Author Topic: New Fred 'n FS CVS build  (Read 15523 times)

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
New Fred 'n FS CVS build
You can't hear any difference with the current files!

The reason is that they were sampled at 22KHz when recording / mixing them for the game.

The difference will be apparent only when listening to new files or versions of the files that were recorded at 48KHz.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
New Fred 'n FS CVS build
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
Er, correction; messages.tbl stores info in an array, whose size is determined with the variable MAX_MISSION_MESSAGES. They wanted the array size bumped, but I keep thinking of it as the maximum messages in a mission b/c of the variable name.

You never know though. :p

one the one side we are using mainly missions to tell the story of the game (not to count our 200 pages novell :) )

Due to a very complex story line we also  have a lot of different characters that appear more than one time in the game. There are 5 wing commanders, 6 wingmen a few generic pilots, which we call red shirts.

The messages.tbl only allow 7 entries (if we replace Vasudans)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
New Fred 'n FS CVS build
Please fix the hud positioning.  The reticle energy gauges as well as both shield icons are shifted towards the upper left hand corner.  I know that's not realy a new bug, since about the first build with modular hud gauges, but I thought I'd post this with the hope that it might get fixed.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
New Fred 'n FS CVS build
Originally posted by Flaser
You can't hear any difference with the current files!

The reason is that they were sampled at 22KHz when recording / mixing them for the game.

The difference will be apparent only when listening to new files or versions of the files that were recorded at 48KHz.

The reason I ask is that DaBrain claimed he was having trouble in this thread using the 22khz effects w/ 48khz sound.
-C

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
New Fred 'n FS CVS build
Is that 48Khz Mono or Stereo?

Offline WMCoolmon

New Fred 'n FS CVS build
Stereo.
-C

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
New Fred 'n FS CVS build
Thank you :) A game tends to be broken up into 3 parts, Gameplay, Graphics and Sound, it's nice to see the 3rd section being taken on :D

Offline Axem

New Fred 'n FS CVS build
Small complaint about this build of FRED, I can't seem to select any music for the mission. Other than that, looking good. :yes:

Offline WMCoolmon

New Fred 'n FS CVS build
Fixed both of those bugs, thank you for reporting them. :)
-C

Offline WMCoolmon

New Fred 'n FS CVS build
New build: http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/latest/C06172004.zip

• Fixed mini-hull-strength info (Hopefully for good)
  • Fixed FRED music list
  • Freespace 2 now only loads used weapons effects. Perfect if you're using high-res weapons effects.
  • Sound quality is now settable through registry variable SoundSampleRate and SoundSampleBits; default values are 22050 and 16, respectively.

If you plan on messing with the sound quality variables, note that it's currently experimental. I actually have no clue if anything actually changes. Someone with proper sound expertise PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE check and see if this ups the sound quality if you're using higher-quality sound files.
-C

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
New Fred 'n FS CVS build
[If you plan on messing with the sound quality variables, note that it's currently experimental. I actually have no clue if anything actually changes. Someone with proper sound expertise PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE check and see if this ups the sound quality if you're using higher-quality sound files. [/B]

In theory, if you have the sound settings set to 44.1 Khz, and your source sound files are the same frequency, you should be able to listen to the file in unmixed quality. Meaning that you shouldnt be able to hear any difference, better or worse.  I havent tried plugging in a 44.1 K sound file in place of one of the 22.5 K sound files.  I'm sure it'd be easy to test, but it'd take me some time.   There would be no way that the game could "clean up" already existing 22.5 K files just by setting the sound settings at 44.1K, as it would have to re-sample the audio file whenever played, and that just wouldnt work in a game, unless it's just changing it's sample RATE.  

IF the game changed the sample rate, you would be able to tell immediately the difference between settings caused, and the changes would be undesirable.  Sample rate changes change the pitch of the sound, whereas if it actually re-mixed the frequency to the desired freq, it would sound different quality-wise.  Put simply, remixing the samples is like listening to a file that's been encoded as an MP3 at 64K and then again at 196K   Ovbiously, you want your source to be as high as possible, then downmix from there.  Otherwise, when you try to "up-mix", the sound will sound terrible.   I dont know if FS ever did mixing like that.

After reading this thread  changing the physical sample rate of the existing file usually will not yield better sounding sounds.  If you were to take a 22.5K file and up mix to 44.1K, you would probably get a little more distortion in the sound.  Sometimes, I experience an increase in treble, which produces higher pitched sounds, which sound more annoying to me than anything.  

Anywho, I shall test and see if running a 44K file thru makes a difference or not with these new settings.

So to test, just add the registry DWORD 's as listed above with the decimal value of what I want the sound to be set at?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 02:25:16 am by 1825 »

Offline WMCoolmon

New Fred 'n FS CVS build
First of all-those sounds really are higher-quality. I grabbed them off of Freespace 2 Sector, they're the MP3s on the site converted to OGGs and processed to have the same music as their end-product counterparts.

And yes, that is correct-although I'm pretty certain that at the moment it will only effect sound effects and not music. Music is played on its own, separate buffer, it seems.
-C

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
New Fred 'n FS CVS build
I gave our script a short glance... We have 6 main pilots, 6 command grades, 8 red-shirts/fodder. That makes 20 personas:wtf:
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a feature™
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
New Fred 'n FS CVS build
EDIT : posted to Mantis
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 05:14:28 pm by 29 »
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
New Fred 'n FS CVS build
I've inserted a 44.1 K file in and have tried the three popular modes (11,025, 22,050 and 44,100) and can hear no difference between the modes quality or pitch wise.  I bet this would be an OK addition to the soundtrack buffer if possible.  It'd be nice to have music for new campaigns in higher resoultion than what the original limits are, though I dont think it matters,c ause with my samplerate set at 11,025, the engine still plays the sound I inserted which is a 44,100 hz file, 16 bit the exact same sound, quality...

Offline WMCoolmon

New Fred 'n FS CVS build
*Grumbles* So there's no difference with SoundFX or voice?

BTW thank you, even though it's not what I wanted to hear. :)
-C

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
New Fred 'n FS CVS build

• Fixed mini-hull-strength info (Hopefully for good)

[/B]

Were you refering to the hud mis-alignment I was bit... that is, complaining about?  If you were, then I'd like to report that its still screwed.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline WMCoolmon

New Fred 'n FS CVS build
Yes, that's it. You don't have a hud_gauges.tbl anywhere in your Freespace 2 directory, do you? I could've sworn it was working properly.

*Crosses fingers*
-C

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
New Fred 'n FS CVS build
Oh, I missed your question.

DB: Which mission are you having problems with?

I tried the first mission. But it also happend in other missions.
The main problem were the comm voices.

But it might be related to another problem I have.
http://mgo.maxgaming.net/mantis/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0000196
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

New Fred 'n FS CVS build
Query:
Are the modular .tbl files in this build?
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.