Author Topic: Launcher 5.4 Release Candidate  (Read 33779 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Launcher 5.4 Release Candidate
As we gear up for a new FS2_Open release, it's time to try and get some of the Launcher issues fixed as well.  Have a go at this test build, make sure old bugs are fixed, and no new ones have found their way in.  And be sure to Mantis bugs that haven't already been reported.  If it's not in Mantis then it won't be fixed.

http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/testing/Launcher.rar

Most of the changes here are small, basically addressing the issues that 5.3 introduced:
 - no longer complain about spaces in directory names
 - let you know if OpenAL32.dll is missing rather than just the stupid "flag file not found" message
 - fix crash on long list of cmdline options
 - fix Win2k specific issue with long list of cmdline options
 - handle issues with mod listings having extra spaces and "," in them
 - ... plus a bunch of other small issues being fixed ...

New things:
 - OpenGL is the default graphics API now (your current setting doesn't change, just so you know)
 - There is now a slider for the OpenGL anisotropic filter setting

Planned for version 5.4 final:
 - remove non-standard resolution checkbox, having it always enabled (I've done far too much work on that stuff to still have it considered experimental)

This does also include any previous fixes by Phreak, though I don't know exactly what they all are.  The main thing I know of for sure that he fixed is that OpenGL video modes will now list anything that your video card is capable of (like D3D does) rather than just some preset list.

Report any problems/issues, but do it quickly so that we can have this fixed Launcher version done for 3.6.9.  Also report any possible missing options that you may have requested previously as well.  But remember that this Launcher is getting replaced by a completely new one in the coming months, so please don't ask for any new bells and whistles unless they are really and truely needed.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 10:21:08 am by karajorma »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Re: Launcher test build (for current Launcher)
Build updated at existing link:
 - get rid of non-standard res checkbox for OpenGL (list all modes, but with a small indicator as to whether a mode is non-standard or not)
 - add color depth drop-down list (the resolution list will now only list a mode and skip color depth)
 - add drop-down for bilinear/trilinear texture filter.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Very nice. I really like the OpenGL options.  :yes:

There is still one thing I'd like to see changed: The sound tab. It still looks like I'm using DirectSound. Even though I'm pretty sure I'm not using it anymore. ;)
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I was going to add the caps button functionality in there, but decided it's basically useless anyway so why spend the time on it.  A FSAA setting would be good, but I decided to wait on that for the next FS2_Open version.  Anything else you think should be there?

There is still one thing I'd like to see changed: The sound tab. It still looks like I'm using DirectSound. Even though I'm pretty sure I'm not using it anymore. ;)
Yep, it's on my list of things to fix.  One of the last remaining bugs that I really want to fix in fact.  Basically I'm just trying to find a not-quite-insane method of figuring out if a build was made for OpenAL or not.  This is one of the (very) few times that I wish I knew more about Windows programming. :)

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I was going to add the caps button functionality in there, but decided it's basically useless anyway so why spend the time on it.  A FSAA setting would be good, but I decided to wait on that for the next FS2_Open version.  Anything else you think should be there?

Nothing that is really needed. Maybe sliders for the ambient lightning and the fov. That would look more 'professional'. The Vsync option should also be rather in there, than in the feature tab. And while I'm at it: The 'run in window' also belongs to the place, the resolution is set. Probably not worth the effort though.

There is something else that would be 'nice' to have. IP multiplayer games are pretty annoying, cause you can't just copy and paste the IP in FS2. A possibility to set the IP adress of the server in the launcher would be most comfortable. But again... it's not really needed.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
love the video tab. altough, could someone explain me whats anisotrophic filtering for anyways?
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Shade

It's a filtering process that improves the look of textures that are angled or at a large distance relative to the viewer. It basically makes textures less blurry under those circumstances.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Nothing that is really needed. Maybe sliders for the ambient lightning and the fov. That would look more 'professional'. The Vsync option should also be rather in there, than in the feature tab. And while I'm at it: The 'run in window' also belongs to the place, the resolution is set. Probably not worth the effort though.
All going into the new launcher already, but not this current one.  It's just too much work to do now when it's all getting replaced soon anyway.

The IP address issue is new though, I'll have to try and remember to take care of that for the new launcher.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
There is something else that would be 'nice' to have. IP multiplayer games are pretty annoying, cause you can't just copy and paste the IP in FS2. A possibility to set the IP adress of the server in the launcher would be most comfortable. But again... it's not really needed.

