Author Topic: AVX Builds  (Read 12336 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
To add to our ever-increasing collection of TLAs and ETLAs, I give you: AVX.

For those that do not know, AVX is the latest iteration of special instructions to speed up vector calculations, like SSE and its derivatives before.
One very important note: Since AVX is comparatively new, these builds are NOT XP-compatible, and require at least:

-Windows 7
-Intel Sandy Bridge or later
-AMD Bulldozer or later

Please test these for the usual things, but especially test them for performance compared to SSE2 builds. These builds are based on SVN rev 9786.

http://blueplanet.fsmods.net/E/FSAVX.7z
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Sandy Bridge is second-gen, right?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Would they work on Vista, or is Windows 7 an absolute minimum?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
7 is the absolute minimum.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'm packin' a Phenom-II X2, so I'm out.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Veers

On the Blade Itself, I get a low of about 42fps on 3.7 release, and about 46-48fps on the AVX. Normally sits on about the 58-60fps mark anyway.

Otherwise, any specific way to record the performance between the two builds?
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
I notice a slight improvement with the AVX build.  I pretty much get the max frame rate (120FPS) with just about everything but what I've noticed is I get less warnings that FSOPen is maxing out a processor and the warning number has gone from being around 100% to 97%.  Any chance of starting to see AVX builds in the nightlies?
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Eh, but these are only compatible with second-gen and higher i-series processors, I believe. I think the amount of i3/5/7 users here are a minority.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Eh, but these are only compatible with second-gen and higher i-series processors, I believe. I think the amount of i3/5/7 users here are a minority.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=85616.0

Yeah, 40% is lesser than 50, so technically..
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Luis Dias

AVX is the new SSE2 :D

This is great The_E! More performance for free!

The gains here seem pretty marginal though.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
As are the gains between no SSE and SSE, and SSE and SSE2. Sure, they're marginal, but that's pretty good for something that requires basically no effort.

Offline Luis Dias

42 pfs to 46-48 (according to Veers) is more than 10% increase in performance. Nothing to sneer at.

I didn't know there was a hardware survey back in September until I saw the link posted above.  I don't normally view the Gaming Discussion forum.  I have now added my hardware entries into the poll.

Maybe you should re-advertise that poll in a few different areas to get a greater participation from more HLP readers?

The Core series processors are out there more than you might think.  True, many are probably 1st generation.  I just recently upgraded to a Sandy Bridge myself.  (Core i5 2400)  But, we might be surprised how much support for AVX we have today and don't realize it yet.  Even a marginal gain is still good, and might be worth adding an AVX build to the nightlies soon.  I believe SSE2 is currently the "standard" build right now?

As are the gains between no SSE and SSE, and SSE and SSE2. Sure, they're marginal, but that's pretty good for something that requires basically no effort.

It does require differentiating between builds in a way which doesn't needlessly confuse the average user, though.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

That is not a problem. SEE builds already "taught" the community on that one.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
So we would have No SSE, SSE, Standard (SSE2), and AVX.  I still feel like 'standard' being a moving target is going to be confusing to many, but at least it hopefully gets the majority of users using a build that works for them and has the best performance.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Luis Dias

I really could not be more happy having the trouble of going to check if my PC has AVX if that means better performance.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
So we would have No SSE, SSE, Standard (SSE2), and AVX.  I still feel like 'standard' being a moving target is going to be confusing to many, but at least it hopefully gets the majority of users using a build that works for them and has the best performance.
In the HLP survey poll SSE has 1.2 %, SSE2 8.33%, SSE3 44% and AVX 46.4% share of total votes associated with CPU choices. I would suggest making either SSE3 or AVX the next standard build and dropping SSE2 builds, leaving SSE as the last bastion for legacy CPU's. That would leave us with AVX, SSE3 and SSE builds.