uses that (I doubt it but hey!) e.g., [email protected] < just try using Yahoo IM and see if they are ever on, even if they don't ever check that e-mail any more.

Thanks for the suggetions, JR2. I've already tried that and haven't had any success. I did find his facebook page and sent him a message. I haven't heard anything back from him yet.

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I've blocked downloading through request.php. You'll have to use the download.php links I posted now. If this is an issue, please let me know.

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline braddw25

I've blocked downloading through request.php. You'll have to use the download.php links I posted now. If this is an issue, please let me know.

No issue at all. Thanks!!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Could somebody link another mirror (that isn't FSMods)?  My AV (required for school internet access.  It's a pain) doesn't let me use it.

Offline braddw25

You can download the game at

www.spacesimcentral.com

It can be found in the downloads section in the new builds folder. Enjoy!!

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Could somebody link another mirror (that isn't FSMods)?  My AV (required for school internet access.  It's a pain) doesn't let me use it.

What does it complain about? I do not believe fsmods has had any issues for a couple of years now.

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I'm pretty sure someone got firewall issues about FSMods as of not-too-long ago. Might have been on IRC.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

What does it complain about? I do not believe fsmods has had any issues for a couple of years now.

"The URL that you are attempting to access is a potential security risk. Trend Micro OfficeScan has blocked this URL in keeping with network security policy."

Yeah, it's dumb.  But unless I want to not be able to connect to my campus internet (which is all of my internet during the school year), I can't ditch it.

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Well I've given TrendMicro some "feedback." Their designation must be based on old information, or a false positive. I'm going to go through my backups now to see if there is anything odd.

Formerly known as Swantz