Author Topic: I cannot get the installer to patch  (Read 3901 times)

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: I cannot get the installer to patch
wxLauncher complains because you only have the retail exes.
You probably need the FSO exe files.

Offline Yarn

I tried to figure out the copy past of a screen shot but failed miserably.
If you're running Windows 7 or later (and it looks like you're running Windows 7), you can use the Snipping Tool that comes with Windows. Here's how to use it:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

Here is what I get when I try to use the launcher.  It tells me I don't have any executables in the file folder.
You have to use that dialog box to browse to your FS2 folder (in your case, C:\Games\FreeSpace2). However, before you do that, you should take care of one more thing:

So here is what my game folder looks like.  As you can see there are EXE files in the folder.
True, but those are retail EXEs. WxLauncher requires a FreeSpace Open EXE; the current one (3.7.4) can be obtained here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=92181.0
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
If you used the FreeSpace Open Installer using the link at the top of the page, you can re-run it and be sure to check at least one of the FreeSpace Open 3.7.4 boxes.  You can probably use AVX if your processor isn't more than a few years old, but if you're not sure you can try Windows Standard.  (SSE and no-SSE are for ancient CPUs if i understand correctly).  This will install the .exe for you in the directory you chose when you opened the installer.

Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline SOFBear

Thank you all.  The FS Open EXE was what was required.  I frankly am just blown away at the work you guys have done.  I am just speechless at what you guys have done.  I came here last in '09 and was impressed, and gave a donation (one will be forthcoming).  And just so Yarn knows I did my homework here are a couple of mystery folders that appeared on my desktop.  Are these normal?  Now I am just impressed beyond all measure.  Thanks for the pointers and the tip on the Snip tool.  That will come in handy at work as well.  A co worker used paint to do this but this is much easier.  Thank you a TON.

I opened up Cardinal and it seems like it is directly related to the FS1 story.  Is that correct?  Should I go back and play FS1 and Reborn before Cardinal.  It's been over 10 years since I played FS 1!  And you guys got it looking, in my kid's term....sweet!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Yarn

And just so Yarn knows I did my homework here are a couple of mystery folders that appeared on my desktop.  Are these normal?
Those are files, not folders. I'm not 100% sure what they are since the full names aren't visible, but I'm guessing those are PDB files, which exist basically for debugging purposes. Just move them to your FS2 folder.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178