Author Topic: High Poly GTD Orion  (Read 118704 times)

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
We do some pretty heavy testing before we allow things into the MVPs.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

GUESS WHAT POOR INSANE **** IS GOING TO PROBABLY BE DOING THIS ALL OVER THE SHIP oh wait that's me ****

I'll of course sign any fangirl's breasts whe- wait **** there's only dudes around ****
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

May I just say that this new Orion looks totally sick? Well, it does!  :yes:

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
I shall show your glorious piece to all my lady friends! (no pun intended)
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
hooray progress! work faster! XD
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline Hades

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:17:16 am by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
That's a serious overkill with roundings. It looks almost like a toy.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Hades

That's a serious overkill with roundings. It looks almost like a toy.
It actually looks more like it was built instead of modeled, imo. Right angles are also, structurally, less 'powerful' and more prone to breaking under pressure.

----

Also, update. The back of the rear hangarbar was completely redone to the totally ****ed up proportions. I plan on at least chamfering the edges of that bit, to bring the look of it in line with the chamfers on the rest of the mesh. Also a bunch of other stuff added or proportions fixed.

http://p3d.in/hpiO6
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
You just made me gain a whole new level of respect for the Orion Hades, for too long I saw it just as a flying brick with a hangar, now I love it!

*Prepares for inevitable witch hunt*   :headz: :headz: :headz:

Also, don't forget the rounding can be made subtle with a good texture Kobrar.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Looks like an Orion. I don't mind the roundness, but it'd be nice if there were more sharp edges in some places  like the hangar.

Overall, well done. Anything is better than what we currently have.

Offline Kolgena

Well, the current HTL Orion isn't THAT bad. This one is still quite a nice upgrade though.

I don't have any complaints. It keeps the original's feel while adding details that visually make sense. I can't wait to (eventually) see the textures on this thing.

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
What's that? I need some thick cables so I can complain about this model! But nope. No complains. Just awesomeness.
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Kolgena

Actually, on second look, the bricks are too heavy. Change it.

Also, turrets are too salty.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 07:23:46 pm by Kolgena »

Offline Hades

----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
A lot of empty plates just screaming for details. Mounts for beams are not a good idea, due to necessity of making other version for FS1-era Orions. A lot of the polys are just worthless roundings everywhere, they killing character of the model and don't have anymore purpose, and... Where are the antennas?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
He said he was gonna make two versions. I think it looks pretty awesome. I can't really tell what's changed without a comparison shot from the last version, but that might be the point. Thumbs up

Offline Hades

He said he was gonna make two versions. I think it looks pretty awesome. I can't really tell what's changed without a comparison shot from the last version, but that might be the point. Thumbs up
It's ok, most everyone who posts work in this subforum ignore Betrayal anyway.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Hades

SDM is also right in that I forgot to mention what changed; the large armor plates on the right and left side near the bottom rear had their trim detailing modeled in (and in the case of the one on the left of the ship, I redid the entire thing too)

EDIT: http://p3d.in/MZUjq Also, newer version with some details added. Left the earlier one up that is about 5 posts above so people can see the differences.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 02:54:45 am by Hades »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

excellent work so far, but i do have two questions.

1.) are you going to put the forward pointing antenna arrays on the lower hull? (probably a dumb question)

2.) Is there going to be a portside nameplate area like on the bobbau's (if that's the right one) orion?

Offline Hades

1) Yes.

2) Yes.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL