Author Topic: Falcon Cockpit  (Read 4378 times)

Offline -JoFFa-

Here's what i have so far. The model been redone 3 times. right now i got the most clean, closest to original proportions, welded semi-low poly (optimizations for nice view to come). The reference was the actual drawing - for construction of the cockpit for shooting scenes inside it.

1. I need this model to be placed in game by somebody.
2. Shadows - inside cockpit for the user - MUST work.
3. If you have a person for me to talk to - for the modding features and such - i'm willing to do it. If some of the features i speak of will be enabled - then i can make some editing - then we will get  to certain state were i can just add textures. It's a lot of work cause i have yet to learn the FreeSpace way to handle my textures.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:34:40 pm by -JoFFa- »

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Nice start.  It'll need much more detail before it's considered ready to convert into the game, but keep on it and feel free to show us your progress here.

Offline -JoFFa-

Maps. In progress. Teaser.

Offline -JoFFa-

Ok. Heres the progress.

As you can see, the maps - are a subject to change. I think i will create a mapped version - made out of maps  taken directle from the movies and photos. Then, i will have to make the closest meshes of a details as low poly as possible. And for that, i need a possibility to add to the engine - because i do not want to make a pixelated cockpit. Thus i will make a tests and will transfer models back and forth to see the result.

Help anyone?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
1. I need this model to be placed in game by somebody.
2. Shadows - inside cockpit for the user - MUST work.
3. If you have a person for me to talk to - for the modding features and such - i'm willing to do it. If some of the features i speak of will be enabled - then i can make some editing - then we will get  to certain state were i can just add textures. It's a lot of work cause i have yet to learn the FreeSpace way to handle my textures.

I'd like to offer some help/advice, just give me a few days to sort out some IRL stuff as I've just got home from a two week interstate holiday.

Super quickly:

1) Diaspora has modelled cockpits; that would be a good place to start on reverse engineering what's required (including possibly rendering HUD gauges to cockpit textures).  There's also a cockpit mod for Freespace 2 around somewhere that could be an equally good starting point.
2) Recent FSO nightly releases (3.7.3) support shadows, I just don't know how they interact with cockpits (And they tend to destroy framerates as well :()
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
So, the falcon is probably the only two seater side by side cockpit I think we could be using at the moment, so I was curious, with the eyepoint being one seat, and free look allowing to look around the cockpit, who are we going to see in the other seat?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Lieutenant Kettch

Yub, Yub, chief
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I would be fine with that.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
2) Recent FSO nightly releases (3.7.3) support shadows, I just don't know how they interact with cockpits (And they tend to destroy framerates as well :()

I've heard conflicting reports as to whether the shadows actually affect cockpits or not.  Anyone able to test and/or confirm this for us?  Those shadows within the cockpit itself would be huge for immersion.

Actually....I think I still have the cockpit files from the other Star Wars mod lying around somewhere.  Maybe I'll toss those back in FotG just to test.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Ok.  tested with cockpits - they use shading, but not self-shadows.  That's a shame.  Maybe I'll post in the SCP thread about it.

Offline -JoFFa-

Shadows are IMPORTANT! I can't stress it enough :) Otherwise it will look flat. and if it looks flat - why make '3d' cockpits - right?

I suggest the consideration of using 3 (!!!) poins in Falcon. No to mention 2 additional. As in - the turrets. User can switch between turrets using a hot-key. And there can be an animation fly by trough the Falcon interior. And the option of flyby can ba customised - as check box. Transitions: instant/flyby... Imagine that :)

I've contacted the guy who are making lifesized Faclon cockpit - for help with the detailing. Hopefully he'll reply. :) He got a lot of HD closeups of the details of the falcon he makes.

The more i do Falcon though - the less epic it becomes for me. I see all those small details - which is so...details of some things from 70's :)

Falcon is not a 'piece of Junk'. It's a 'Pile of Junk' wonderfully put together :)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I suggest the consideration of using 3 (!!!) poins in Falcon. No to mention 2 additional. As in - the turrets. User can switch between turrets using a hot-key. And there can be an animation fly by trough the Falcon interior. And the option of flyby can ba customised - as check box. Transitions: instant/flyby... Imagine that :)

Quote from: -JoFFa-

If you can get any one of these actually working in the game, we will all be very impressed. It will take a lot of research and development.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Shadows are IMPORTANT! I can't stress it enough :) Otherwise it will look flat. and if it looks flat - why make '3d' cockpits - right?

To better support TrackIR (& similar) by providing a frame of reference for when your view is off centre? :)  e.g. Diaspora has some ~gorgeous~ cockpits even without shadows.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Could you not bake lighting into it or something to give it depth without needing shadows?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy

To better support TrackIR (& similar) by providing a frame of reference for when your view is off centre? :)  e.g. Diaspora has some ~gorgeous~ cockpits even without shadows.

Yep.  Head tracking is rediculously disorienting without a frame of reference.

Could you not bake lighting into it or something to give it depth without needing shadows?
Yes, which is the approach most have taken, it just becomes static, which is obviously less impressive than newer game engines that can handle fully dynamic cockpit shadows.

Offline -JoFFa-

Yes, which is the approach most have taken, it just becomes static, which is obviously less impressive than newer game engines that can handle fully dynamic cockpit shadows.

Exactly.

And yes - there will be a map called... Err.. Occlusion? It has a certain qualitu to make things shadowy... But without Dynamic shadows - the mod will be less impressive. Technology gone too far. BTW, do not want to sound blasphemous but, did anyone ever considered of porting - to Unity (5)?  The mod in development for some time now(9 years?) Surely all assets made since the beginning can be used.

Working on the model. In a week - will show you the update. Stay tuned.

If you can get any one of these actually working in the game, we will all be very impressed. It will take a lot of research and development.

Not me..:) I'm a 3d modeller, not a programmer. Unfortunately(?)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
BTW, do not want to sound blasphemous but, did anyone ever considered of porting - to Unity (5)?  The mod in development for some time now(9 years?) Surely all assets made since the beginning can be used.

Nope :p There's a heck of a lot more to a game than just the assets, porting to Unity/UE/Cry/etc would take years more work.
----
----

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
BTW, do not want to sound blasphemous but, did anyone ever considered of porting - to Unity (5)?  The mod in development for some time now(9 years?) Surely all assets made since the beginning can be used.

Nope :p There's a heck of a lot more to a game than just the assets, porting to Unity/UE/Cry/etc would take years more work.

Well, there was our April Fools joke last year.  And I apparently made it sound way too plausible because I was surprised how many people took it seriously.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

Well, there was our April Fools joke last year.  And I apparently made it sound way too plausible because I was surprised how many people took it seriously.

It certainly caused me to literally raise an eyebrow as I read it. Somehow I didn't think you'd want to pull a Daikatana or DNF with that kind of development hell, though.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta