Author Topic: Why keep this separate?  (Read 6119 times)

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Re: Why keep this separate?
Why not just "Freespace Upgrade Pack"  produced by the "Freespace Upgrade Project"  -- all FSP.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
FreeSpace HD MediaVPs Graphics and Everything Upgrade Pack

FSHDMVPG&EU for short.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
We should retain the MVP part to smooth transition. I think a visual only name is fine.

I spent quite a large amount of time trying to figure all this out. As an outside observer, I found it hard to figure out that this was a thing...and not just some random folder. I figured that "MediaVPs" was most likely higher resolution videos, if it wasn't just the videos outright, as that's what "Media" tends to imply. It never occurred to me that it was a mod I should launch the game from.

It looks like a lot of work has been put into this, and I'm a bit sad I missed it during my playthrough. I think that believing my occurrence is a one time problem would also be a mistake...the only reason I caught it is because of my natural curiousity, and many people would have just never realized anything was missing to begin with.

Out of curiousity, would there be any way to make this all as a check box on the actual launcher to turn on these models/sound files etc? I know, I know, different teams...but it seems like the work you guys are doing could be applied to all the mods. I don't know enough about the games infrastructure, but it's a shame that your models can't be something to port into everything, and require their own launch.

At any rate, keep up the good work. I like what I've seen so far.

Offline LHN91

In general, this is what happens, actually - mods include a configuration file that directs the engine to load the MediaVPs and any other required mods, so ultimately almost every mod makes use of the upgraded assets.

The primary issue is that it's not particularly obvious\intuitive that playing the original campaign with upgraded graphics requires selecting the MediaVPs as a mod.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yup. Rename is imperative.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Why not the team's name, then? FS Upgrade Project seems pretty self-explanatory. If the mod was named that, it'd be more obvious what it does.

In general, this is what happens, actually - mods include a configuration file that directs the engine to load the MediaVPs and any other required mods, so ultimately almost every mod makes use of the upgraded assets.

The primary issue is that it's not particularly obvious\intuitive that playing the original campaign with upgraded graphics requires selecting the MediaVPs as a mod.

No ****, it took me while to figure that out. I remember I used to select Derelict as an active mod to get the prettiness upgrade because I has no idea what the mediavps were. Now, it would be less of a problem for people that are using wxLauncher, as it appears in the mod tab.

So yeah, it could really use a better mod/download name.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Why not the team's name, then? FS Upgrade Project seems pretty self-explanatory. If the mod was named that, it'd be more obvious what it does.
Explained above. Need to absorb documentation and legacy wake. Players will still be seeing folders and mod.inis that say MVPs.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Renaming the folder will be a huge problem unless there's a major change in the launcher's mod handling. I think that most people don't look at the files, and WXLauncher allows, IIRC, setting an alternate name that would show up. Wouldn't that be enough?

good job dragon, you've caught up with where this thread was in its fifth post. we know that we'd only be changing the display name
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
We will not be renaming the folder. We need to retain the MVP term to absorb wake from existing wiki articles and tutorials that use the term.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
surely as all the launcher shows is title in the ini file this is all that would need to be changed, perhaps with a likewise change in the installer file
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Kolgena

Models & Visuals Package.
Modern Visuals Package.
Media & Visuals Package (for the MediaVPs reference that's used almost as much as MVP)

Only problem is that everything is a .vp, and that could get confusing since music.vp is obviously not a visuals package.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Clever! As long as the name explains itself clearly.

I like Media & Visuals best, for sure.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
could just call it Community Upgrade Pack
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
could just call it Community Upgrade Pack

We need to retain the MVP term to (see above am on phone)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
My vote is on Media&Visuals package. It makes sense and fits neatly with the old name.