You can open and modify Tcp.cfg in notepad though. Although an IP address thing would be very useful for those people who don't know that.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Updated again.  This will probably be the last update before 5.4 final, so be sure to test it well:
 - fix disappearing drop-down text when switching between video APIs
 - add the "-spec as custom option" fix
 - change DX8 tab to look like OpenGL one (ie, resolution drop-down, color depth drop-down, non-standard resolutions included)

The only thing that's still missing is to fix the sound tab from showing other options when OpenAL would be all that's available.

Offline ME$$ENGER

• The Yellow Peril
I think I *might* have found a problem. Right now I am using FS Conversion 3.03 and it's set up to be a mod with all the FS 1 MVE files in the appropriate folder inside the mod folder (fsport). With launcher 5.3 everything is fine. The correct movie plays depending on my mod setting. For example, if no mod is selected the FS2 intro plays at program startup. If fsport is selected then the original FS1 intro plays instead. However, with 5.4 it doesn't seem to find the MVE files in the mod folder.

BTW, it's not a priority issue. In fact, if I rename the FS2 intro.mve, no intro would play at all even when fsport has already been flagged as an active mod. It could be that I put something stupid in my mod.ini or launcher.ini. I doubt it though since launcher 5.3 doesn't complain and handles it just fine. Anyway, if anyone wants me to post their contents just say so and I'll do it.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Yeah, post the contents of launcher6.ini for me to look at.  Oh, and the contents of the mod.ini file for fsport too.

Offline ME$$ENGER

• The Yellow Peril
Here's my launcher6.ini:
Code: [Select]
#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
[launcher]
exe_filepath = C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_r.exe;
game_flags = -ambient_factor 85 -mod mediavps -spec -glow -jpgtga -mipmap -2d_poof -missile_lighting -img2dds -no_vsync -cache_bitmaps -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ballistic_gauge -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload ;
active_mod = fsport;
Here's my mod.ini in fsport:
Code: [Select]
[launcher]
infotext     = The original Freespace campaigns ported to FS2!

[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondrylist = ,mediavps;

[settings]
flags = ;

You might have noticed that I have mediavps in secondrylist in mod.ini even though it's already flagged in launcher6.ini. Well, for some reasons fsport is unable to utilize mediavps without it being specified by mod.ini. It's no where near elegant, but it works. :P

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
You might have noticed that I have mediavps in secondrylist in mod.ini even though it's already flagged in launcher6.ini. Well, for some reasons fsport is unable to utilize mediavps without it being specified by mod.ini. It's no where near elegant, but it works. :P
Is that with 5.3 or 5.4?  Remove the extra "-mod mediavps" from the custom flags and see if it makes a difference.

Also, if that doesn't work, try running a debug fs2_open and post the top 30 lines or so of the fs.log file.

Offline ME$$ENGER

• The Yellow Peril
Is that with 5.3 or 5.4?  Remove the extra "-mod mediavps" from the custom flags and see if it makes a difference.

Also, if that doesn't work, try running a debug fs2_open and post the top 30 lines or so of the fs.log file.

Both use the same launcher6.ini actually. You are right about the extra mod mediavps being the cause though. Removing it fixed the problem completely. Just out of curiosity, what prompted this change? Is it for avoiding priority conflict? It's just that now if I want to disable a mod and run SCP with just mediavps, I will have to manually add the custom mod flag back in. Yeah, I am that lazy.  ;)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
It's an error use more than one -mod option, since it will use the last one you specify rather than combining them.  The 5.3 launcher had a bug with the cmdline options and when I fixed that it must have fixed this issue too.  5.3 shouldn't have allowed it to work basically.

If you just want to use the mediavps mod then select it as the mod from the mod tab.  If you don't have any weird mod.ini file in the mediavps folder (one isn't even required there) then it will just use mediavps as the mod.

Offline RoniXt

I'm guessing that the thread below has a more current version of Launcher.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,40410.0.html
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 12:22:34 am by RoniXt »

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I'm guessing that the thread below has a more current version of Launcher.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,40410.0.html

Yes, if no problem arises that's going to be 'official' Launcher 5.4 (at least that's what Taylor said).

But remember that the latest version of the game is not RC2 but RC3 (http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,40557.0.html).

@SCP Crew. I think you should put a direct copy of Launcher 5.4 in http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes and post the link here or even modify the first post.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
@SCP Crew. I think you should put a direct copy of Launcher 5.4 in http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes and post the link here or even modify the first post.
Yep, been meaning to do that.  I'll get it updated later tonight.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
sence youre working on the launcher, and im sure all the fredders will agree, put in a fred tab and options. let it use the same mod selector as the game, and put a thing that lets you pick your fred exe somewhere. also throw in a list of fred commandline options.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN